What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Indies RL article in Courier Mail

Paullyboy

Coach
Gday guys, I dont normally post in this section but came across this article in the sport section of the Courier Mail today and thought it may interest you, then again its probably old news to you lot.

GET READY FOR THE WAHOOS

Their cricketing credentials are well known, but could the "Windies" be rugby league's next big thing?

The next Joel Garner to leap out of the Carribean will be a wide-running rugby league second-rower and not a fast bowler, says Queensland residents five-eight Dane Campbell.

The East Tigers star is responsible for forming league's latest footy team: The West Indies Wahoos. Its a bizarre scenario. How can a 21 year old footballer who has never been to the West Indies head up their rugby league program?

"The idea struck me last September when I was in Sydney watching Greece play Italy," says Campbell, the Queensland Cup's second-leading pointscorer. "Ive had a passion for expanding the game internationally all my life and Id always believed the West Indies had the potential to be a league-playing region. Watching that game, I knew something had to be done."

After discovering 65 West Indian players were competing at varying levels in Britain, Campbell contacted International Rugby League Federation international development manager Tas Baiteri. After much discussion, the West Indies Rugby League Federation was born.

Since then, Campbell has been building a global network of WIRLF representatives - Great Britain internationals Leon Price and Chev Walker have confirmed their eligibility, and former Lion Alan Hunte is on the coaching staff.

Queenslanders could get their first glimpse of the the Wahoos as soon as February, where they hope to compete at the World Sevens. Campbell says the Wahoos - named after a Carribean fish - can make an impact on the world stage.

"With our best side on the park, there's no reason why we cant be ranked fourth behind Australia, Britain and NZ," he says.

"Our delegates have been workind hard establishing the game and already a four-team competition in Jamaica has been put in place. We are also looking at competitions in Bermuda, Barbados, Trinidad, Tobago and the Cayman Islands."

Campbell believes the West Indians' 'natural athleticism' makes them ideally suited to the game.

The WIRLF is planning for the 2008 world cup, with support from two of Campbell's Tigers teammates - former Broncos Steve Renouf and Darren Smith. The pair are honorary patrons of the WIRLF, with Renouf the proud owner of a new Wahoos jersey. (with the article there is a pictuer of these 3 with Renouf wearing the jersey, quite a nice jersey and it looks very similar to the design used by most super league teams)

Although years away, Campbell is buoyed by the prospect of an Australian-West Indies Test series. "You see the reactions the Windies get when they come here for the cricket - they capture people's imaginations," He says.

-----------------------------------------

Interesting read and its gonna get exposed to a lot of people now thanks to the Courier Mail which is a good thing

screeny

Bench
Very positive indeed, although I was under the impression that the Windies had just had thier first training session in Jamaica, while this article quotes Campbell as saying a four-team comp was already estbalished.

They've certainly overtaken Greece and Italy, that's for sure! Actually, saying they've overtaken Italy is a bit harsh, but if this Jamaica initiative maintains its current pace it will have overtaken Italy in the development stakes in next to no time.

Fampa

Juniors
This is something that Dane has been working on for some time. Even at the most basic level it is giving some exposure to what some people, with a bit of work, can achieve in international rugby league.

I can't wait for the Sevens next year, where other smaller countries can get a bit of exposure as well.

DIEHARD

----
Yea but possibly even less nations will be taking part in teh World Sevens next year. And this year England didn't even come they sent Widnes...

I feel bad that all these teams come so far and only compete in the World Sevens qualifier. We need to work towards a full competition.

ali

Bench
Great stuff. I didn't realise Dane was a good footy player as well. Is he eligable to play for any other nations?

LESStar58

Referee
That makes alot of sense...the number of players of West Indian descent running around in the ESL could provide them (the WIRL) with a good core of players like Leon Pryce to make a competitive side. Imagine if they had done this 15 years ago and they had Ellery Hanley and Martin 'Chariots' Offiah (that is such a cool nickname!) playing for them.

Latest posts