What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Panthers Rd11

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
But I'm even more confused now. A 'strip'? But wouldn't that be a one-on-one strip, and therefore legal? It was just Pompey and the Panther, wasn't it?

Either way it was all meant to be. It tested our ticker, so to speak. Us fans I mean, and us forum members right here, specifically. We passed the test, although I'd like to hear from a few others soon, just to be sure.

It wasn’t during that initial collision. I think it happened several seconds later and was probably penalised for being a strip after the tackle was completed. They never really showed it properly though.

Kick it dead from kickoff!

What a great start!

Panthers on our 30m.

Edwards scores between Pompey and Montoya.

0-4 2mins

Yeo loses it on their 40m.

1st attacking set uneventful.

Martin not square at marker but no penalty for Egan.

Ford off for HIA.

Montoya with a nice break, TMM kick terrible and easy catch for 7 tackle set for Panthers.

Panther lose ball under DWZ tackle.

Was that an Up The Wahs chant?

Egan down after a tackle.

Ref said to get him off for HIA.

It's the Magic show/round with disappearing players!

Egan gone for game for sure.

Warriors called for inside the 10m.

Panthers on their 45m.

Panthers try goes up no try and confirmed Martin knock on.

Offload back by 17, but touched by Panthers, ran away to score, goes up not try and confirmed touch.

Jazz play the ball rolled back looked ugly, called lost. Challenged and unsuccessful. Really was bad play, not lost.

Poor pass by JFH goes out for Panthers.

TMM bomb knocked on 5m out.

Martin to long in tackle and tackle restart.

Montoya scores in the corner DWZ style and injured (landed on elbow). Did Well Off a poor pass by CNK. Should be 8 point try as shot on him after scoring got him high!

4-4 23 mins.

JFH not square at marker and penalised.

Start on their 35m.

6 again, Panthers inside the 10m.

Walker stopped by own man Roach with line open.

Panthers lose the ball in the tackle on their 45m.

AFB trys to offload and Panthers regather thr scraps.

I break by Lui and opens us up from 70m out, 1 pass and back to him to score.

Stepped between Roach and Ali.

4-10 32mins

Panthers lose it on tackle 1 after points.

AFB puts it down 5m out.

Montoya earns a penalty with quick play the ball leg pull on him.

Start on their 30m.

CNK passed to deep into line and pass knocked on by Panthers.

Panthers knock down the pass on the right this time, knowing the clock has less than 30 Sec on it.

HALFTIME.

Ran it on last to be tackled on their 30m.

Jazz play the ball interfered with.

Yeo takes out CNK on penalty and he off to the bin!

Start On their 35m.

Ali scores straight away. TMM got Lui to turn in.

10-10 44mins.

Panthers stuff up play the ball on their 20m.

Edwards in front of the line in front of the ref and nothing.

Pompeys turn!

Great Pass by TMM again!

16-10 50mins

Peking Taken high in a falling tackle.

Starting on our 35m.

Yeo back on.

Hip drop by Ale and penalised.

Roach knocks down Lui pass on last 20m out

Yeo scores.

Walker fell for dummy runner, leaving massive gap.

16-16 58mins

Crusher on Peki let go!

3 tackles later CNK loses ball in tackle on our 35m.

TMM kick goes to deep and 7 tackles for Panthers.

Ford lift between the legs, and other dropped out, player in dangerous position.

Peki called high shot on Panther winger who lost ball 2m out and penalised.

6 again inside the 10m, we not allowed to do what Edwards did.

Panthers score.

Cut between Pompey and Montoya, CNK caused Pompey to turn in.

16-20 68mins

Walker stays down.

JFH with a hip drop, ref does nothing!!!

No sin bin, no consistency on the obvious bad ones.

Jazz offload come just before held call, but called back.

Peking scores!!!!

Worried about some inside runners there.

20-22 73mins TO LONG LEFT!!!

TMM hit after the kick and in the air let go!!!!

But Panthers get a penatly as Bunty hits slipping Panthers high!

Held inside out 30m again, no forward with hit ups.

Panther make the break!

Pompey smashes him and called play on, then penalty for what???? f**k off. Strip?

Edwards misses it!!!!!!! f**k off.

