What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wairangi Koopu Moment

I was thinking how well some teams pay tribute to their long-serving loyal players. Putting the light on them with interviews, stories, making jersey for them, making them run out with the team in front etc. What will the Warriors do for good old kiwi bloke Wairangi? Everyone seems to concentrate on the Wiki's leaving (rightfully so) but we all know Koopu deserves some light and admiration. We all know he wasn't the best of players the last 2 seasons however he has contributed a whole lot of his life with this team. It only makes sense to send him off with R-E-S-P-E-C-T too. A cool idea would be to make some sort of Maori testomonial jersey for him (being maori and the only one to speak it) would be suiting.

My favourite moment that comes to mind was that double try game against Manly in recent times. And in 1999? He broke his jaw but didn't want to come off, he looked sick real sick. but he had heart.

Thoughts everyone?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
A fairish player for the first few years of his career, but as soon as he started being talked up (and talking himself up) as a veteran and an old head, he stopped doing it on the field and became more interested in being on TV.

wittyfan

Referee
Also a new captain will have to be found for the league team in next year's Stage of Origin.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My favourite Koopu moment was the 2002 match against the Dogs. This was before the salary cap scandal. Dogs were on a 16-17 game winning streak until the came to NZ and Koopu scored a bustling try close to the line that sealed the victory.

Rich102

Staff member
Sadly all these great Koopu moments are well in the past. However maybe one good one to finish with ...........

hitman82

Bench
In the previous 2-3 seasons Koopu scored some great tries running great angles onto short balls out wide. A pretty solid defender too.

JoeD

First Grade
I always thought he was at his best when playing in the centres ala Fai. I remember being at a game in cambelltown in '01 I think where he scored a double playing centre.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah I clearly remember him scoring a 30 or 40 metre try in that game playing at left centre. His best asset imo was his speed and hole-running. He never really did it for me as a "hard working backrower". He was pretty second rate in that role, others do it better.

At the end of the day I don't think he really had the physical presence to be a barnstorming backrower, the workrate to be a hardworking backrower, or the skill to be a genuine centre. He kinda reminds me of Dene Halatau for the Tigers- a pretty good ball-runner but not really ideal for any position.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
LOL, i will look forward to the League is dying stuff again, coz apparently Koopu might be going to Rugby.

The Press will be pushing him forward as a "Star Player defecting" and losing a reserve grader will be the death of footy

EJS

Juniors
he's pretty good on 'Code'.

I actually think he's no good on the couch in Code - he's got nothing to say, he mumbles, and adds nothing in comparison to the others - he's ok out in the field tho.

Richie Barnett last year was a much better contributer from the couch.

JoeD

First Grade
He didn't play yesterday but I'm sure I saw him kitted up before the game and i'm pretty sure he ran out before the game. What was that all about? Or was I imagining things?

AliN

Live Update Team
yea he ran out in shorts then must've got cold.

Certainly had a place earlier in his career but seemed to just make up the numbers in the last couple.
Good luck to Wai wherever he ends up for 2009.