What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs St George, Sydney Cricket Ground 4.00pm Sunday 20th March

Channel Nine went too far in showing distraught Julie Burgess as Sam lay injured

Date March 21, 2016 - 4:05PM

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer, The Sydney Morning Herald

View more articles from Andrew Webster

• inShare​
  • Burgess eases neck injury fears

Rabbitohs forward Sam Burgess has told fans he's feeling lucky after positive early scan results.
PT0M39S 620 349

Is too much sport barely enough? Yes. Sometimes it is.
When Sam Burgess is flat on his back on the field, with medical and coaching staff hovering over him, and we all wonder just how bad this neck injury he's suffered actually is, then is it really necessary for Channel Nine to keep panning back to his inconsolable mother, Julie, high in the stands?
No. It's not.
Nervous moments: Sam Burgess is taken from the field on a medicab. Photo: Mark Kolbe

Take me inside the rooms. Give me the interviews with the coaches and players as they leave the field. Let Freddie place the ball for the sideline conversion if necessary.But I don't need to see Julie Burgess sobbing, with her hand over her face, as she wonders how serious this injury to her son could beLeave me out of that one, thanks Nine. The NRL's free-to-air broadcaster has come in for criticism for its coverage of the incident in the 51st minute of the match between the Bunnies and Dragons at a saturated SCG.
Anxious: Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe watches Sam Burgess receive attention during the round three NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney at Sydney Cricket Ground.For about 10 minutes, time stood still. The result didn't matter. Having ducked his head while running at the defensive line, Burgess's neck crumpled, and almost everyone knew instantly that he was in trouble.

Everyone, it seems, except Dragons fullback Josh Dugan who thought it wise to get in Burgess' face and laugh loudly … before doing it again.
We'll give Dugan the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't aware how serious the injury was. Replays, though, show Burgess was already wincing in pain, grabbing at his right shoulder when Dugan came in and shouted him down. Not cool.
It should also be pointed out that several Dragons players, especially prop Jack de Belin, showed immediate concern for their rival's health.

What followed then was agonising to watch, for those at the game who could see it all unfold on the big screens and those sitting at home in their ugg boots, catching the action on Nine or Fox Sports.
Within seconds, Nine's ubiquitous Spidercam hovered overhead, trained on Burgess's face and it captured every wince, every "f..k", every scared expression.
And that's where Spidercam stayed from the moment Sammy was injured, to the time when he left the field on a medicab.
That shot revealed the panic that was racing through Burgess, with Nine expert Phil Gould claiming you could see his "confusion and the fear of the unknown".
In other words, just how bad is this going to be? Thankfully, scans have revealed he will be OK.
Yet the decision from Nine that caused the most angst concerned Sam's mother, and two shots of her breaking down in one of the corporate boxes.
The first time came during a commercial break. It was shown on the two big screens at the SCG, but not on Nine's coverage.
The second came when they returned, Julie's hand over her mouth as she struggled to keep it together. It was so invasive that one of her friends, sitting behind her, tried to cover her face.
The Burgess clan are often criticised for being over-exposed. I've always found them to be genuine people.
Following the death of Sam's father, Mark, from Motor Neurone Disease when they were growing up in the north of England, they have enjoyed happier times since moving to Sydney, including a premiership and marriages to local girls and babies.
I'm sorry, beloved Nine friends and colleagues, but showing Julie bawling her eyes out was too much. In Nine's defence, it has no control what Fox Sports or the SCG shows on its big screens.
Not that long ago, a serious injury to a player would require sensitive coverage.
Indeed, the game has never been so sensitive to neck injuries following the tackle on Knights back-rower Alex McKinnon two years ago that left him a quadriplegic.
The bitter reality is any time a player goes down, clutching at his neck, we immediately recall that Monday night game against the Storm at AAMI Park and the weeks that followed.
If there was one upshot to Nine's saturation coverage of the Burgess injury, it was we could see Sammy moving his hands and legs.
Sideline eye Brad Fittler, who has a roving commission as part of Nine's new-look coverage, moved in closer. You wouldn't have known it from the broadcast, but he was slammed by Souths fans on the fence as if he was a reporter from A Current Affair, shoving his foot in the door to get a quote from a supremo builder.
Not so.
First, Fittler understands what a player is going through as much as anybody, such is his experience in the game.
What he was trying to do was get an understanding of Sam's condition so he could take some of the mystery out of what was going on.
"The good thing is Sam's been able to communicate that he's getting a stinging pain between his shoulder blades," Fittler said. "He can move most parts of his body at the moment."
It should also be noted that Gould, Ray Warren and Andrew Johns were also respectful in their description of the incident. They are football people, so they get it. It's understood Nine is comfortable with how it covered the Burgess injury.
It's a tricky balance for Nine to strike. The need for the viewer to know what's going on and cover event - but also be provide some distance and be sensitive all involved.
It's footy. Not a car accident. We don't always have to see everything.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ay-injured-20160321-gnnb6j.html#ixzz43VmIDzkz
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rgess-as-sam-lay-injured-20160321-gnnb6j.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thought the ref went good, apart from that knock back by Dugan, he got every thing else right.

