What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett to join Souths in 2020

callmack1

Staff member
I’m actually getting a little pumped. As Ch7 has reported I reckon 2019 is a done deal on the table. They just need all parties to return from OS to iron out the legalities and finer points.

I forgot to add another point:

5: I think Wayne may bring some possible ready made TPAs with him, QLD businesses trust him. and I reckon may even attract some of them to NSW.
I was pretty gutted about it earlier but I'm actually getting excited now too!

Surely it happens for 2019, it's common sense!!

ThingFish

Juniors
The problem we have if we were to offload AJ is this:

Douiehi you’d think wouldn’t be ready for first couple of months of season. Hunt is gone too.

We’d have this:

My old man does not think GI can physically handle fullback anymore.

So we’d have this without AJ and the depth is a big worry:

Allen (we’d have to be patient with him. He is still raw)
Campbell
GI
Gagai
Jennings (I haven’t had any confirmation via member email that’s he is staying yet)

Standby:
Burns
Hiroti
Kennar?? Not sure if he’s staying yet.

That depth imo looks quite shaky. 2 injuries in the backs and we would be stuffed.
I agree. In one of the many SMSs I got yesterday was a cut and paste from another forum of our current team outlook. Now I don’t agree with the assessment and I’m sure you won’t as well, but it gives a snap shot of where we are at before silly season starts. I’ll post it in the team rumors thread. I don’t want to clog the Bennett discussion thread with it.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Bennett is a better choice than furner.

Furner has the same record as barrett, taylor, henry....

Ok as an assistant coach...not as head coach

callmack1

Staff member
Broncos-Souths coach swap is brewing but hurdles remain to be cleared: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...les-remain-to-be-cleared-20181026-p50c8n.html

South Sydney Rabbitohs greats say the Seibiold-Bennett coach swap needs to happen now: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...w/news-story/997fe7f4839dbaa78aa467b04d4ccfaf

A swap certainly needs to happen for 2019 but it sounds like the only way that it will happen is if the Broncos pay Bennett out. Tbh, I can see that happening as they will want Seibs ASAP.

I now think signing Bennett could be a great thing. If he can really buy into the history and culture of the club it could be amazing.

ThingFish

Juniors
Broncos-Souths coach swap is brewing but hurdles remain to be cleared: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...les-remain-to-be-cleared-20181026-p50c8n.html

South Sydney Rabbitohs greats say the Seibiold-Bennett coach swap needs to happen now: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...w/news-story/997fe7f4839dbaa78aa467b04d4ccfaf

A swap certainly needs to happen for 2019 but it sounds like the only way that it will happen is if the Broncos pay Bennett out. Tbh, I can see that happening as they will want Seibs ASAP.

I now think signing Bennett could be a great thing. If he can really buy into the history and culture of the club it could be amazing.
It seems like Bennett and Souths are playing it very smart. As you said Broncs are now forced to pay Bennett out, Seibs will ask for release, we release Seibs without the need for payout. Bam!! Bennett joins us effectively getting double pay thanks to the Broncs, and we’re not out of pocket paying out Seibs. I think the master tactician is already at work:laughing:

ouryears

Bench
It seems like Bennett and Souths are playing it very smart. As you said Broncs are now forced to pay Bennett out, Seibs will ask for release, we release Seibs without the need for payout. Bam!! Bennett joins us effectively getting double pay thanks to the Broncs, and we’re not out of pocket paying out Seibs. I think the master tactician is already at work:laughing:
Creeping will be awesome for you guys
I love that man
We have Mcnuggett
You have Wayne
Damn you guys
Well done boys

ouryears

Bench
I wasn’t thrilled at first but I’m warming to it.

I think he will be very good for us.

As for Seibs well I’m filthy with him but must say I’m not surprised..
He will be great for you mate, he got the poms up this morning vs the kiwis
Great man manager
Creates a wonderful environment for success
It will be an enjoyable challenge for him as well
I hope you are well mate

ThingFish

Juniors
'Wears heart on his sleeve' - Bennett heaps praise on new boss Crowe: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...praise-on-new-boss-crowe-20181027-p50ccw.html

For someone who hasn't actually joined yet, Wayne sounds pretty passionate about the club already!!
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...k/news-story/c6011bdf41a0567e2a85b981da6cfd3f

I had a bit of a cringe when I read this one. It mentions the dreaded 5yr plan. Every time it reminds me of Gus’s 5yr plan for Penrith. It’s about to enter its 10th yr I think. Well at least WB is looking beyond his years with us.

Pommy

Coach

ThingFish

Juniors
Could you please compy and paste the article mate? Goes to pay wall for me.
Sure:

Wayne Bennett’s long-term plan to build Rabbitohs into NRL benchmark
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
October 28, 2018 9:12am
Subscriber only

RABBITOHS boss Shane Richardson says Wayne Bennett will spearhead a five-year plan to make Souths the new NRL benchmark as Queensland star Greg Inglis rubber-stamped the signing of the Broncos coach.

Richardson has revealed how Bennett would kickstart a long-term strategic blueprint that would see Russell Crowe’s Rabbitohs dethrone Melbourne as the NRL’s kingpins by 2025.

There is speculation Bennett could replace Brisbane target Anthony Seibold at Redfern next season but Richardson insists that will only happen if the Broncos choose to sack the 68-year-old immediately.

That scenario appears unlikely, suggesting Bennett will formally begin at the Pride of the League in 2020 in a move that has the unqualified support of Souths’ leadership group led by Inglis.

Despite being a Queensland superstar, Inglis has never been coached by Bennett at club, Test or Origin level. The Maroons skipper will be 33 when he comes off-contract at the end of 2020, giving Bennett a belated chance to mentor Inglis before he potentially retires.

While Souths’ deal with Bennett was brokered as quietly as it was quickly, Richardson is adamant the $2 million poaching raid had the blessing of Rabbitohs captain Inglis.

“Our senior players have thoroughly endorsed it,” Richardson said.

“Before the board meeting to finalise Wayne’s deal, I spoke to our leadership group.

“I asked Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess and John Sutton and they said of course they like ‘Seibs’, but they have no issue at all being coached by Wayne Bennett.

“I’ve spoken to Greg and he thinks it’s a wonderful idea. He and the senior players can’t wait to be coached by Wayne.

“Greg has never worked with Wayne. He reckons Wayne has always wanted to coach him so he gets his chance now.

“When I mentioned Wayne’s name to Greg, he was very positive so I don’t think there’s anyone that can say South Sydney will be diminished by Wayne Bennett trying to win games for us.”

Bennett will turn 70 when he starts at Souths and Richardson revealed the seven-time premiership-winning coach would have input on the club’s long-term direction.

“It’s important to note that we have a five-year plan in place around Wayne and we’ve spoken with Wayne about it,” he said.

“We have spoken to Wayne about our succession plan and he knows exactly what our vision is.”

Richardson hosed down suggestions of a Bennett-Seibold straight swap, saying he has no issue working with his existing coach.

“I have a good working relationship with Seibs,” he said.

ouryears

Bench
It pays to be passionate about your new employer. He’s hardly going to say it’s a shit club and he doesn’t want to move to f**king Sydney again is he?
But he could have said nothing or could have said it is a good challenge, that would have sufficed. But he said more, that's the point.

Latest posts