What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors and Panthers - the new All Blacks

Meth

Staff member
Warriors jersey was a one off to commemorate playing at Eden Park and as a nod to the All Blacks in their World Cup year

applesauce

Bench
I wish the Warriors did 2 things:

a) Went back to being the Auckland Warriors
b) Went back to their old colours (there heritage jersey is the best in the NRL) or changed their colours to Red and Black which they seem to be slowly doing...Hurry up!!

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I wish the Warriors did 2 things:

a) Went back to being the Auckland Warriors
b) Went back to their old colours (there heritage jersey is the best in the NRL) or changed their colours to Red and Black which they seem to be slowly doing...Hurry up!!

or c) utilised their Maori design jersey.

That is such a fantastic jersey and I reckon just wearing would lift the side a few notches.

age.s

First Grade
Penrith playing in their black strip at home on a 33 degree day with their opponents comfortable in white was one of the stupider things I've seen.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Penrith playing in their black strip at home on a 33 degree day with their opponents comfortable in white was one of the stupider things I've seen.
Penrith seem to have it locked in that they have to wear the black at home and that green/teal/cyan/aqua thing at every away game regardless of any other factors.

The all black jersey doesn't work for either the panthers or warriors. You have to have a little bit of colour variation.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Penrith seem to have it locked in that they have to wear the black at home and that green/teal/cyan/aqua thing at every away game regardless of any other factors.

The all black jersey doesn't work for either the panthers or warriors. You have to have a little bit of colour variation.

It doesn't even work for the Kiwis let alone the Warriors. The White Chevrons on black is what gives the Kiwis their identity and mystique.

I don't understand the need to defer to the NZ union side.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As the person in post #2 said, the jersey was a one off for Eden Park. They'll be in their white jersey this weekend and back to their normal black & white jersey next weekend.

That said, it's no great revelation that the Warriors and Panthers share the same primary colour, and have done so almost ten years now.

The Warriors don't NEED to do anything of the sort. They represent all of NZ but play in Auckland. Nothing wrong with that. The WA Reds won't be playing anywhere but Perth and plenty of other "regional" or provincial teams only play in one centre. But the Warriors do play pre-season games elsewhere and are well supported elsewhere anyway. It makes little sense alienating people outside Auckland for no reason by calling the team Auckland.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's worth mentioning they don't have the New Zealand name tbh. The argument's been had before - they're simply "Warriors" or "Vodafone Warriors". Only the parent company that owns the club bears the name "New Zealand Warriors Limited", but like the Bulldogs until 2009, they simply use "Warriors".

sheepbender

Juniors
The Warriors need to add a dark shade of green rather than red, or like what was said, using last years heritage.

Goddo

Bench
The Warriors should go back to Auckland once a second NZ side is started up in Wellington or Christchurch.

I am surprised games aren't taken to parts of NZ other than Auckland very often - I know the Chooks did it last year, and there was talk of the Sharkies doing it, but surely there is merit and money in it, especially when the NRL foots the travel costs.

If the CC and Perth get in, I'd expect a few Sydney sides to sell more games in NZ and Brisbane. If Brisbane and Perth get in, the number of Sydney sides taking games to Gosford will continue as is.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's worth mentioning they don't have the New Zealand name tbh. The argument's been had before - they're simply "Warriors" or "Vodafone Warriors". Only the parent company that owns the club bears the name "New Zealand Warriors Limited", but like the Bulldogs until 2009, they simply use "Warriors".

That’s following on from all of the S14 and netball teams I think. I wonder why NZ sports teams tend to distance themselves from using locations in their names.

Iafeta

Referee

Spot on. They are the Warriors. Not New Zealand.

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors should go back to Auckland once a second NZ side is started up in Wellington or Christchurch.

I am surprised games aren't taken to parts of NZ other than Auckland very often - I know the Chooks did it last year, and there was talk of the Sharkies doing it, but surely there is merit and money in it, especially when the NRL foots the travel costs.

If the CC and Perth get in, I'd expect a few Sydney sides to sell more games in NZ and Brisbane. If Brisbane and Perth get in, the number of Sydney sides taking games to Gosford will continue as is.

I'm not sure what the official reasoning is behind it (not playing elsewhere), I'm guessing its a commercial decision based on crowd revenues to compensate for any penalties (at a guess) to move away from their Mt Smart base. Its great though seeing the game go around the country. Sadly there are a number of fans (I'm guessing a vocal minority) who have been outspoken about feeling they were duped in buying season tickets and then having to go to Eden Park for one of those games. Its a strange issue, most fans have a crack because they don't go and play elsewhere, and then woe-was-me the hatchet comes out when they dare to take one game across town.

Te Kaha

First Grade
That’s following on from all of the S14 and netball teams I think. I wonder why NZ sports teams tend to distance themselves from using locations in their names.
because each team is "Regionally" based... These teams are in "middle" level comps. Both Rugby and Netball have National provincial comps, they want to differentiate between the NPC teams and the Super 15/trantasman netball teams.

Latest posts