What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Turnaround

Marty

Juniors
Tell me, who was the last side to win a Premiership when their BEST player in the halves was the quality of Michael Witt?

TH, You make a good point and I don't think since I have been watching league(15 years) I have seen a team win a Priemiership "when their BEST player in the halves was the quality of Michael Witt?".

However I don't think that should be taken as an absolute.

When one looks at the 99 Grand Final and the 04 Grandfinal, you had the likes of Kimmorley and Geyer in the Halfs and Sherwin and Anasta. In those two Grand Finals it wasn't the halfs that one the game but the forward effort. T Nikau won the 99 Grand Final for the storm(though he didn't get the clive churchill Medal) with his second half performance along with Lazo, Howe and Kearney and in 04 Willie Mason(who did get the clive churill Medal) won it for the dogs, with the help of the likes of SBW, Orge, Ryan, Roy and Reni.

Grandfinals can be won in the forwards and our forward pack has been maturing and developing as the season has gone on. Personaly I think we have at this stage of the competition the a forward pack that can match it with any pack in the comp. I think on the day it could get the better of the likes of the storm or the eagles or eels.

Marty said:
Tell me, who was the last side to win a Premiership when their BEST player in the halves was the quality of Michael Witt?

TH, You make a good point and I don't think since I have been watching league(15 years) I have seen a team win a Priemiership "when their BEST player in the halves was the quality of Michael Witt?".

However I don't think that should be taken as an absolute.

When one looks at the 99 Grand Final and the 04 Grandfinal, you had the likes of Kimmorley and Geyer in the Halfs and Sherwin and Anasta. In those two Grand Finals it wasn't the halfs that one the game but the forward effort. T Nikau won the 99 Grand Final for the storm(though he didn't get the clive churchill Medal) with his second half performance along with Lazo, Howe and Kearney and in 04 Willie Mason(who did get the clive churill Medal) won it for the dogs, with the help of the likes of SBW, Orge, Ryan, Roy and Reni.

Grandfinals can be won in the forwards and our forward pack has been maturing and developing as the season has gone on. Personaly I think we have at this stage of the competition the a forward pack that can match it with any pack in the comp. I think on the day it could get the better of the likes of the storm or the eagles or eels.

Thank god someone knows their league. good post.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's not an absolute, but, well, it has been for the last 15 years.

Also, the '04 Dogs and the '99 Storm pretty much had all-star forward packs. We have the likes of Michael Luck and Logan Swann in the starting line-up. I don't think our pack is at that quality, and our halves pairing will be the worst ever.

For the Warriors to win the comp it will be a unique achievement given the strength of our line-up, especially in key positions.

I'm not saying we can't win it, but (a) the key indicators that ring true time and time again are not in our favour, and (b) we are clearly not the best team in the comp, imo.

Anyway, given that my name is also Marty and I've been following rugby league for precisely 15 years, I think you're just the account for the other side of my split personality.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
yeah, ok

Witty has turned your season around and you STILL bag him! He is a good half or 5/8 and will be crucial to the success of the Warriors in the finals. As for the halves theory- well Brisbane won a comp with Perry at 7..enough said!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Witty has turned your season around and you STILL bag him! He is a good half or 5/8 and will be crucial to the success of the Warriors in the finals. As for the halves theory- well Brisbane won a comp with Perry at 7..enough said!

How did I bag him? I said he was our BEST half or 5/8th!

The comparison should be with Lockyer, not Perry...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:

Good at least you admit Witty is awesome. I agree with the halves not being as good as Lockyer- but mind you at teh same time your pack is probally teh best in the comp. I would say you would be using your forwards to set up the victory. Plus goalkicking won't be a issue as you have a goalkicker with a similar success rate to Hazem- Witty!:cool:

Thierry Henry said:

Exactly. I agree with these thoughts completly. Seems hard to believe that a side could win a competion with Witt and Rovelli in key positions, no matter how good we might like to think they are, they aren't premiership winning halves.

Micistm

Bench
Well personally I don't think the Warriors will win the comp even thought they're my team- But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I also think the players are a damn sight better than many give credit for, and I'd love them to do well just to stick it to some of these people calling for their sackings (And the coaches) earlier in the year.
But it is about the footy, and I'm enjoying the playing. If the NRL is only enjoyable if your team is the years champion then it will be a miserable time for most fans! Enjoy your teams victories, support them when they're down- Doesn't mean you have to be a sychophant, just not constantly kick 'em when they're down. To question your teams form, players, strategies etc is part of the fun for many and I don't begrudge people having a different opinion or questioning out of form players. I do resent some calling players second raters or hacks just for being out of form. If some of these 'experts' with opinion columns are ballsey enough to call for sackings etc (And they are entitled to question of course) I reckon they should also have the nads to admit they may have made a bad call! Geyer had the nads to do that, and good on 'em!

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
After watching NRL primetime, the question must be posed

Can the Warriors win the comp, when their best halve sits at home and pats a rabbit named Hurley all night ?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Beavers Headgear said:
After watching NRL primetime, the question must be posed

Can the Warriors win the comp, when their best halve sits at home and pats a rabbit named Hurley all night ?

Weird. Hes got that hot girlfriend, yet he'd raher cosy up to vermin. If I had to choose between one or the other, i'd be getting out the 1080 pellets in a flash. 3's a crowd.