What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Coaches 2024

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Maybe the help that is on the way that Richo was referring to is a top class coach to replace Robbie as he heads into a management type roll.

Pure speculation but it could be a win win situation.

By the way I have nothing but admiration for Robbie. A champion amongst champions in my opinion.

Vic Mackey

Referee
My dream scenario is NQ have a horrible start to the year, they sack Payten and he comes here as attack coach. Richo then secures Bennett as a Head of Coaching type role for 2025.

Nutz

Bench
I think some of us are tagging Benji as a cuddles manager.
I think this is way off, he does have a spoilt don't argue manner, I've seen it in a couple of his training days.
If Bennett was walking around in the background giving some feedback to Benji here and there it would be perfect.
Bennett thinks the world of Benji. You can tell this by the way he talks about him.

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m giving Benji this season to come to grips with the coaching gig and have us showing some grit, but next season he has no excuses.

Nutz

Bench
Podcast: BTR Episode 42 with John Morris

Morris covers plenty of ground on this episode of BTR, talking about the rigours of pre-season, about what is needed this weekend in Canberra, and giving specific detail about his role as defensive coach.

Morris also talks glowingly about his ‘boss’ Benji, and how well he has brought the crew together. Specifically, telling BTR how Marshall has empowered his assistant coaches with very clearly defined roles.

Morris, who played exactly 300 NRL games over 14 seasons, has plenty to offer Wests Tigers and is a much-valued member of Benji Marshall’s coaching staff.

Like fellow assistants Robbie Farah and Chris Heighington, Morris brings plenty football knowledge and WT DNA to the coaches’ box on gameday. Between the four of them, they’ve played 1,261 NRL games.

“Thinking back to my time as a player at this club, I couldn’t think of three players who better represent the values of what this club is about,” Morris said.

"We trained bloody hard, we were passionate about the club, we were winners, and those values don’t change"

John Morris Wests Tigers Assistant Coach

“We know what that feels like and looks like and that’s why we’re so passionate to work together to get this club back to where we should be.”

He says Benji has been very clear with what he wants this team to look like.

“The standards he’s set from day one, he’s all about team first, first and foremost, and working really hard on developing the boys' mindset and mental resilience after a couple of very difficult years," said Morris.

“He’s experienced everything in the game and the respect he’s got within the club and coaching group, is second to none.
"When he speaks, they listen.

"I’ve been blown away by how well he’s taken to the head coach role, and the standards he’s set"

John Morris

Post up video link when it on YouTube.

Tigerm

First Grade
Podcast: BTR Episode 42 with John Morris

Morris covers plenty of ground on this episode of BTR, talking about the rigours of pre-season, about what is needed this weekend in Canberra, and giving specific detail about his role as defensive coach.

Morris also talks glowingly about his ‘boss’ Benji, and how well he has brought the crew together. Specifically, telling BTR how Marshall has empowered his assistant coaches with very clearly defined roles.

Morris, who played exactly 300 NRL games over 14 seasons, has plenty to offer Wests Tigers and is a much-valued member of Benji Marshall’s coaching staff.

Like fellow assistants Robbie Farah and Chris Heighington, Morris brings plenty football knowledge and WT DNA to the coaches’ box on gameday. Between the four of them, they’ve played 1,261 NRL games.

“Thinking back to my time as a player at this club, I couldn’t think of three players who better represent the values of what this club is about,” Morris said.

"We trained bloody hard, we were passionate about the club, we were winners, and those values don’t change"

John Morris Wests Tigers Assistant Coach

“We know what that feels like and looks like and that’s why we’re so passionate to work together to get this club back to where we should be.”

He says Benji has been very clear with what he wants this team to look like.

“The standards he’s set from day one, he’s all about team first, first and foremost, and working really hard on developing the boys' mindset and mental resilience after a couple of very difficult years," said Morris.

“He’s experienced everything in the game and the respect he’s got within the club and coaching group, is second to none.
"When he speaks, they listen.

"I’ve been blown away by how well he’s taken to the head coach role, and the standards he’s set"

John Morris

Post up video link when it on YouTube.
That was a good chat.

Maybe P. Kent was incorrect about Benji not spending a lot of time with the team.

Having 4 x 300+ game players as coaches, is certainly impressive, but results are everything, don’t know how the season the will go, but it feels like we are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

BENJI INSPIRES YOUNG TIGERS TO MASSIVE UPSET OVER SHARKS

Cooper Cronk has challenged the Tigers to create winning habits and show up consistently for Benji Marshall after their impressive 32-6 upset win over the Sharks.

Cronk believes it was always going to take Marshall time to reverse losing habits, but the Tigers now have a blueprint for what works in the NRL.

“It is good to see Leichhardt rocking and the Tigers winning,” Cronk said.

“This is a team that is coming from a long way back with two wooden spoons and Benji has stepped into the hot seat.

“They had a poor performance last week. First game back at Leichhardt and he spoke about it like he was returning to lace up the boots and his players delivered.

“He obviously hit them between the eyes during the week.”

Cronk paid tribute to key recruits Api Koroisau and Justin Olam for setting the tone as well as young guns Lachlan Galvin and Jahream Bula, who were all exceptional in the big win.

“Jahream Bula was terrific,” Cronk said.

“I love what Koroisau did. Justin Olam who was quiet at the Melbourne Storm had that impact and influence in terms of his try-scoring ability and his defence as well.

“I like what the halves did. He made a big call to swap them. He had Sezer set up for most of the pre-season. Round 1 he brings in Sullivan and then hooks Sullivan and brings Sezer back in.

