What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Indies v England, 2nd Test @ Antigua

West Indies won the toss and elected to bowl first

England 0/4 off 0.4 overs

cricinfo had this to say

We're nearly under way here. Andrew Miller is going to take you through the first hour - over to you, Andrew. Why thank you Will, good morning everyone. A big call to bowl first from Chris Gayle, but with Jerome Taylor utterly high on confidence, it's very reasonable.

9.50am The pitch itself's flat and batsman-friendly, though is reported as being "tacky" by several people. It's got something for the bowlers, certainly, and there are plenty of clouds above. Breezy, changeable conditions. But with England batting first mere days after being bowled out for 51, the first session really is going to be enthralling (and nerve-wracking for England fans) viewing.
sounds like an odd decision to bowl first ... i would have though after a crushing victory they would have liked to have scored a big total and keep england on the back foot ... now england have the perfect platform to win this test

i'm off to watch it on fox

this was said about the umpires

Interesting that Harper is the man in the middle alongside Hill for this Test. The senior umpire, Rudi Koertzen, is on third umpire duty, presumably to prevent more referral farces

and this was said about the outfield

9.40am All sorts of concerns about the outfield. It was relaid after the 2007 World Cup (in which it caused plenty of controversy) and both teams' physios are concerned it's going to affect both fielders (diving in the outfield) and bowlers' run-ups. It's basically a beach; there's vast amounts of sand.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe it was a psychological call at the toss? England have just been rolled for 51, I can't see them being too eager to bat again so soon. I'm sure they'd have rather had a good bowl, got a feel for the game and then gone out to bat. Perhaps Gayle is hoping that the 51, coupled with reports of a tacky pitch and grey weather, will make them second guess themselves and fall in a heap. Not exactly the most solid basis for making a decision, but if it comes off it'll be seen as brilliant. Of course, if it doesn't....it could be a long match for the Windies lol

yeah i would assume that is precisely gayle's thinking ... but if it goes wrong then this test could be over or out of reach before they get a bat so they'll have to be spot on and consistancy hasn't been their strong point ... this rain shower will help them though

the rain didn't look heavy at all so they should be back soon

play has been abandoned for the day because the outfield is unsuitable for play

this is a disgrace for an international cricket venue ... it looks like a beach out there and the bowlers run ups are terrible

anyone remember the WI v england test circa 98 when play was abandoned because ambrose and walsh nearly killed the english team because the pitch was terrible?

Bazal

Post Whore
Really? I was off doing other things....that's absolutely disgraceful...

IanG

Coach
Yeah match abandon due to unsafe ground. Moved to the old Antigua Recreation Ground and will start on Sunday. Weird state of affairs
West Indies vs England 2nd Test at Antigua

98957.jpg

98956.jpg

98961.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts