What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well said Shaun wane

Last Week

Bench
I think everyone would agree, but how?

France have everything going for them. It's in them now to make it happen.

As for Ireland, Wales and Scotland, well work has been done there prior, but never persistent.

It's really simple in my view, just pick one country to focus on. Commit for about 15 years at least and devote effort to all levels and ages. Offer consistent test matches and watch them grow.

I hate doing this, but Argentina in Union is a good template. As is Georgia and Italy.

yakstorm

First Grade
I'm not sure why Ireland is never in the mix in these discussions. Firstly there is the well known rivalry between the two nations, secondly there is a huge Irish community in the league heartlands and thirdly there have been (and I'm sure there will continue to be) a steady flow of Irish heritage players.

Sure the match up is unlikely to draw big crowds over in Ireland, but play in areas like Leeds & Huddersfield and you'll get good crowds (as they have previously) and build a rivalry.

From a TV perspective, the home nations rate, Scotland, Ireland & Wales have drawn as big of audiences on the BBC as Australia & NZ, and at least the BBC will go for that versus the Exiles.

It's possibly the quickest of the 4 possible options to turn into a decent opponent.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
France is the obvious low hanging fruit. G8 country, existing domestic league, pro team (hopefully two) in SL (should be permanent). Pool of professional players for the national team to pick from.

I love that the NRL have committed to an annual international program for the Pacific Nations. I love that England are committed to bringing a touring team annually, but both hemespheres need to get on the same page and play an annual tournament featuring all the key nations that we want to grow....

Aus, NZ, Eng, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, France

Put the world cup on hold for a bit, play an annual 8 nations (I would like both but it seems to be a bit too much to ask for in our game). Then everyone else play annual regional tournaments.

Two pools of 4, three tests each min and a final for the winner of each pool. Alternate North and South hemisphere each year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully Toulouse get promoted and can stay up. Can only help deepen the French talent pool. To ga should be playing France in Perpignan pre the test series imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would be good if IMG turned around and said 14 teams for SL. Toulouse and London you're in. Take your pick from Wakefield, Bradford or Featherstone. Won't happen of course.
IMG have no say in it, the SL clubs run SL. And until the tv money increases again they wont be voting for more teams.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
IMG have no say in it, the SL clubs run SL. And until the tv money increases again they wont be voting for more teams.
It was a hypothetical, in a perfect world situation. You would have to agree it would be great for the game if it did.

But of course it's not going to happen we all know that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was a hypothetical, in a perfect world situation. You would have to agree it would be great for the game if it did.

But of course it's not going to happen we all know that.
At this point in time no it wouldn’t. Existing clubs are barely hanging in and money is going down again for next two years.

Adding two more mouths to the bowl now would be a disaster.

When the game can afford it, sure.
ideally I’d like to see a viable Toulouse, York and Bradford in SL. Leigh out.

RedVee_8

Juniors
At this point in time no it wouldn’t. Existing clubs are barely hanging in and money is going down again for next two years.

Why York?

Leigh out is a bizarre call when they are the club which has embraced the idea of matchday entertainment better than any club since Bull Mania. They have a tidy little stadium and people have packed it out for the best part of the year and have a Challenge Cup as their reward, won in a promotion season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why York?
City of 150k plus surrounding area, best weekend away for fans, well known in England, short travel for fans, reasonable stadium, can attract players from east and West Yorkshire due to its central location, building the club nicely.

RedVee_8

Juniors
City of 150k plus surrounding area, best weekend away for fans, well known in England, short travel for fans, reasonable stadium, can attract players from east and West Yorkshire due to its central location, building the club nicely.
But pretty close to Bradford (and other?) towns that already have a SL or Championship team?

Brian potter

Bench
Leigh out is a bizarre call when they are the club which has embraced the idea of matchday entertainment better than any club since Bull Mania. They have a tidy little stadium and people have packed it out for the best part of the year and have a Challenge Cup as their reward, won in a promotion season.
Leigh were one of the highlights and positives of the 2023 season.

plus their stadium is a decent 12k which could easily be expanded to 14-15k by filling in the corners a la Warrington’s halliwell jones stadium or extending the grandstand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leigh were one of the highlights and positives of the 2023 season.

plus their stadium is a decent 12k which could easily be expanded to 14-15k by filling in the corners a la Warrington’s halliwell jones stadium or extending the grandstand.
They’ve got all their sustainable eggs in one whacko basket. Sure if they keep growing from their strong start, but they may equally be down to Wakey levels in a year or two. It’s a small town dwarfed by wigan.

Brian potter

Bench
They’ve got all their sustainable eggs in one whacko basket. Sure if they keep growing from their strong start, but they may equally be down to Wakey levels in a year or two. It’s a small town dwarfed by wigan.
It’s not like they’ve got much choice. lol!!

if I was Leigh and DB I’d start looking outside the box by targeting areas like Bolton and Manchester for junior players for their academy and even for new potential fans.