Everything was in your favour.

At work today a Dragons member at the game was saying how in the row behind them Dragons members were laughing and saying Geez we need Maxwell every week. They said we are getting every single call. How great is this they were saying.

It was a disgusting refereeing performance.

Mates of mine who go for St George also said to me that ref couldn't stand Souths and we couldn't get a call.

Rsag85

Bench
What is everyone opinion on the Cannonball tackle on GI in the first half? I thought it should of been a penalty, like to know other peoples thoughts on the tackle.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There was nothing wrong with De Belins hit on Inglis. The ref hadn't called held, inglis was still moving forward with momentum, de belin was entitled to get involved in the tackle, he hit above the knees, in the upper thighs/hip region. It's unfortunate inglis came away injured but it just happens sometimes

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't think the refs were against us. The plus side to having a big bash and barge forward pack is that they can get a roll on like rounds 1 and 2. The downside is that when we get dominated like on sunday and back in the cronulla semi is that we give away to many penalties trying to stay in the game. We were deliberately giving away penalties when defending our line because we had confidence in our defence. Both rein and mcinnes got away with forward passes. We did have a couple of calls go against us but nothing worth crying about.

Rabbits20

Immortal
What is everyone opinion on the Cannonball tackle on GI in the first half? I thought it should of been a penalty, like to know other peoples thoughts on the tackle.

I thought it was a penalty like you did.

I watched it back and I still think that too.

That ref Maxwell was shocking.

A Dragons supporter at my work Rsag who was at the match said in the row behind Dragons members were saying they need Maxwell as ref every week as they got all the calls. They apparently said how much did the club pay Maxwell.

This coming from Dragons members. Even they know how ridiculous the refing was.

On this subject I completely disagree Diego. I've read what you've said and I strongly strongly disagree. Sorry mate that's how I see this one.

I know we will agree on other things though.

Jack_Napier

Staff member

It wasn't a cannonball at all. For it to be rules a cannon ball GI would had to have been hit below the knee. DeBelin hit GI around the hip/thigh. not one part of the tackle was illegal. Carters was a text book cannonball as he hit just that fractionally lower than what is allowed.

It's unfortunate Gi has a supremo knee, but that's not the oppositions problem when commiting a perfectly legal tackle.

Never seen Gi react so much yesterday as well. He's usually ice cold and doesn't react to niggle. Even when he got a penalty he got up and threw the ball at someone's head. Very unlike him. Just onenofnthe as games for most in red and green.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I thought it was a penalty like you did.

I watched it back and I still think that too.

That ref Maxwell was shocking.

A Dragons supporter at my work Rsag who was at the match said in the row behind Dragons members were saying they need Maxwell as ref every week as they got all the calls. They apparently said how much did the club pay Maxwell.

This coming from Dragons members. Even they know how ridiculous the refing was.

On this subject I completely disagree Diego. I've read what you've said and I strongly strongly disagree. Sorry mate that's how I see this one.

I know we will agree on other things though.

R20 where was initial contact on Gi made in that tackle?

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't think the refs were against us. The plus side to having a big bash and barge forward pack is that they can get a roll on like rounds 1 and 2. The downside is that when we get dominated like on sunday and back in the cronulla semi is that we give away to many penalties trying to stay in the game. We were deliberately giving away penalties when defending our line because we had confidence in our defence. Both rein and mcinnes got away with forward passes. We did have a couple of calls go against us but nothing worth crying about.

We had many many calls against us as I've said in some of these threads.

Dragons were offside the whole match, head high tackles, flopping and holding Souths down far too long.

