What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vote Online For AYRLA Youth Program Grant

Thank You for Putting this up mate.

If your on your mobile use this link... http://t.co/lz6GQWK6

This is an Open Letter from the person who we coordinated with at the Rhode Island Training School about the Program itself. Thanks for your support.

Rhode Island Training School
Division of Juvenile Correctional Services
57 Power Rd.
Cranston, RI 02920
Tel. (401) 462-7224 Fax. (401) 462-7392

September 6, 2012

To Whom It May Concern:

I want to take an opportunity to acknowledge the Youth Rugby Program at the RI Training School. In February of 2012, the Institute for Nonviolence, Extreme Sports Division, introduced Lawrence Almagno and the RI Rebellion to the RI Training School. At that time, Administrators at the RI Training School arranged to bring the Rebellion into the Facility and introduce our population to the sport of Rugby. The sport of Rugby and the Rebellion were welcomed by the young men at the Training School with open arms and the program has been thriving for the past six months.

Hearing Officer Zuena and Rebellion Founder Lawrence Almagno have supervised this program and coordinated weekly practices and various events since the program?s inception. Participants began learning about the sport of Rugby by viewing exciting videos of game play. Within a very short period of time, every resident wanted to be involved. Quickly, drills turned into scrimmages and scrimmages turned into full-contact games. Highlights of this program have included inviting the New Zealand Police/SWAT Rugby Team to the Facility for a tour, scrimmage with the youth, and a pizza party for all of the participants. Our residents continue to talk about this exciting experience every day. Another wonderful highlight of this program was gaining the support of community members. Namely, Paul Ullucci and Ullucci Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy who was gracious enough to outfit each of the Training School participants with grey Ullucci Sports Medicine shirts that they proudly wear for each of our practices. The Rugby season concluded with a ?soup to nuts?, full-contact game of Rugby between the RI Rebellion players and the RI Training School players. Residents were partnered up with professionals and outfitted with authentic Rebellion uniforms. The field was lined for a rugby game, and there was an official referee. All staff and residents at the Training School attended the game, with the female residents on the sidelines cheering for their favorite team. This event concluded with a cookout for the entire facility and an awards ceremony for all of the participants. These are some wonderful memories that the youth participants will never forget.

Bringing the sport of Rugby to the RI Training School has done a number of wonderful things for the Facility. We have been able to expose the residents of the Training School to new and exciting opportunities awaiting them upon release. We have been able to highlight each participant?s strongest attributes and help each participant to acknowledge and show pride in his own accomplishments. Most importantly, we have been able to motivate our youth to do things that they never thought were possible. Namely, these young men have been able to battle on the Rugby field week-in and week-out without displaying any negative behavior. Rival gang members have played side-by-side to accomplish one goal?becoming a better Rugby player and a better person. In many cases these youth, who considered themselves ?enemies? in their communities, would face off on opposite teams and compete against each other in a full-contact game of Rugby. They would prove their worth on the field and never bring the rivalry back into the Facility when the game was over. Each practice and each game would conclude with all participants shaking hands and congratulating one another. No one was allowed to walk away from this symbolic event.

On behalf of the Facility and all of the youth participants, I want to thank the RI Rebellion and all of the stakeholders for believing and investing in our youth at the RI Training School.

Sincerely,

Jason A. Zuena
Hearing Officer
RI Training School
jason.zuena@dcyf.ri.gov

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I've just voted and I implore every member on this forum to take just 1 minute and do the same for what is a very worthy cause!

deluded pom?

Coach
I had a look during the week and there are lots of competing causes and I viewed a fair few of them but the ones I saw were miles behind where the AYRLA currently is. Let's not get complacent though. We need to keep voting.

druzik

Juniors
Rugby League Reforming Youth

November 6th, 2012
By Daniel Andruczyk

One of the nicer things I get to do with my line of work is that I travel and have the opportunities to meet new people in Rugby League. I of course refer to my physics work and this week have been in Providence, Rhode Island at a conference. Of course Providence is the home of the Rhode Island Rebellion owned and run by Lawrence Almagno. However, what is probably less known is that, through Lawrence as the USARL’s youth director, the American Youth Rugby League Association is also based in Providence. This gave me an opportunity to find out a bit more on what AYRLA is and what its doing to get the youth of Rhode Island and America to play Rugby League. So I caught up with Michael Kelly the Chief Financial Officer for AYRLA.

Read more...

deluded pom?

Coach
I had a random search the other day of about twenty of the other candidates and I only came across on with more votes. Hopefully we can push on to the thousand mark soon.

league13

Juniors
With the amount of members that use these boards the AYRLA should be well out in front.Anyone who hasn't voted so far please make the effort.

deluded pom?

Coach
The rate of voting seems to have slowed right up for the AYRLA. Come on guys we need to reach a thousand before voting ends.

league13

Juniors
Would all you guys that were voting for the AYRLA please get back to it.These kids and the organisers need our help and they are only asking for your vote.We are not far off the closing date now.One good push should take us past the 1,000 mark.