What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once again the NRL is talking expansion and they are tossing up new franchise possibilities like an Italian chef preparing a pizza base or an Aussie pub cook juggling a hot potato.
I keep hearing that the first franchise off the rank to join the NRL as the 18th team will be a club from Papua New Guinea. Every time I hear that I can’t help but ask, what about Perth?
Why is the Australian National Rugby League overlooking an untapped resource in their own backyard? A resource that had only started to scratch the surface for three years before it was scrapped, apparently because the Western Reds had accumulated a debt as a result of the club having to pay the airfares for all visiting teams! What the?
If any new horizon is going to succeed in Australia then it would be Perth. It’s the obvious choice for the next NRL club for me with over 2 million people living in the capital city of Australia’s biggest state by land mass – it’s a no-brainer! Otherwise, the NRL should change its name to EARL (Eastern Australia Rugby League).
Three of the top four countries of birth in WA (outside of Australia) are England, New Zealand and South Africa – all rugby playing nations. There are also lots of people from the eastern side of Australia who have moved to WA for work. Perth also has two suitable existing stadiums: Optus Stadium, with a capacity of 60,000, and the rectangular HBF Park, with a 20,500 seating capacity.

I heard Andrew Abdo talk about what they are looking for in regards to expansion. He talked about growing the game in the Pacific. He said it’s a conversation around “the Broader Pacific Strategy”, making rugby league the showpiece sport in the Pacific, with Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, PNG, Tonga, and Samoa at the centre.

If that’s the case, then another team based in New Zealand or Australia makes more sense to me. Surely a club based in New Zealand’s South Island would help more with their broader Pacific strategy? And as Andrew Abdo said, the Pacific strategy does include growing the game in Australia. Well then, go back to Perth and the untapped rugby league mine that was abandoned 27 years ago.

Pippen94

First Grade
Once again the NRL is talking expansion and they are tossing up new franchise possibilities like an Italian chef preparing a pizza base or an Aussie pub cook juggling a hot potato.
I keep hearing that the first franchise off the rank to join the NRL as the 18th team will be a club from Papua New Guinea. Every time I hear that I can’t help but ask, what about Perth?
Why is the Australian National Rugby League overlooking an untapped resource in their own backyard? A resource that had only started to scratch the surface for three years before it was scrapped, apparently because the Western Reds had accumulated a debt as a result of the club having to pay the airfares for all visiting teams! What the?
If any new horizon is going to succeed in Australia then it would be Perth. It’s the obvious choice for the next NRL club for me with over 2 million people living in the capital city of Australia’s biggest state by land mass – it’s a no-brainer! Otherwise, the NRL should change its name to EARL (Eastern Australia Rugby League).
Three of the top four countries of birth in WA (outside of Australia) are England, New Zealand and South Africa – all rugby playing nations. There are also lots of people from the eastern side of Australia who have moved to WA for work. Perth also has two suitable existing stadiums: Optus Stadium, with a capacity of 60,000, and the rectangular HBF Park, with a 20,500 seating capacity.

I heard Andrew Abdo talk about what they are looking for in regards to expansion. He talked about growing the game in the Pacific. He said it’s a conversation around “the Broader Pacific Strategy”, making rugby league the showpiece sport in the Pacific, with Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, PNG, Tonga, and Samoa at the centre.

If that’s the case, then another team based in New Zealand or Australia makes more sense to me. Surely a club based in New Zealand’s South Island would help more with their broader Pacific strategy? And as Andrew Abdo said, the Pacific strategy does include growing the game in Australia. Well then, go back to Perth and the untapped rugby league mine that was abandoned 27 years ago.

There's no Perth bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's no Perth bid
Haha you still on that one? Cuckoo cuckoo

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Haha you still on that one? Cuckoo cuckoo

So bears the Perth bid?!

Latest posts