What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wakefield sign up Bulldog

trudge

Bench
Holdsworth and Millard were St George discards. Holdsworth behind Trent Barrett, Millard behind Gasnier.
Holdsworth played a full year with the Dogs in the halves '06, he's best year, taking them to the Prelim Final. Steady 5/8, does a job, not a match winner.
Millard is a decent defensive centre but struggles to break the line. Similar to Jamal Lolesi.

The Clan

Juniors
Thanks Trudge

Wakefield have also signed Shane Tronc from NQC and have made some good domestic signings along with promoting 7 players from their championship winning Academy team.

Might be worth keeping an eye on next year

Packy

Bench
Tronc is far from 2nd rate imo.

Holdworth has it all but for some reason hasn't put it together for any period of time.

Millard is a decent player. Nothing too flash but gets the job done in NRL 1st grade.

ByRd

First Grade
Millard is a solid player and has done a good job in the time he has been with us, wish him the best next year

jimmythehand

Juniors
i've never seen someone drop off as many one-on-one tackles to let in a try as holdsworth does. He did it again against the tigers. That's like the 4th or 5th time this year.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Link

Salford snaps up Holdsworth

00045466-image.jpg

Salford City Reds have signed Bulldogs utility Daniel Holdsworth for Super League XV.

The 25-year-old Holdsworth, who has made 70 appearances for the Bulldogs after previously playing for St George Illawarra, is able to play hooker, loose forward or either halves role.

Reds director of football Steve Simms said: "Daniel's a great playmaker and he's also an excellent field and goalkicker."

"He hasn't had the chance to show that at Canterbury because he is behind (Hazem) El Masri but we will certainly take a look at that option."
The signing is subject to Holdsworth gaining a work permit.

Ridders

Coach
Somewhat sad to see him go. While he's faded into obscurity in recent years, I'll always remember how good he was for us in 06'.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I've questioned that form I must admit. While he wasn't as error prone in '06, was he really that good, or was it the experience of Brent Sherwin making him look good? I just find it hard to believe that someone can have 1 good year then 3 straight error-riddled years. If you look at his form in '06, it's pretty much an error-riddled version of his 08 form.

Ridders

Coach
Might be just me but I thought DJ was one of our best players in 06'. Playing alongside Sherwin may have assisted him but I really liked the look of him. I've said it before but I still rate him being injured at half-time as being a significant factor to our eventual choke in the 06 Prelim Final.

You do raise a good point in that he has significantly gone downhill from that season. Hard to explain.

If you look at his form in '06, it's pretty much an error-riddled version of his 08 form.

I'm assuming you were intending to have the two years switched around?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Might be just me but I thought DJ was one of our best players in 06'. Playing alongside Sherwin may have assisted him but I really liked the look of him. I've said it before but I still rate him being injured at half-time as being a significant factor to our eventual choke in the 06 Prelim Final.

You do raise a good point in that he has significantly gone downhill from that season. Hard to explain.

I'm assuming you were intending to have the two years switched around?
Well I'll never forget the game he put on against the Sharks. He killed them in that game - soon after an article got published in the tele with fans asking him to be dropped for Ben Barba. My question is why did he only find form when he got criticised? It's as if he was lazy every other game and was a passenger. Very sad form.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
The problem was, he was chopped and changed around from position to position. He is a 5/8. Nothing more. He isn't a lock and he is a terrible half-back.. He needs to stay at 6 and unfortunately we couldn't offer that to him beyond 2006.

He will do well if they keep him at 6 all season, every season.