What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Best Cult Player Appreciation Thread

warrior poet

Juniors
so I've been following the Warriors team of the first 20 years polls and one thing I was thinking about was who would be the best 'cult' player that we've had.

I'm meaning players like hitro okesene, ukuma ta'ai, Suaia matagi, Iafeta paleaaesina, epalahame Lauaki, mark tookey, Ruben wiki, Henry fa'afili, etc.

Players who may not have been here long (and played less than 100 games for us, so vatuvei and lauiti'iti would be ineligible). They may not have been the best in there position, and generally started from the bench (with exceptions), most of them would get no where near 300 games or rep games in their careers but were able to bring crowds to there feet with the runs, the try celebrations, the tackles etc.

Personally the players I remember most from this group is fa'afili (try celebrations) and paleaaesina (would anyone want to try to tackle him?)

Obviously there are many reasons why someone becomes a cult player, and is different for each person. These players won't get remembered as the best in their positions but have helped to make the Warriors the club it is and have helped in there own way to attract fans and give us memories

Post your favourite and why? (and remember everyone has a different opinion of what a cult player is, so everyone is right... Try to make this a positive thread)

captainwarrior

Juniors
As a young kid Iafeta would be my favourite. I started watching the Warriors mainly very young in 2003 and while Iafeta wasn't my favourite, I got excited everytime he was on the field and getting ready for a hit up. He was one hell of a player to watch.

My other favourite cult player probably wouldn't be considered a cult player but the first game I watched was the Dogs/Warriors semi in 2003 and all I remember was Faumuina and those around the corner passes. From that point on everytime he got the ball I got excited waiting for a flick out the back or a around the corner pass. I know he turned to shit the next year but he lit up the 2003 Finals so I don't know if he can be considered a cult player but for me he always was.

Rich102

Staff member
Don't know if he fits your definition but Kevin Campion sticks in my mind.
Hard as nails. Really turned our team into GF contenders.
Had a will to win like no other we have had.
Would love to have another like him on our books.

If Kevin didn't meet the criterion than Richard Villasanti would be my next pick.
From the time most props were just plodders he stood out as a rangy, mobile player.

Wade McKinnon for me. Loved his agro ways and his passion. Loved it when he spat in disgust when a ruling went against us. His interviews were a good laugh that guy lived in the moment

warrior poet

Juniors
Don't know if he fits your definition but Kevin Campion sticks in my mind.
Hard as nails. Really turned our team into GF contenders.
Had a will to win like no other we have had.
Would love to have another like him on our books.

If Kevin didn't meet the criterion than Richard Villasanti would be my next pick.
From the time most props were just plodders he stood out as a rangy, mobile player.
Campion definitely fits my definition of cult, always seemed to have a loyal following (still does, if you talk to older fans), my biggest problem with him was that he wasn't here long enough.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Too hard for me

Faafili - That hair, those try celebrations. Pity I just remember him running sideways...

Paleaasina - Those kick returns.

Tookey - 'TOOOOOO"

Hitro - The original cult.

Blair

Coach
On topic: my current cult is still Hurrell, when he's on...look out! I know his career's stalled but I still think any opposition enjoy not seeing his name on the team sheet.

Past cult is any of the others that've been named already (minus Ridge) plus Hendo.

Off topic: for those old enough, there was nothing like being on the piss* at the cricket and seeing Charlie Chatfield come out to bat against a fired up fast bowler like Lillee, Willis, Marshall or Akram. You'd live and die with him every ball - doing the 'whhhuuuuuuuuuurrrrr!' as the bowler was running in - and when he'd play a leg glance for two (like a real batsman) you'd be on your feet with everyone else.

*I wasn't personally drinking alcohol, too young, but the crowd were on it large.

Last edited:

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Off topic: for those old enough, there was nothing like being on the piss* at the cricket and seeing Charlie Chatfield come out to bat against a fired up fast bowler

Chatfield - the epitome of cult heroism!

In boxing, there was a guy I loved to watch called "Mike the Bounty Hunter". He was a heavyweight that used to bamboozle his opponents with his unorthodox style and weird behavior in the ring.
I remember once, watching him at the end of a round, following his opponent into the opponents corner, sitting on the ropes next to him when he was on his stool and putting his arm around him. It was as hilarious as it was bizarre.

Blair

Coach
Chatfield - the epitome of cult heroism!

In boxing, there was a guy I loved to watch called "Mike the Bounty Hunter". He was a heavyweight that used to bamboozle his opponents with his unorthodox style and weird behavior in the ring.
I remember once, watching him at the end of a round, following his opponent into the opponents corner, sitting on the ropes next to him when he was on his stool and putting his arm around him. It was as hilarious as it was bizarre.

I've heard of the Bounty Hunter but I think he came around too late for me, I moved on from boxing in the late-90s. Tyson's ear bite pretty much finished me off. A lot of people left around that time, I think it was the last fight that truly 'stopped the world'.

I did chuckle though when you mentioned the Bounty Hunter's antics above, I'm imagining him doing that to someone like Tyson! It wasn't happening!

Evil_Mush

Juniors
There were a few over that 07/08 period:

Witt for the Sharks sideline kick in gusty winds, field goal for draw v Roosters & the infamous PUTTHEBALLDOWNSON and Zorro facial hair combination. Also his hilarious mouthing off at opposition.

Mckinnon for his constant ref runins, post match expletives (that Eels game haha) & those magical long range tries.

Henderson for looking like he was running straight outta Braveheart every time in the team beard phase.

Hohaia for that period replacing McKinnon, smashing the ever loving snot outta Petero, and just being a nuggety lil menace whatever position he's put in.

Luck for the "Shark Bite", the one or two occasions where he actually ran more than 1.5m with the ball, and just being an all round tough fullah.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Faumuina had his moments

Feka was an absolute beast, one of my all time faves

George Gatis too was good at one stage

Kevin Locke

jaseg

Juniors
Ukuma Ta'ai - just for that interview where he said, in faltering English, something along the lines of "I just like to hurt people" after getting suspended (for a head-high shoulder charge maybe? or just a swinging arm?). I'm sure he didn't mean it like that - particularly given his smile at the time, but the way he came out with it was brilliant.

Witt, if only for knowing we were going up by 6 points every time. Such a rarity - confidence in goalkicking at this club.

Feka for those crazy charges.

Wade McKinnon for everything. Just... everything.

Latest posts