22-20

FULLTIME

I've just watched the match highlights. So, that last penalty which Edwards missed, had Pompey tackling the Panther after he had his foot on the ground. Isn't that not 'tackling in the air'?
I think they called it lost back, then Panthers regathered and we stripped it out of what they called a tackled Panther, as we thought it would be called lost forward as all those normally do.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Webby should have words to Jazz about blowing our challenge early- might have been a much better time to play it. Thankfully it didn’t matter.
Ah, that answers my question as to who that was who blew it. Jazz is far too hot-headed to be a captain. However, he is a leader, and he was epic yesterday, so we'll forgive him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wow - that is a great win.

8 1st choice players out including Harris, SJ and Egan

8 first choice players out, and AFB was completely anonymous. To win with those 8, and AFB a non-entity, is just off this planet against a three-peat premier. It's just impossible to get my head around.

I feel great for TMM, he was given space to prove he can play footy - which we knew before he came here - started scratchy with a poor kick to the corner, but hardly put a foot wrong past that. Our kicking game was adequate, his short passing game was incredibly good, he just ran the side so well.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I'm still surprised at that.
We just never gave up, so much mana on display.

Given the circumstances, especially early on with all the injuries (ie when Ford and Egan both off, and others showing niggles) this has to be one of the best victories in recent memories.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
For true-blue since the start fans, where does this one rank in terms of all-time gutsy, against the odds efforts? Obviously the Storm 08-11 finals, but I mean in terms of round robin games, too. Any others stick out?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
For true-blue since the start fans, where does this one rank in terms of all-time gutsy, against the odds efforts? Obviously the Storm 08-11 finals, but I mean in terms of round robin games, too. Any others stick out?

I keep going back to the match against the Dogs in 2001, the comeback at Wespac. I'll always remember that game.

We also stunned them in the finals a couple of seasons later although I know the point is regarding round robin games.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Nah, finals are good too. That 48-22 game was against the odds? I lived in England so I don't remember it.

Few in here I mostly remember, but some I don't: https://thiswarriorslife.com/2020/05/22/warriors-25-greatest-games/

From what I recall, no one really gave us a chance, then BANG Meli with 5 tries in the match

Yeah, there are some on that list that i don't remember too well, but the majority ring a bell.

One other game that really sticks out that's not mentioned because it wasn't a close game, or would be considered a 'gutsy' performance - About 22 or 23 years ago at Mt Smart vs the Panthers. We absolutely hammered them, and I remember Rhys Wesser going to score and knocks the ball on trying to put the ball down one handed.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Just realized, I feel the 2001-2003 Warriors for me, was the golden era.

I just loved that squad. Jones, Tookey, Villasanti, Ali, Toopi, Meli, FaaFili, Paleaasina, Tony, Swann, Guttenbeil, Cleary, Marsh, Betham, Myles, Seuseu, Hohaia, Carlaw, Webb, Murphy, Faumuina... I'm sure I'm missing more

Big Marn

Juniors
I think its been mentioned in another thread but there was the huge defensive display against Penrith many years ago.
Penrith were given the run of the coop by the ref that day and we were just camped on our tryline for what seemed like most of the game. Tackles inside the 20 was 59-8. Somehow we didnt concede and won 12-6 with no scoring by both teams in the second half.
Found this link. hard to find a video with any quality.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think its been mentioned in another thread but there was the huge defensive display against Penrith many years ago.
Penrith were given the run of the coop by the ref that day and we were just camped on our tryline for what seemed like most of the game. Tackles inside the 20 was 59-8. Somehow we didnt concede and won 12-6 with no scoring by both teams in the second half.
Found this link. hard to find a video with any quality.

Great call, I remember that game. Didn't Micheal Luck make 70 tackles? EDIT it says 62.

vvvrulz

Coach

Not as epic as Sunday, but very similar start to the match.

I'm sure it was this: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...10/newcastle-knights-vs-warriors/summary.html

It's early into 2002 and we weren't taken completely seriously as a club yet - Wairangi Koopu dropped the kick-off straight out the sideline, let out an epic f-bomb, and usually that's all it took for us to get reamed.

But I remember this was one of the first times we put a gaffe like that behind us, stuck to the plan and ended up putting away Newcastle in their home turf (they ended up second on the ladder that season).

I recall Ray Warren specifically calling out a new "mental toughness" never before seen with us.

Latest posts