What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webbys bench strategy

GoSouths

Juniors
not that i know of. but i think it would be hard to conclusively determine who gave away the set start each time. There were 3 last game and i couldnt see what anyone had done to warrant them. But, yes he would be near the top of the list.

Hov

Juniors
Set restarts also include offside so almost impossible to attribute to individuals on a basis that would be meaningful.

I do agree that Ford had a few games where he was definitely a magnet for set restarts but he has improved a lot I feel. Also I do think those set restarts were due to our defensive systems still trying to gel and a lot of scramble d and Ford was the man clocking up a lot of those scrambling kind of tackles where we can't get dominance and he got caught trying turn the tackle and give the d line that extra half a sec. Who knows that might have been an instruction from Webster where he diesnt mind the odd set restart in certain positions. Clearly Webster loves his work so he will be that 80min edge player the rest of the year.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
well, i ran the numbers and hes averaging 1 error a game from the 12 hes played and 0.6 penalties a game. He really isnt that bad. Maybe its the moment in the game that it is happening that is upsetting you.

Wasn't Ford literally leading the comp in set restarts recently? I thought it was pretty well established that the impression that he was ill-disciplined (well, at least the impression that I have) was thoroughly backed up by the stats.

Then again, I'm not that convinced about how much the basic NRL stats really tell you anyway. For example, saying "Ford ran 17 times for 130 metres which is fine" I can't cop, because that tells you nothing really beyond the fact that Ford is willing to take hit-ups. 7 or 8 metres per run pretty much says he's running to the line and getting tackled and tells you very little about whether he's getting a fast play the ball, slow play the ball, whether he almost broke the line, whether he got smashed, whether he got his arms free to offload etc. To me, he is a visibly ineffective ball-carrier which is another reason I don't rate him.

All that aside, I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that Webster rates Ford for his fitness and defensive workrate and that these qualities evidently fill a necessary role in Webster's overall strategy. Him being a set-restart magnet or a handbrake on attack is probably irrelevant because he'll continue to be picked anyway.

JJ

Immortal
All that aside, I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that Webster rates Ford for his fitness and defensive workrate and that these qualities evidently fill a necessary role in Webster's overall strategy.
This is it, Ford isn't a star, and there are 'work ons', but a fit defensively oriented guy with a high work-rate is important - think we can see Webster's plan, so I'm good with it

Meth

Staff member
I really wanted Ford to work. I may have even been a bit optimistic about him earlier on, thinking that he was a bit raw and would reign in his discipline. We are just too far in now and he has not. Not sure what the stats say, but anyone who watches the game can tell you that. Maybe I am being harsh, while some want to be more charitable. It’s just a no from me.

nswarrior

Juniors
Did anybody count how many errors Egan made? A couple of shockers from dummy half.
Sometimes when we talk about someone we just focus a lot on them

Reactions: JJ

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Did anybody count how many errors Egan made? A couple of shockers from dummy half.
It’s been mentioned in other threads. A few of us left hi out of our 3-2-1 this week because he made a few howlers in that game

Scott

Bench
Re Ford -

If Jazz & D.Walker are fit & available then they are on the bench, with potentially Curran playing in Ford's jersey. That's my take.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Yeah but Egan is a good footy player. Ford makes a lot of errors AND he can’t really play. Surprises me people can’t see this. Low skill, low impact on attack.

It’s like…Sonny Bill Williams could get away with making errors because it was in the process of trying to make an impact. Michael Luck really needed to make all his tackles and make no errors to justify his spot in the team. You can’t be a plodder AND error prone.

Last edited:
Yep- but it's uncharacteristic.
No it's not. He has one or two bad passes or decisions in each game.

I mean there player love and bias but even for you this is just plain cheeky/wrong lol.

You love Egan more than Ford we know Meth we know lol

Ford gets selected because he gets better with time on the field.
He also assists with the bench being a 80 minute player that just keeps on going it's valuable.
The infringements aren't too high compared to his minutes playing.
Its obvious he's doing things right that the coach still loves. Who are we to question Ford ongoing selection in First Grade?

Meth

Staff member
No it's not. He has one or two bad passes or decisions in each game.

I mean there player love and bias but even for you this is just plain cheeky/wrong lol.

You love Egan more than Ford we know Meth we know lol

I wrote you off a long time ago but if you can’t tell the difference between the error rate v work rate of Egan and Ford, there really is no hope for you

GoSouths

Juniors
So are you being critical of Ford the player or the Coach selecting him in the starting lineup every week? I dont see how you can differentiate the two unless you think the coach is a muppet.
For me, i dont think Webby has put a foot wrong so far.

Last edited:
I wrote you off a long time ago but if you can’t tell the difference between the error rate v work rate of Egan and Ford, there really is no hope for you.
Keep grating away as Webby sees how it all works. You writing me or any player off means nothing from a moderator on a forum lol

Meth

Staff member
So are you being critical of Ford the player or the Coach selecting him in the starting lineup every week? I dont see how you can differentiate the two unless you think the coach is a muppet.
For me, i dont think Webby has put a foot wrong so far.

At the end of the day, Webster is doing a bloody good job. Every coach has their quirks and their preferences and will make decisions that leave you scratching your head. They're judged on their performances and success earns them leeway.

Webster obviously knows more about Rugby League than I do. He is no muppet.

In saying that, I still don't get his perseverance and stubbornness over Ford. I just don't.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah but Egan is a good footy player. Ford makes a lot of errors AND he can’t really play. Surprises me people can’t see this. Low skill, low impact on attack.

It’s like…Sonny Bill Williams could get away with making errors because it was in the process of trying to make an impact. Michael Luck really needed to make all his tackles and make no errors to justify his spot in the team. You can’t be a plodder AND error prone.

qft

Meth

Staff member
btw- if and when Ford pays off, I'll be the first one fronting up to acknowledge it.

But when you think about Ford, what does his face look like? Be honest- it's that nonplussed expression he has on his face after he's made an error, isn't it?