What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vive Le Stace

ozbash

Referee
Five years after inspiring the New Zealand Warriors to a grand final, Stacey Jones weaved some more magic to book his French rugby league club Catalans Dragons an historic Challenge Cup decider.

The Kiwis' star playmaker inspired a shock 37-24 semifinal victory over English powerhouses Wigan to earn Catalans a spot in the final against St Helens at London's Wembley Stadium on August 25.
The Dragons became the first French finalists in the competition's 110-year history.
Jones played a big role, kicking six goals and a field goal as well as laying on the match-clinching try to Jason Croker in the dying minutes.
That eased any angst for the Dragons, who conceded two tries while Jones was in the sinbin for delaying a Wigan dropout.
"The sinbinning was pretty tough. I've never been in that position before and I don't know if it warranted a sinbinning or not. I don't really know the rules," Jones said.
"... it was pretty tough watching that. I would have blamed myself had we lost but at the end of day it doesn't matter now."
Jones, who piloted the Warriors to their maiden National Rugby League (NRL) grand final appearance in 2002, labelled today's result a "dream come true".
"The guys have realised they have done something special and it is another level now.
"St Helens are a world-class team and it's going to be special for everyone there."
His coach, Mick Potter, did not understate Jones' role in the Dragons' victory.
"The way he came back on and set up that try says something about Stacey and the influence he has."
Jones, 31, has not played for the Kiwis since their narrow 2006 Tri-Nations final loss to Australia but is yet to officially retire from test football.
Wigan's beaten brigade included former Kiwis Thomas Leuluai, David Vaealiki and Iafeta Paleaaesina, former Kangaroos five-eighth Trent Barrett and Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden.
The Dragons shook off the effects of a 0-30 loss to Wigan last month to race to a 22-0 lead after just 20 minutes, including a try to former Queensland State of Origin centre Adam Mogg.
Former Junior Kiwis forward Alex Chan was named man-of-the-match and struggled to comprehend the Dragons' achievement.
"The game was going so quickly we didn't have time to think about the butterflies but they were there," Chan said. "I played at Wembley for the Junior Kiwis against Great Britain once, in 1993. I hope there'll be a few more people there this time."

www.stuff.co.nz

The little bloke still has what it takes, obviously. :D

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
When is the Final scheduled for? They usually show it live in the early hours over here in Oz. It's been far too long since Stace has been running around in a Final. Don't want to miss it.

ozbash

Referee
I,m pretty sure the Le Castt v Wigan game is on SS3 tonight at 7 pm.
Will be recording the final .

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
What a massive achievement - I betcha it has topped of his move to france, cant beat playing in the first Final at the New Wembley Stadium.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Pretty sure i heard 25th august as the date for the final

I saw the St Helens v bradford game, was good as well, capped off a bit of a league marathon, started off with the Lions, then the Warriors game, Dogs game then Challend Cup semi

Was a beautiful night :p

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
WGHB

Still doing his thing.

Seriously how good is Adam Mogg going over there!!!!!!!

Latest posts