What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Rooney

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
if he doesn't score more than 20 goals this seaosn they will come 5th... unless Chicharito comes in and does the work for them

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You should not talk about United or the Premier league. Your complete lack of knowledge makes you sound like a fool.

No offence like. ;-)

I'm not the one who thinks Rooney is streets ahead of Messi. :lol:

But please do explain how Everton are a plastic club and Man Utd aren't?

WireMan

Bench
I'm not the one who thinks Rooney is streets ahead of Messi. :lol:

But please do explain how Everton are a plastic club and Man Utd aren't?

Not streets ahead, just better. ;-)

Everton fans are plastic scousers (fake ones). Hence not proper scousers like Liverpool supporters. Thats why no-one cares about them. :)

Not sure why United are plastic. A club with a rich heritage in the area, no help from anyone, no political rubbish. The most unplastic you can get..

WireMan

Bench
He's not actually :lol:

Manchester "Glazer" United, not plastic at all.

Rooney better than Messi.

Arf!

Go on, why are they plastic? I just explained how they are one of the most real clubs in the world. 'Arf!' does not help a discussion.

Yes Rooney is better than Messi. We have had a big long thread about it where we discussed there respected merits.

I don't see why you have to bring it up in a discussion about Rooney. Start a Messi thread if you want to declare unbridled love for the guy.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have supported Man Utd for 49 years but seriously comparing the respective abilities of Wayne Rooney to Lionel Messi is farcical. Wayne Rooney is a fantastic footballer who has proved himself in the EPL and in Europe. He didn't do himself justice in the 2010 World Cup which is disappointing but it probably had more to do with the deficiencies with the England team that his own ability. England were crap yet again and were lucky to progress from the group stage. When you talk about true world class players Messi is surely world class. Rooney has yet to deliver on the world stage and so for that matter has his matter Ronaldo who equally was poor for Portugal.

If England were a world class side with a world class centre forward then Wayne Rooney would be a world class inside right or inside left playing off the world class centre forward. Sadly when England's true Centre Forwards are the likes of Crouch, Defoe and Heskey it was always going to be difficult to carry the up front threat on his own, as he is simply not that type of player and not possessing the gifts that Messi clearly possesses.

fish eel

Immortal
Not streets ahead, just better. ;-)

Everton fans are plastic scousers (fake ones). Hence not proper scousers like Liverpool supporters. Thats why no-one cares about them. :)

Not sure why United are plastic. A club with a rich heritage in the area, no help from anyone, no political rubbish. The most unplastic you can get..

a club who sold their soul to some americans with money........

WireMan

Bench

eh?

The Assets were sold to american owners (with no money).

Our Soul? What?

I'm just gonna assume that their is a black hole on this forum with regards to the Prem league and knowledge. Its easier for me that way.

WireMan

Bench
I have supported Man Utd for 49 years but seriously comparing the respective abilities of Wayne Rooney to Lionel Messi is farcical. Wayne Rooney is a fantastic footballer who has proved himself in the EPL and in Europe. He didn't do himself justice in the 2010 World Cup which is disappointing but it probably had more to do with the deficiencies with the England team that his own ability. England were crap yet again and were lucky to progress from the group stage. When you talk about true world class players Messi is surely world class. Rooney has yet to deliver on the world stage and so for that matter has his matter Ronaldo who equally was poor for Portugal.

If England were a world class side with a world class centre forward then Wayne Rooney would be a world class inside right or inside left playing off the world class centre forward. Sadly when England's true Centre Forwards are the likes of Crouch, Defoe and Heskey it was always going to be difficult to carry the up front threat on his own, as he is simply not that type of player and not possessing the gifts that Messi clearly possesses.

I'm sorry, its probably me, but i'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

He didn't do himself justice i agree and he wasn't helped by the deficiencies within the England team i again agree. In fact i would go as far as to say he was a bit rubbish at times. But why does that make comparing players farcical?

2nd Para... If England had a world class centre forward then Rooney would be a world class inside left, but England aren't so Rooney has to play out of position and try to carry a team by himself.

