What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome Back Luciano

st.phil

Bench
A slight waft of good fortune now blowing over our club. I don’t wish to get ahead of myself but maybe the tides are turning. Really pleased to have Flannagan running the show. It just feels different.
100% - Hook's management ethos was "them's the rules / toughen up / don't complain" - what a plank he was... on reflection, worse than Mary in a lot of ways

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Flanno did say they will no longer be the whipping boys anymore. I am assuming he got sick of Saints copping the raw end of the deal all these years with the previous guys just letting it happen. Flanno will go off deluxe I feel if there are clear and obvious bad bunker/ref calls. Lets wait and see.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Flanno did say they will no longer be the whipping boys anymore. I am assuming he got sick of Saints copping the raw end of the deal all these years with the previous guys just letting it happen. Flanno will go off deluxe I feel if there are clear and obvious bad bunker/ref calls. Lets wait and see.
walsh got fine for his shoulder charge, Rava got the book thrown at him, Dirty f@#$

maestro1

Bench
I do to. But he is on overs
No he isn't. We are paying him around the mid 600k. That is not overs for Luc. If you count his total pay with the Cows contribution, he is on about 900k. That might slightly too much for Luc

BLM01

First Grade
No he isn't. We are paying him around the mid 600k. That is not overs for Luc. If you count his total pay with the Cows contribution, he is on about 900k. That might slightly too much for Luc
What we are paying next year more the point
And imo 650 Is slightly overs when I compare him and Sua who I think is a better player

Last edited:
You won’t know whether or not he’s overs until you see what he offers in real time and as the season develops.

Anything else is speculation.

He’s definitely capable effort of the grinding style of play Flanno is after.

Hes played an average of 17 games a season and is a current international in the second best team in the world.

He’s close to his strongest physically -by age at least. So far as I know, he’s not carrying any bad injuries either. Good scans and we know the SGI health testing is rigorous and effective.

He’s got a couple of different strings to his bow.

He doesn’t get a gig for the impressive Samoans if he’s factory.

There was a good point earlier about getting a squad settled by November. That is ideal but the world of recruitment is so dark and dodgy! Anything can happen.

I did some rough maths and his unavailability costs him or the club over $45k a game.

The club helped him with the appeal indicating that are desperate to get him on the park asap. Understandable.

since77

Juniors
What we are paying next year more the point
And imo 650 Is slightly overs when I compare him and Sua who I think is a better player
Agree Sua is the better player. Really hope we can resign him.
I am however interested to see what a good coach can do with Luc. So far he's had McIdiot, then moved to a terrible set up at the Tigers, then to the Cowboys - and I'm not sold on Payten yet as an elite coach.
This might be the first time in his career he's had genuinely NRL standard coaching. I do wish the deal had been done earlier and he had a full preseason of training and Flanagan culture renewal under his belt.
I do think the squad looks better with Luc than without him. We have a half decent set of forwards for the first time in years.

hewi

Bench
This sums up what the last 12 years has cost us but the good news is the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

‘We can shake up the comp’: Why Leilua had to come home to the Dragons​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

March 16, 2024 — 5.00am
Save

Normal text sizeALarger text sizeAVery large text sizeA

Luciano Leilua returns to St George Illawarra with a sense of optimism, a dose of remorse and without all the white noise after disconnecting from social media.
Leilua will play his first game for the Dragons in five years, after stints at the Tigers and Cowboys, against the Dolphins at Kayo Stadium on Sunday. The appearance is possible after the Red V were successful in halving what was originally a two-match ban, imposed for a low-range drink-driving offence
https://archive.md/iVdPU#

The homecoming is an opportunity for the Hurstville United junior to finish his career where it started.
“I wish I stayed there to be a one-club man,” Leilua said. “Everything happens for a reason and I’m grateful to come back. When I left, I needed a change. I had a chance to get some experience at the different clubs I was at, and I’ve got a chance to bring that back to the club.
“I’m excited to get back onto the field. We’re a team that’s on the rise. I think we can really shake up the competition.”
Leilua describes his time in Townsville as “a bit up and down”. There was a three-month NRL suspension for domestic violence charges, which the police ultimately dropped. And then there was the drink-driving incident that was the catalyst for his comeback.
St George Illawarra Dragons forward Luciano Leilua.

St George Illawarra Dragons forward Luciano Leilua.CREDIT: ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
“We were in talks about me coming back even though I had that drink-driving incident. They still had full confidence in me, I’m really grateful for that,” Leilua said.
“It was a really, really silly mistake. I definitely take full ownership of it. It won’t happen again. I’m really grateful to the Dragons for still allowing me to sign, they really helped me through that. I’m just really grateful.”

Leilua returns to the Dragons on a three-year deal worth about $2.5 million. There has been some social media debate about whether he is worth the money, but the Samoan international is oblivious to it all.
“Honestly, it’s the first I’ve heard about it,” he said. “I’m not on social media any more. It’s definitely a bit of a distraction. I just try to focus on raising my two girls and spend time with my fiancé. I keep a bit of a low profile and just play footy, what makes me happy.
“I try to get off the media and just enjoy life. It’s so rewarding, I don’t even know why I had social media, people just get sucked into it.”
The pitch from new coach Shane Flanagan was instrumental in making the move happen, but so too was the chance to reunite with fellow returning Dragon Hame Sele.
“It was a decision I had to make. I wanted to come home, I wanted to be around family and see my old mates,” he said. “One of my mates, Hame, he convinced me to come back home. We go way back, we grew up with footy.

“I’ve known Hame since primary school. He just said the club has changed since we were [first] there, that it’s a better club now. He said the boys in the squad are looking good and so are the coaches.
“I’ve got big wraps on [former Cowboys staffer, now Dragons assistant] Dean Young, I’ve had him since I was little. I’ve always respected him, he’s always treated me with honesty but still been hard at the same time. That’s what you want out of a coach. Flanno too is a really good guy and smart coach. I’m really excited.”
Leilua won’t have to wait long to face his former team; the Dragons play the Cowboys in round three.
“Hopefully we can get a win this week and go in with a couple of wins against my old club. That should be good,” he said.

“I just want to see all my mates and get one over them. There won’t be much emotion. It will be good to see them