What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting A Lions Tour

In-goal

Bench
It's been well documented that the Lions will not be in Australia until atleast 2009, this in part of the tri-nations and the 2008 WC.

Now if the Lions were to tour in that yearwhat sort of fixtures would be fitting for them, taking into account England will be very strong as a stand alone at the WC and the football seasons will be over in Australia as there is no chance of a mid season tour.

I would love to see the test series played at Australia's 3 biggest venues them being Homebush, Lang Park and the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The prestige that would follow such a tour unseen in Australia since 1992 would be magnificent I for one would be at every match.

Jeffles

Bench
I'll be a bit more prudent.

Lions Tour of Aust.

3 Tests

Suncorp Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium (or maybe SCG for nostalgia's sake).

Tour matches.
GB v Australian Aboriginals (Townsville)
GB v Australian Residents (Canberra)
GB v Junior Kangaroos (Gosford)

-------

Lions Tour of NZ and PNG

4 Tests
GB v PNG @ Port Moresby (anarchy permitting)

GB v NZ @
Erricson Stadium
Jade Stadium
Westpac Trust Stadium

GB v Maori @ North Harbour

GB v NZ "A" @ Hamitlon

LESStar58

Referee
Jeffles said:
I'll be a bit more prudent.

Lions Tour of Aust.

3 Tests

Suncorp Stadium
Telstra Dome
Aussie Stadium (or maybe SCG for nostalgia's sake).

Good idea Jeffles but Telstra Dome? Storm have trouble getting people to Olympic Park...you could hear a pin drop at Telstra Dome! Never happen, Victorians are too ignorant (the 8-9K who show up every week excluded).

dimitri

First Grade
play a game in melbourne

but organise it well in advance and promote the hell out of it

surely if we can get 87,000 to a state of origin game not involving victoria we can get a healthy corwd to a test match

also victorians showed during the ruwc that they are willing to show up

griff

Bench
Hopefully we will be seeing the Lions here sooner than 2009. The thing holding back internationals at the moment is that TV rights were rolled into the NRL deal, so the ARL makes no money out of TV for internationals. The deal expires soon, but may even be sooner if the TV contracts get re-negotiated before then as has been suggested.

Here is what I would think would be a great 5 week Lions tour. Four years later they would tour Australasia again, this time playing a 3 test series against NZ and 1 test against Australia.

Lions Tour

Saturday
Great Britain v PNG (Lloyd Robson Oval)
Australia v New Zealand (North Harbour)

Saturday
Great Britain v New Zealand (Westpac Stadium)
Australia v PNG (Lloyd Robson Oval)

Tuesday
Great Britain v Qld Residents (Townsville)

Saturday
First Test
Australia v Great Britain (Aussie Stadium)

Tuesday
Great Britain v NSW Country (Parkes)

Saturday
Second Test
Australia v Great Britain (Subiaco Oval/WACA depending on demand)

Saturday
Third Test
Australia v Great Britain (Suncorp Stadium)

If they don't want mid-week games you could easily can the NSW Country and Qld Residents games.

Back to reality......

The test match between Australia and GB in 2002 drew an average crowd. This was DURING the season.

As soon as the Grand Final is played in Australia its the off season. We are finished with football....we are gearing up for the Cricket.

Now if we had a decent opponent to play, then maybe we'd be interested. But the last two times GB have headed Down Under they have not just been uncompetitive....they have been down right shambolic.

How about we wait untill a full strength GB side can even win one game at home against a weak Kangaroo's side before we start to rent out the bloody MCG and Telstra stadium to get 15,000 to watch a glorifued training session for the Kangaroos.

dimitri

First Grade
didnt you watch the olympics

its not about winning its about competing

anything can be done if marketed right

for gods sake afl even became a national game

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Bunny

Juniors
nospam49 said:
You are right....its about competing.

GB cant compete right now.

Here we go again. More stupid statements just to be contrary to the consensus and get people to pay attention to you. "I'm the king of the internet" and "I own you." Grow up! No wonder you've been banned from 2-3 of the 4 major rugby league forums.

You've been spouting this sort of rubbish for years now, I'd have thought you might have aquired at least half a clue in all of that time that you have waffled on. Your mum must be sick to death of you by now. Why doesn't she kick you out? I'd have probably thrown you in a bag full of cement and drowned your dopey arse by now. Fair dinkum, for the son of a teacher you sure as hell didn't learn much. Bloody twit. :lol:

Who are you.....and who do you think I am?

The son of a teacher.... :?

Seriously....if people can handle opposite opinions they should stay off these internet forums. :roll:

Big Bunny

Juniors
Oh boohoo. Go have a cry you dildo. For years I've had to wade through your babbling nonsense and abuse of the English language all whilst trying to read what is supposed to be a rugby league thread. You don't like it when people get personal do you? Well tough. If you don't want to cop it, don't dish it out in the endless fashion that you do. Do the world a favour and switch your monitor off and turn your chair back to the teletubbies you damned hyprocrite. :lol:

Back on topic...

A proper Lions tour would be a success. Three tests in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane should sell out if promoted properly, and imagine the excitement seen as there hasn't been a real tour here since 1992.

And play NZ in Newcastle, Adelaide and Perth.

The ARU are smart enough to take Wallabies games to other states and get full houses because there is no national team for people in those states to cheer for in the footy season. The Kangaroos are a much more marketable product and could be a huge success in SA, WA and VIC.

Oh no....some stupid Bunnie fan is trying to have a go at me.....now I know what a whale feels like and a barnicle gets attached to it! :lol:

It obvious some people dont have the mental stability to be on an open forum with many different opinions.

Thats no my problem, that an issue the dead Rabbit and the Goanna need to sort out in their own time.

Man_of_Steel_1982, you are forgetting one MAJOR point. The ARL will NEVER EVER promote a game the way it should.

If they cant sell out a Test match in Sydney, they will struggle to get 10,000 to a match in Melbourne.

Latest posts