When Souths did this we were penalised.

It was disgraceful.

In the second half when Souths were 30metres out or there abouts Maxwell would put the whistle in his mouth at times when Dragons were infringing but he didn't blow the penalty.

Maxwell knew he was being a smart arse.

I know what I saw yesterday.

Were you at the match Diego??????????

If you were you would have seen what I saw and be saying what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
R20 where was initial contact on Gi made in that tackle?

Just below the thigh and then sneakily twisting GI's knee.

I know what the Dogs are going to do. Keep trying to twist GI's knee and get away with it.

This subject is minor in the scheme of the shit refing yesterday. I'm still angry about it.

Then you've got Des behind closed doors saying the Dogs aren't getting reffed fairly.

Des is whinging as he lost the penalties 8-6.

The Dogs had better not get double the penalties and all the calls this week.

If Souths get Cecchin we are sunk before the ball has been kicked off.

Good luck against Manly too.

Rsag85

Bench
There was nothing wrong with De Belins hit on Inglis. The ref hadn't called held, inglis was still moving forward with momentum, de belin was entitled to get involved in the tackle, he hit above the knees, in the upper thighs/hip region. It's unfortunate inglis came away injured but it just happens sometimes

I have to disagree, GI was standing in the tackle with two guys holding him up and De Belin coming in from behind targeting the legs.

I don't blame Maxwell for the lost but some of the calls in the end played a part in the end result.

You can't win wet weather football with a penalty count of 17 to 9 I think it was in the end and a few lucky calls went the Dragons during that second half that helped

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Just below the thigh and then sneakily twisting GI's knee.

I know what the Dogs are going to do. Keep trying to twist GI's knee and get away with it.

This subject is minor in the scheme of the shit refing yesterday. I'm still angry about it.

Then you've got Des behind closed doors saying the Dogs aren't getting reffed fairly.

Des is whinging as he lost the penalties 8-6.

The Dogs had better not get double the penalties and all the calls this week.

If Souths get Cecchin we are sunk before the ball has been kicked off.

Good luck against Manly too.

Sorry mate but you are just wrong, DeBelong hit Gi thigh high. Below the thigh would indicate he hits him in the knee and that was not even close to being the case. Even my Mrs said nothing was wrong with the tackle, was just unfortunate. You see 10-20 of them a game. DeBelin even came in from the side and not behind the player like Rsag is suggesting.

We'll need more than luck to beat manly buddy, unfortunately I think we'll struggle.

Don't write off your boys either, anything can happen in our great game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I have to disagree, GI was standing in the tackle with two guys holding him up and De Belin coming in from behind targeting the legs.

I don't blame Maxwell for the lost but some of the calls in the end played a part in the end result.

You can't win wet weather football with a penalty count of 17 to 9 I think it was in the end and a few lucky calls went the Dragons during that second half that helped

Correct re some of the calls that played a part in the loss.

Rsag mate, you are a truth teller. Sorry guys but he is.

Correct re GI. I was at the game and re watched the incident and I completely agree.

Penalties were 14-7 mate. Plus other calls against us.

12 of their ones were in good field position.

6 of ours were coming right off our tryline in the corner.

We only got 1 penalty in good position.

In the second half when we were attacking and Saints infringed Maxwell put the whistle to his mouth but wouldn't blow it. He was being a smart arse on purpose and baiting us in the Burrow.

Then you've got Des behind closed doors complaining his side got robbed with an 8-6 penalty count.

With Des carrying on the Dogs had better not get 14 penalties and all the calls this week!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sorry mate but you are just wrong, DeBelong hit Gi thigh high. Below the thigh would indicate he hits him in the knee and that was not even close to being the case. Even my Mrs said nothing was wrong with the tackle, was just unfortunate. You see 10-20 of them a game. DeBelin even came in from the side and not behind the player like Rsag is suggesting.

We'll need more than luck to beat manly buddy, unfortunately I think we'll struggle.

Don't write off your boys either, anything can happen in our great game.

Sorry Nape, Rsag85 and myself are correct.

De Belin twisted GI's knee. He should be suspended De Belin. He deliberately went in there to twist GI's knee.

If it happened to a Roosters player I would say to you the player who did it needs to be suspended.

The Dogs will employ the same tactic this week many times.

I'm sure you can agree with the rest of my post.

Last edited:

Latest posts