What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA Reds v Campbelltown Tigers - Round 8

Perth Red

Post Whore
From WA Reds site:

Date: 18/05/2008Reds continue to learn hard lessons

Another winning opportunity slipped by at Members Equity Stadium on Saturday night with the WA Reds at home giving up too many balls to allow the previously winless Campbelltown Eagles to take the game 36 to 22.
As with the Windsor Wolves two weeks prior the visiting side enjoyed the comforts of the stadium and Perth hospitality too well and made sure they took advantage of the opportunities given to them.
The Reds after giving up a nil to 14 start got back into the match to their credit, and there were some good signs early on as the set plays started to work and they fought their back into the game.
Shane McMenemy was able to feed off some telling passes to set up tries through Jon Phipps and Isaac Thomas. The at the 24 minute mark Josh Irving in his first game back from injury was on the field for just 2 minutes when he crossed the line for a welcome 4 points which was converted by Mick Kestel to give the Reds a 16 to 14 lead.
The game turned into a bit of an arm wrestle for a while and there were good signs from the Reds but they were unable to capitalise and finish off the sets needed to make inroads on the scoreboard.
The boys then relaxed a few mintues before the break to allow another 6 points to the Eagles.
Steve Gherardi provided some grunt straight after half time with some strong work up front which allowed a try from dummy half to Ben Lindegaard which Kestell again converted to wrest the lead back after 4 minutes.
That was the last score for the Reds as they managed to give up penalties and drop balls allowing the pressure to build against them.
The two telling tries for the Eagles came at the 23 and 26 minutes marks when they lobbed kicks onto the try line only for the ball to be given up by the Reds and the Eagles being able to cross the line too easily.

The final score line of 36 to 22 against the Reds will mean some more soul searching for the club as they try to build a reputation in the Jim Beam Cup competition.
While they can look at the skill errors that have marred recent performances, it is an important part of their learning curve that they adjust to the tempo of the game and build to play a full 80 minutes and not rest no matter what stage the game is at.
The management feel the ability is there, but it is the intensity of the group which has to lift to become more consistent.
The team now travels for the next two weeks, before returning to play at home for 4 out of the following five weeks.

Nuke

Staff member
Very disappointing to see. I got the score from one of my teammates early this morning on our way back to Perth from Kalgoorlie. I couldn't believe the Reds lost to the bottom (and winless) team IN PERTH! I had to get him to tell me again who won in fact ...

They're gonna have to pick their game up. That was -on paper- a 'gimme game'.

Good luck to 'em over the next two away games. I'll be there for sure to their next home game.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Very disappointing to see. I got the score from one of my teammates early this morning on our way back to Perth from Kalgoorlie. I couldn't believe the Reds lost to the bottom (and winless) team IN PERTH! I had to get him to tell me again who won in fact ...

They're gonna have to pick their game up. That was -on paper- a 'gimme game'.

Good luck to 'em over the next two away games. I'll be there for sure to their next home game.
Nice win for the Bros, so I heard from Geoff Baldwin at the Reds game?
I'm torn between Joondalup and the Brothers, like having two lovers!

Alehana

Juniors
sounds like a good game to miss, i was only just down the road, could basically hear it.