What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wayne bennett signs on as kiwis coach

LeagueNut

First Grade
Haffenden added the Kearney-Bennett team would operate for the May 9 test with a view to continuing in the World Cup in Australia in late October. Kearney has an initial two-year contract.
So Wayne signs on as an advisor for ONE test?? Nice. :|

I wonder what his criteria will be for sticking around?

BTW congrats Steve. :clap: Best of luck with the NZRL - you're gonna need it!!

mean

Juniors
For me, poetic justice is Kearney not selecting Kidwell and using the media to state that he's not up to it.

Skinner

Coach
playdaball said:
Tame Topou said it was like going back to the Eastern Tornadoes playing under Gary Kemble.

That really sums it up for me. Tame may not be the greatest spokesperson, but you
can understand the players, coming out of very professional environments, laden with
technology, suddenly being faced with Gary and a white board.

I still don't blame Gary, but I blame the idiots that put him there.

Jesbass

First Grade
Skinner said:
That really sums it up for me. Tame may not be the greatest spokesperson, but you
can understand the players, coming out of very professional environments, laden with
technology, suddenly being faced with Gary and a white board.

I still don't blame Gary, but I blame the idiots that put him there.

Aye. He wasn't up to the task, but the only true mistake the guy made from the outset was applying for the role and getting it.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Is there a thread yet about Tonie Caroll making himself available to play for the kiwis yet? just incase you missed the bit on this mornings Breakfast he said he always said he was a kiwi and playing for the kiwis wwas one of his most proudest moments. Pick him!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Congratulations to Stephen Kearney and thank god he has helped NZRL out of an already tight situation which suprisingly got much worse.

Has their been any additional information in regards to support staff and team management.
Have heard rumours that Gordon Gibbons will be on board as some sort of team manger - a respect and competent leaguie and has held the position before. Know how to handle players, business as well media etc.

They too must be under scrutiny - after what happened on the last tour both off and off the field.

As for Tame Tupou - that guy is hardcase, I cant believe they even quoted him in the paper thats like quoting a 5 year old.

He was bagging Kemble but at the same time not wanting bennett.

And also can Asotasi shut up already??? He is in the papers every day - learn to say no to reporters.

Tony Caroll - they should pick him in the team!!!!! but when he turns up for the game tell him F off.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
hitman82 said:
Both countries should revoke his citizenship. Maybe Tony could play for Samoa instead.

what ethnicity is Tony Caroll? maori because he like James Caroll native minister and one time deputy/caretaker prime minister from way back in the days.

quite solid, big moustache and big chin.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Archangel2 said:
One has to wonder if Crayfish had taken the offer to have Benny as a mentor would he still be there?

what are u on about?? He had openly stated that he was open even positive to having bennett on board??

shiznit

Coach
hitman82 said:
Both countries should revoke his citizenship. Maybe Tony could play for Samoa instead.
the guy can play for the largest country in the world... his chin...

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just been reading RLW

In the mole coumn, they reckon that Bennett will shaft us after that 1 off test, because he didn't get the head coaching role

If true, **** off now Wayne

Skinner

Coach
I wonder if we will ever know the truth....certainly not from NZRL.

Carn Cushla, give us something.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
According to this article, Bennett wanted the Head Coach role, but Haffenden gave that to Kearney and Bennett is fuming and will not be a part of the WC.

Pretty chilisish thing to do imo if he takes that line

Jesbass

First Grade
So the Mole is basically accusing Bennett of lying, then. Doesn't make him wrong, of course.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
If the NZRL are the ones who refused Bennett the head coach role, they can f**k off.

Probably one of the most preposterous things to do, denying one of the greatest coaches of our time a lead role in coaching the Kiwis.

If this turns out to be true, Bennett has every right to walk. What a total lack of respect shown to him. If the Mole speaks the truth, I'll be safe in the knowledge that the NZRL is being run by the dumbest f**ks in the business.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Ah, the liar's paradox "A man from Crete says all Cretans tell lies".

I'd pretty much bank on the NZRL being the liars. Or the Mole is actually Danny Weilder, making him the liar.