“He handed a victory to his team because he was the guy. He was the good decision maker and organiser.

“Then Galvin had some touches and Koroisau was the best player on the field and Jahream Bula hit the scoreboard with some tricks.”

Mal Meninga believes Marshall’s experience as a player early in his career makes him the ideal mentor for young stars like Galvin and Bula.

“Benji has been there and done that,” Meninga said.

“He won a premiership with the Tigers by Sheens saying, back yourself and have faith in your own ability and the senior guys in that team then had faith in Benji’s ability.

“From his experience he understands how you get the best out of young players.

“You coach to your own personality. You don’t coach any other way really.”

Cronk believes Marshall’s ability to protect and nurture his young players off the field is just as important at such an early stage in their careers.

“It is more than just coaching for Benji because he has got those two young coaches in Galvin and Bula,” Cronk said.

“The noise or the history and access with social media and the feedback that is straight on your doorstep every day of the week.

“It is not just football to the Wests Tigers. There is more to it.

“I like that Benji is coaching the kid. He is coaching the person. He is coaching Api Koroisau to be that influence and David Klemmer and Aidan Sezer as well.

“I like the fact that they have won. Reality kicks in at some stage and they are going to have to play again and keep the wins coming.

“But for now create the habits and get the understanding of what winning is like.

“The fact they played at Leichhardt was a huge emotional thing for them and they got the job done.”

Nutz

Bench

Benji’s surprise preparation for Tigers ambush​

I can see Jayden Sullivan playing the same role as he did against the Sharks for the rest of the year by coming on to give Api a rest if needed.
Bud's service out of dummy half wasn't too bad and if one of our playmakers go down he can slot straight into there as well.
I did notice that he is carrying a bit of a gut and seems a bit slow when making a dash.... he'll have to sort both of those issues up if he has aspirations of being a ½ next year with Luai.
At this stage Bud is way behind Lachlan Galvin and what I saw of Latu Fainu in reserve grade last week, Bud is behind him as well.
Latu Fainu also can play dummy half as he played well in that role with Samoa recently.
The great thing about Benji's golfing meditation is he's starting to get players competing for spots. Also the horses for courses come into it as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
I can see Jayden Sullivan playing the same role as he did against the Sharks for the rest of the year by coming on to give Api a rest if needed.
Bud's service out of dummy half wasn't too bad and if one of our playmakers go down he can slot straight into there as well.
I did notice that he is carrying a bit of a gut and seems a bit slow when making a dash.... he'll have to sort both of those issues up if he has aspirations of being a ½ next year with Luai.
At this stage Bud is way behind Lachlan Galvin and what I saw of Latu Fainu in reserve grade last week, Bud is behind him as well.
Latu Fainu also can play dummy half as he played well in that role with Samoa recently.
The great thing about Benji's golfing meditation is he's starting to get players competing for spots. Also the horses for courses come into it as well.
TBH, I can’t see Bud lasting his 4 years here? As you say, there are a few in front of him already and Luai is coming.

Nutz

Bench
My guess is 2 before he's back at the dragons
There are a few clubs in need of halfbacks so I don't think we'd have trouble offloading him [there's none out there]
I think it's a bit unfair and premature to write him off so early but I think we are all seeing red flags.
The thing that I'm perplexed about him is he doesn't seem to be jumping out of his skin, fit and lean with pace.
Tbh he is a downgrade from Brooks apart from the money side of things.
I hope players like him and AD don't stop us from signing a gun bookend or outside back.

Tigerm

First Grade
There are a few clubs in need of halfbacks so I don't think we'd have trouble offloading him [there's none out there]
I think it's a bit unfair and premature to write him off so early but I think we are all seeing red flags.
The thing that I'm perplexed about him is he doesn't seem to be jumping out of his skin, fit and lean with pace.
I hope players like him and AD don't stop us from signing a gun bookend or outside back.
I don't see it as writing him off?
We have a shit load of good young blokes coming through, already he's in trouble with how Galvin is going, if he's smart, he will see the writing on the wall, that he's unlikely (barring injury) to make FG here again.
TBH, I think he will lose the utility spot to TDS, sooner rather than later.

Nutz

Bench
Back to coaches ha ha :)
What's everyone's opinion on our assistant coaches?
I think Morris looks the part. He looks like he has a lot to offer.
I'm unsure exactly what Robbie does, order kebabs for Alex maybe.

Tigerm

First Grade
Back to coaches ha ha :)
What's everyone's opinion on our assistant coaches?
I think Morris looks the part. He looks like he has a lot to offer.
I'm unsure exactly what Robbie does, order kebabs for Alex maybe.
I thought Morris was defence, Robbie was attack & Heighno was effort coach, what ever the f**k that is?

Nutz

Bench
Heighno was effort coach, what ever the f**k that is?
That's what I was hinting at.
It was funny when Heighno was trying to gee up the team in a huddle and noone was listening, they were all waiting for the video ref to make a call...poor ol boy :)

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s physically impossible to be a downgrade on Brooks, including Sullivan..Brooks individually loses games.Hes the absolute best at it!

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don't see it as writing him off?
We have a shit load of good young blokes coming through, already he's in trouble with how Galvin is going, if he's smart, he will see the writing on the wall, that he's unlikely (barring injury) to make FG here again.
TBH, I think he will lose the utility spot to TDS, sooner rather than later.
Sullivan is utter garbage & surplus to our needs.I heard from a good source he was forced on us by Mario tartak as part of negotiations to get the Fainu brothers to concord.Tartak manages them all.We have to find a way to discard him & hence use his salary more wisely.