What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We straight up lost that game

Jason Maher

Immortal
Yes, Queensland did enough, deserved the win, and rolled over us very effectively in the second 40, but after defending so well to keep the score at 10-10, to then be in perfect field goal position for 3 or 4 tackles and not take a shot was criminal. I hope Daley has got Farah, Pearce, and Hodkinson in a corner and giving them the hair dryer treatment, because let's face it, all 3 will be playing game 2, so the best we can hope is that the dumb merkins learn from their shocking mistake.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Well said we blew the game with a shocking second half but showed some guts and belief to restrict Queensland to just 5 points after the break. Hodko should've been in position to take that field goal but wasn't. We can easily win game 2 the Maroons are not superior in any way if they were they would've won this game by thousands.

Knightmare

Coach
I think the biggest issue NSW need to fix up for Game 2 is ball control- defence close to their own line was good in the second half, but coughing up possession was what had them defending it in the first place. This Qld team was meant to steamroll the Blues (Pearce in the halves, Cronk returning) but in the end it came down to a field goal to settle the score. They barely made a line-break all night and I feel (having not watched a replay yet) that the Blues had their measure for most of the night. The fumble by Boyd was a gift sure, but when you consider 3 of the last 4 Origin matches have been settled by 2 points I don't think there's too much cause for alarm yet.

Hodkinson is not a world-beater (and Lord, neither is Pearce) but the key for NSW is dominating in the forwards and stopping Qld players like Thurston and Parker from offloading and catching the Blues short in defence- something we did reasonably well. Unfortunately their second try came through Tupou not marking his man.

I feel at this stage the halves are fairly interchangeable, if Hamster Face and Wayne Pearce Jnr. are scrapped for Game 2 it won't be the biggest shake-up for the team. The key right now is dominating in the forwards. As long as NSW forwards dominate Qld's forwards, then the attacking prowess of Thurston and Cronk is neutered- provided we keep a reasonably good completion rate and don't give them a sniff via silly penalties within 30 metres of their line.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If I were you guys, I would be sending a strongly worded letter to Daley begging him to clarify why Pearce is a better option than at least Soward. His kicking game is the reason Penrith are competitive with anyone ffs. He HAS to be a better choice than Pearce.

Your anger should be directed entirely at your selectors. They need their heads read if they think that's the best spine for NSW. Not that I can criticize. Our depth in the spine is ridiculous.

Hunt, Morgan, Milford, any of them would walk into the NSW side if they were eligible.

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I've always thought it was a really bad side that was picked. Sort of lessened my care factor for this game.

Jason Maher

Immortal
If I were you guys, I would be sending a strongly worded letter to Daley begging him to clarify why Pearce is a better option than at least Soward. His kicking game is the reason Penrith are competitive with anyone ffs. He HAS to be a better choice than Pearce.

Your anger should be directed entirely at your selectors. They need their heads read if they think that's the best spine for NSW. Not that I can criticize. Our depth in the spine is ridiculous.

Hunt, Morgan, Milford, any of them would walk into the NSW side if they were eligible.

Pretty much every NSW fan agrees with you. Problem is, as I said in my OP, the chances are that we will stick with the same spine for game 2, thus the only (remote) hope is that the players in question learn something out of tonight.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Pretty much every NSW fan agrees with you. Problem is, as I said in my OP, the chances are that we will stick with the same spine for game 2, thus the only (remote) hope is that the players in question learn something out of tonight.

I wouldn't say that, at least not for Hodgkinson at this point, that shoddy penalty kick where he failed to make touch was a coach killer. Daley may think twice about him.

Pearce, well he's clearly a protected species or his agent is a great salesman.

some11

Referee
If City/Country was treated as a legitimate selection trial then Austin would've been picked and probably would've been more threatening, three runs between Hodkinson and Pearce isn't asking enough questions of the defence.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Dugan, Pearce & Hodkinson are all makings for a dohshit spine. If NSW are a chance they'd sack all 3 and start over for game 2. They won't though. Good for us.

TheFrog

Coach
If City/Country was treated as a legitimate selection trial then Austin would've been picked and probably would've been more threatening, three runs between Hodkinson and Pearce isn't asking enough questions of the defence.

City/Country means nothing. Austin needs to continue to show form long term, not just for a few weeks. He has defensive issues, to say the least.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Dugan, Pearce & Hodkinson are all makings for a dohshit spine. If NSW are a chance they'd sack all 3 and start over for game 2. They won't though. Good for us.

Dugan?
He was great tonight!
If only John folau was eligible for the blues

redvscotty

First Grade
QLD were better but I especially liked how they had full sets of 6 within the 10 and we get pinged at the first tackle for it.

As I said though, we should have had it won before then.

no name

Coach
Kicking the ball dead and gifting 7 tackles was the icing on the shit cake of a set when setting for field goal.
Unforgivable.

Bazal

Post Whore
I wouldn't say that, at least not for Hodgkinson at this point, that shoddy penalty kick where he failed to make touch was a coach killer. Daley may think twice about him.

Pearce, well he's clearly a protected species or his agent is a great salesman.

I thought the touch miss was Pearce tbh. Shocker either way.

How Farah didn't hit Hodkinson, who was in perfect position for two solid shots, is absolutely beyond me....