What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weedler says something sensible about the game for once

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bo...ticism-of-his-manly-team-20180505-p4zdlm.html

Why is the NRL in a different league?

We like to keep the NRL and its officials on their toes, but NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg must have finished last week shaking his head at the way rugby league is treated compared to its sporting competitors.

Greenberg has come under fire from some media commentators for urging players, coaches, fans, officials and media to talk up the game.

Greenberg had every right to think his rival codes were headed for ruin as a series of scandals unfolded during the week.

In the AFL, chief executive Gillon McLachlan admitted he had no problem with clubs paying money to keep issues quiet.

It followed the revelation that one club reached a confidential settlement with a junior staffer who claimed a club figure sexually harassed her. Given the abuse he copped for allowing Matt Lodge back in the game, Greenberg would probably be forced to stand down if he admitted he was happy harassment claims be kept confidential. But McLachlan’s comments hardly raised an eyebrow.

Former AFL premiership-winning coach Mark “Bomber” Thompson then faced court charged with a raft of drug matters, including two counts of trafficking ecstasy and trafficking methylamphetamine.

It was portrayed in the Melbourne media as a tragic story of someone who had failed to bounce back after the ASADA affair at Essendon. You can only imagine the kind of coverage it would receive in Sydney if it was a high-profile NRL coach.

In rugby union, Waratah Nick Phipps was thrown out of a hotel after urinating on a bar. He copped a $4000 fine and it was all over 24 hours later.

Compare that with Mitchell Pearce, who copped a $125,000 fine, an eight-week suspension and months of publicity for his antics in a private home.

In the A-League, two officials from Melbourne Victory ran on to the field and physically manhandled Sydney FC player David Carney during last weekend’s semi-final. If that happened in the NRL it would probably attract a life ban. The two A-League officials got four weeks!

But it didn’t take long for the long knives of rugby league to come out again. Dally M judge Ruan Sims broke the rules and had to stand down. It was a minor breach, but Sims managed to attract front-page headlines.

The critics laugh off the negative headlines as part of the soap opera of rugby league. But try telling that to Greenberg, who has to try to sell the product to sponsors, supporters and mums who are reluctant to let their children play the game while it is portrayed in such a negative light.

no name

Coach
In short, he has called himself and his colleagues crisis merchants.
If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem Danny Boy.

Diesel

Referee
RL sells papers, RU & soccer don’t. And the AFL have an understanding that if you say anything negative, you’ll never be able to work in the southern states again

Liddell

Juniors
I have no idea who that bomber thompson is but I heard Emma Freedman almost in tears talking about him and how much of a victim he was because a bikie was staying in his house which explains the drugs the other day on the grill team. Matty Johns even popped up saying how much of a good bloke he is.

Iafeta

Referee
I have no idea who that bomber thompson is but I heard Emma Freedman almost in tears talking about him and how much of a victim he was because a bikie was staying in his house which explains the drugs the other day on the grill team. Matty Johns even popped up saying how much of a good bloke he is.

It’s not his go

This Year?

Immortal
Sounds like Matty was having a sniff...

El Diablo

Post Whore
must be their dealer and now they need a new one

even Sloth had a go at those types

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3955805b46e647408398f6dcffc559f9

SINNER

FOR all those AFL types concerned for the welfare of accused drug trafficker Mark “Bomber” Thompson, spare a thought for the families of those who have had lives destroyed by the substances the former coach and star player has allegedly been profiting from.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

Unbelievable.
Emma Freedman is ruining Matt Johns shows.
What does she have over him??
I'm not interested in anything she is on.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Unbelievable.
Emma Freedman is ruining Matt Johns shows.
What does she have over him??
I'm not interested in anything she is on.
shes just another born n raised in a football fan state & an apologist for that Victorian rubbish
shes as bad as the scum shes defending