What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

View From the Members - Cowboys Game

View From the Members - Cowboys Game

08 Jul 2008

FansDetail-d829f6e4-3f11-4ddb-8f3e-d1cf883d28d4.jpg
Last week we asked Members to send in their views of the Rabbitohs amazing comeback against the Cowboys in Townsville.
Here are some of the best responses we received:
Philip Coller

Eight weeks ago in anticipation that Souths would turn their season around, I bought tickets to the Cowboys game in Townsville. (We live in Sydney). It wasn’t an easy sell job to the wife as we were going on holidays to Cairns and I said I would organise the trip. I made sure we were in Queensland the weekend of the match and suggested we go to Townsville as part of the trip. (A pity the Titans game the week before was a home game as I would have tried for both games!). Once I got the okay for Townsville I mentioned Souths were playing and it would be good to go to the game – the Mrs saw right through my plot but agreed to go.

The game – We sat on the hill with great anticipation after the close win against the Titans on Monday night. The Cowboys were running towards us that half. I got sick of seeing the Cowboys scoring tries only 20 metres from us. I was in shock the first half and don’t recall much of it. The only highlight was rampaging Roy and his great try. I try to get out to most home games and so it was strange to see a lack of red and green at the ground, but a few of the faithful were there. Halftime was a despondent time.

We went for a short walk at halftime to stretch our legs and as we were sitting down for the second half the Cowboys scored again before we had even settled! I had spent the previous ten minutes convincing the Mrs that Souths were a better second half team and would come back. Well this didn’t hold much water when the Cowboys scored again and it was suddenly 28 – 4. At this stage the Mrs suggested it would be good to leave early and avoid the congestion. I must have given her some kind of glare as she then said I can see you are a little upset so I’ll just sit here quietly. I said I want to stay until at least Souths score down this end of the field.

Well they didn’t let me down as the next 30 minutes was brilliant and worth the three hour drive from Cairns. Wingy, Champo, Talanoa and Capewell all scoring at the right end of the field where we were sitting. It was great to see try after try. Issac Luke potting goal after goal was superb and the adrenalin was pumping. The only glitch was the last minute. A knock on from the kick off after Sandow potted the field goal sent the heart racing. The ensuing scrum and the differential penalty saw the blood pressure rising. Relief set in when it looked like it was all over until the referee held his arm up a metre from Souths try line. At the other end of the field we all thought he had given the Cowboys another penalty and the Cowboys fans were on their feet shouting take the two points. In the meantime I jumped to my feet and shouted “I didn’t come all the way from Sydney to see Souths beaten by a home town referee decision.” I felt a thousand eyes upon me as I realised I was in enemy territory. Thankfully the ref was only bringing the Cowboys back to the mark from the differential penalty and their field goal attempt was charged down. Then the celebrations begin, although a little more conservatively as we had to make our way through thousands of Cowboys supporters wearing the mighty red and green! The highlight of the season for me and even the Mrs was smiling.

JulieOur television packed it in a week ago so not having had time nor inclination to go out and get a new one, my partner and I trundled off to the local to watch the game.

It became evident in the first two minutes that this was going to be a vocal game - when Webb dropped the ball and turned over possession directly after kick-off I was jumping up and shouting my support.

The two very drunk men who didn't seem very happy at my vocalness left before half-time, this may have had something to do with my jumping up and yelling out "Go Roy, GO! Woohoooo!" when Asotasi dummied and stepped over for our first try. :)

Going into half time, I felt that even though we had a few lapses we were still in the race.
Then came the first few minutes of the next half, Cowboys trying the short kick caught us off guard and they got in - I saw this as a good sign though, doing the short kick-off meant we must have had them worried.

Then the pub I was in lost coverage of the Souths game! Shock, horror. I slumped in my chair with a gut wrenching feeling as the Cowboys were attacking hard when the screen went blank.

Whilst the pub staff tried desperately to sort out the issue (the Manly game had not a problem which was even more annoying) I sat nervously on the edge of my seat, certain the score line wasn't going to be pretty when it came back on.

Unfortunately I was right, the television came back on at 28-4 - 20 seconds before our second try levelled it to 10. I've never been more grateful for a technical difficulty. I'd missed two tries to the Cowboys so I didn't have to live through that pain other than reacting to the score line when it was shown and as that was registering at the same time we'd just gone in, well, I felt a bit better.

The last two games played strongly in my head - we could come back from this deficit. Then Wingy got the ball - he weaved in and out and went over for four beautiful points. I was jumping up and down and cheering. Yay Wingy! Good Boy! I was so happy to see him go in on his first game back.

As our score edged closer to the Cowboys 28 I could hardly sit still. People who weren't even interested in watching the game caught my enthusiasm and every time we had the ball there'd be calls of "C'mon boys, c'mon the rabbits". When we had that last set of six and played down through the first 2-3 tackles then passed to Sandow I knew (or rather felt I knew) that we had the game won. He popped that ball over the black dot and I, and the pub, erupted in cheers!

All of a sudden there was a kick-off and the Cowboys were being given a penalty? What the …?! I was standing up swearing at the screen, abusing the ref (I do wonder if his ears were burning) then saw the Cowboys miss on their field goal attempt. Now we'd won - more jumping up and down…

Only to see there was something going on and Cowboys had the ball again. Again, a big "What the?!" It became obvious to everyone in the pub that the ref had maybe placed some money on the result and Souths winning wasn't the way he wanted the match to go. Cowboys again with the field goal that was superbly charged down by young Issac.
NOW we'd finally won! Heart pounding I waited anxiously for them to start leaving the field, which they did, and then, for the fourth time, celebrated an amazing win properly.

Maybe next win we can lead at half time and keep it to 80 minutes? Please? "Do you support the Rabbitohs" should be a question before they give you health insurance.

Cathy Gallagher

I didn’t see the Cowboys game, I could only listen. I live in Washington DC and can only hear the games online, usually at 5:30am my time.

Talk about the agony of 28-4 after halftime and the thrill of a 29-28 come from behind victory! I don’t care how early I had to get up, hearing ‘Glory, Glory to South Sydney’ and knowing what this victory must have meant to the players and the fans made it all worthwhile!