So a player playing a not very good team, playing out of position is proof that he should never be compared to a player, playing in his fave position in a good team. Even though as a United supporter of 49 years you must of noticed him doing something at least alright for a good team in United?

Again its prob me missing the point. Can you just clear up where my analysis went wrong. Cheers.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rooney isn't even the best striker in the world FFS, so how can you even begin to compare him to Messi?

fish eel

Immortal
eh?

The Assets were sold to american owners (with no money).

Our Soul? What?

I'm just gonna assume that their is a black hole on this forum with regards to the Prem league and knowledge. Its easier for me that way.

Yeah it's all sweet with the blazers. You've no debt and nobody wore green and gold scarfs in protest last year

Mad Dogg

Juniors
One thing nobody has mentioned is that Rooney always takes quite some time to get back into form after being injured. That's something that has been true for his entire career. When he returned from the injury towards the end of last season (which he probably came back too early from), he struggled his way over the final matches without scoring again, and as he wasn't able to get proper gametime in the meantime he then carried that form into the WC.

Also, last season Rooney was moved up to be the main striker upfront and that move worked spectacularly, so why England played him behind someone else is beyond me. Would've been understandable if it was to get some other great striker into the team, but well...it was Heskey. That would've had the knock on effect of allowing either Gerrard or Lampard to play in their 'normal' position as well, in behind the striker.

In saying all that, even when in poor form he'll normally run everything down and show a lot more hunger than he did at the WC, which makes me think he either has an underlying injury or there was something seriously wrong in the English camp (a lot of stories flying around at the moment).

Last edited:

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Err, because we were a publicly listed company, there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop the sale to the Glazer's. We tried everything we could, but they just bought enough shares off people until they reached a point where the remaining shareholders couldn't legally refuse to sell.

It was nothing like that other famous English club that plays in red who went out and actively looked for buyers, spreading their buttocks for all and sundry. That's why I've got absolutely no sympathy for the mess Liverpool have got themselves into, it's their own damn fault.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I blame the Nike 'write the future' ad! In the shortened version, they only ever showed the part where rooney was being knighted etc. They should have occasionally shown the one where he was living in the trailer, since it was funnier, and probably more realistic too.
That ad was seriously cursed. Every single player who appeared in that ad, except probably Pique, has had a disappointing World Cup (to say the least). Hell, it even cursed Federer.

WireMan

Bench
Err, because we were a publicly listed company, there was absolutely nothing we could do to stop the sale to the Glazer's. We tried everything we could, but they just bought enough shares off people until they reached a point where the remaining shareholders couldn't legally refuse to sell.

It was nothing like that other famous English club that plays in red who went out and actively looked for buyers, spreading their buttocks for all and sundry. That's why I've got absolutely no sympathy for the mess Liverpool have got themselves into, it's their own damn fault.

I'm sure someone will disagree with you. Its United remember, they sold there soul dammit, stick to the program!! :)

I remember hearing about this Wayne Rooney chap when Bayern were too busy knocking Manure out of the Champions League but I haven't seen him since.

Three major tournaments and all he has to show is a double-double against the mighty Switzerland and the Croats.

Yeah but he's also kinda suckish

Yeah but he's also kinda score-30-goals-a-seasonish

WireMan

Bench
I remember hearing about this Wayne Rooney chap when Bayern were too busy knocking Manure out of the Champions League but I haven't seen him since.

Three major tournaments and all he has to show is a double-double against the mighty Switzerland and the Croats.

Another Eurosnob returns....

Here comes the Bundesliga is better than the Prem threads again. :roll:

Tom Shines

First Grade
Another Eurosnob returns....

Here comes the Bundesliga is better than the Prem threads again. :roll:

Team consisting entirely of Bundesliga players = 3rd place
Team consisting entirely of Premier League players = second round

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Yeah but he's also kinda score-30-goals-a-seasonish

Welcome back TT!

Where did you find that Vucinic quote from BTW? Hilarious. :lol: