What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

welsh news

dimitri

First Grade
Interview: Lenny Woodard (Bridgend Blue Bulls)
Wed Sep 03, 1:53pm (UK)
Source: RFL Official Release
While much of the attention has focused on the influence of the Blue Bulls' former professionals - player/coach Kevin Ellis and his half back partner Allan Bateman having starred for Warrington and Wales and ex-Widnes and Great Britain centre John Devereux proving a menace in midfield - the form
of winger Lenny Woodard has been crucial in Bridgend's run to the final of the Harry Jepson Trophy.

One of the quickest men in the Total .com RL Conference, his long range match clinching try to defeat Cardiff Demons in the play offs was a prime example of his worth, a feat he repeated to help down Aberavon Irish in the quarter finals and Ipswich Rhinos in the semis.

Although a relative Rugby League novice , the Wales 'A' Union flier has a 13-a-sid pedigree. He said: "I started playing when I was at college at UWIC and really enjoyed it. I went on to play for the Welsh and then Great Britain Students and in 1999 I was offered a trial at Hull FC."

"I was there from May to August but the team was struggling and coach Peter Walsh got the sack during that time. I was training with the first team and was due to make my debut against St Helens but the new man in charge, Steve Crooks, reckoned that he couldn't take the risk as they were battling against relegation and in a pressure situation."

"In the end Pontypridd Rugby Union club came in and made me the offer of a two year contract but I did regret not being able to stay on at Hull because I think that maybe I could have done well."

There was the compensation of being the only amateur picked to play for the Welsh international side in the Lincoln Triangular Series against Ireland at the Vetch Field later that season but he is delighted to back four years later and making a similar impact.

"It's relatively easy to make the transition as a winger, it is virtually the same on attack and defence, you can get as involved as you want , although there are more cross kicks to deal with in League."

The success of the newly created Welsh division in the Rugby League Conference, which has spawned finalists in both the main Harry Jepson Trophy and through the efforts of Torfaen Tigers in the RLC Shield, has led to pressing calls for the thirteen-a-side code to build a lasting presence in the Principality.

"There is an ideal opportunity to establish a professional franchise in the future or a semi professional one now."

"The idea of starting at the grassroots level has been good but the great thing for Bridgend has been that we have had full and part time union players willing to play Rugby League for nothing."

"There has been a massive interest created in our efforts and success and to reach the final is a tremendous achievement."

Playing alongside the aforementioned greats has been a huge boost, not only for their Blue Bulls team mates but also opponents who have been overjoyed to have literally tackled a legend.

"It's been a big thrill for the younger guys, in particular, and they have learned a lot from it. To take a lot of them from scratch to a winning outfit has been an amazing feat. Allan, I know, has really enjoyed it."

Lenny's consistency has seen him nominated as one of the top three in his position and in line for a place in the mythical but highly prized RLC 'Dream Team'.

"That is a huge honour and something I am genuinely really proud of. It is a real boost for the Welsh division as a whole although we know comparisons are difficult because we don't meet teams from other areas until the play offs."

For that reason, it is difficult to gauge a form line going into the decider with Carlisle Centurions although he is adamant who should be viewed as the favourites.

"We are the underdogs especially if you look at the victory margins in the respective semi finals. We have been looking at their results in reaching the Grand Final and their stuffing of Leeds shows what a good side they are. We aim to give it a good crack, play to the best of our ability and hopefully not let ourselves down."

"It will be great for everyone that the match is being played at a prestigious professional ground (Wilderspool in Warrington) which will give the youngsters in particular moments to treasure on the big stage."

He has ambitions for his thirteen-a-side involvement to be extended into the autumn irrespective of next Sunday's outcome.

"My ultimate goal is to get another cap for Wales in the forthcoming European Nations Cup tournament, which would again show the strength of and be a great advert for grassroots Welsh Rugby League.

"I would love to be selected to play against Russia (at Aberavon RFC) and then to be in contention for the match with Australia at Bridgend.

"Who knows where we could take it from there, you never know, it might lead to me being offered a professional career in the code."

* The Total RL.COM Rugby League Conference Grand Final takes place at Wilderspool Stadium on Sunday 7th October (ko 12.45pm)
* Following that game, Warrington Wolves take on Halifax in the Tetley's Super League (ko 3.00pm) then after that, Bolton Le-Moors play Torfaen Tigers in the Total RL.COM Rugby League Conference Shield Final (ko 5.15pm)