What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Brian potter

Bench
I'm

I'm biased as I live in Perth but both are great choices.
I would say that Perth have the edge but from an international perspective I hope it’s NZ2 and Christchurch but again I’m not going to be disappointed if it’s either one.

I would be deeply disappointed if team 18 goes to a combined PNG&cairns bid or even worse a pasifika bid!!!

Bukowski

Juniors
I would say that Perth have the edge but from an international perspective I hope it’s NZ2 and Christchurch but again I’m not going to be disappointed if it’s either one.

I would be deeply disappointed if team 18 goes to a combined PNG&cairns bid or even worse a pasifika bid!!!
Like wise, it's a terrible option right now.

DIOGENES

Juniors
There used to be a club, Goldfields Titans, but the travel to play in the Perth league killed it off (7 hour train ride each way), along with the transient nature of the population.
Royce Hunt (Cronulla) came out of that club.
Unofficially they were the most isolated RL club in the world lol

I did that train trip and return once for a long weekend in Perth.
Jesus! - they must have been devoted to do that every week for a game of football.
you could do it by air but the costs would be crippling

Tigers1986

Juniors
Lovely to see steady numbers in the grades over in Perth.

I wouldn't object at all to Perth (or Christchurch) being the 18th team - the timezone they both offer is very tantalising to the TV execs, new market, expat fanbase.

MugaB

Coach
I wouldn't mind the perth pelicans. Theres a US team called the pelicans that always gives me a chuckle. Fairly unique.

Announcing a new team in Perth would be a good lead in to the double header here in August.
Bay of Plenty Steeeeamers gives me a chuckle, i could see West Coast Steamers being a thing too

Perth Red

Post Whore
The CEO of NRL expansion team the Dolphins says a WA franchise makes “perfect sense” but would need the salary cap and recruiting concessions they never received.

Terry Reader will bring the Redcliffe team from Brisbane’s northern corridor to Perth for an August double-header at Optus Stadium and hopes it becomes an annual trip against a Perth-based team in the future.

“There is a lot to like about Perth coming in given the time zone for TV but also the wonderful work that has gone on the ground there for many years,” Reader said.
A former marketing manager and head of commercial and strategy at the Brisbane Broncos, Reader has made several trips to Perth for matches against South Sydney.
We had successful corporate events and had a good look at the juniors and the first-grade competition and there is a wonderful stadium there in HBF Park,” he said.

“There is a hell of a lot to like about Perth and what it can bring to the game. It makes perfect sense. There has already been a team there (Western Reds) and there is a foundation in place... and if we want to grow the game it is an important part of doing so.”

However, Reader warned a Perth team would need assistance on and off the field, with the Dolphins left to do it all themselves.

“There was no funding, no concessions on our salary cap, it was like ‘You are on your own and we will see you when you start’,” he said. “They couldn’t do that with a WA team.”

The Dolphins beat two other Brisbane bids, the Firehawks and Jets, to the competition’s 17th licence last October, to become the league’s first expansion team in 14 years.

Tellingly, the Dolphins’ bid was put together in 100 days by Reader and his team, alongside Freshwater Strategy, the same consultants a WA Government working party and VenuesWest have engaged to lead the Perth push.