What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers Rabble Thread

Vee

First Grade
Wasn't sure where to put this so Mods can move it as required.

Dean Ritchie
August 18, 2023 - 7:37AM

Wests Tigers co-founder Jim Marsden fears for club’s future, relocation​

As the club approaches a second straight wooden spoon, Wests Tigers co-founder Jim Marsden has expressed “grave fears” that his club could be forced to relocate.

The high-profile lawyer who established Wests Tigers 24 years ago has expressed “grave fears” that his club could be forced to relocate.
“It would absolutely break my heart and break the hearts of many, many fans,” said Jim Marsden, the former Western Suburbs chairman, who founded the joint venture along with Balmain counterpart, John Chalk.

While Marsden desperately hopes his former club can formulate a “properly developed” plan for success, he cannot shake an uneasy angst that Wests Tigers could be targeted if the NRL calls for clubs to be relocated. Ironically, it was rationalisation which pushed Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers together after the NRL was formed in 1998.

Wests Tigers have been rocked yet again with coach Tim Sheens announcing he would quit the club after this season, catapulting Benji Marshall into the coaching hot seat a year ahead of schedule. A second successive wooden spoon this season – the club has won just three games – has only heightened Marsden’s fears.

“From someone who was one the founders of the club, I have grave fears moving forward – something has to give,” Marsden said. “If you’re on the bottom of the ladder forever, you’re going to lose your fan base. The league (NRL) is always looking to expand and if they have to expand at the expense of another club, they’re more likely to do it with a club down the bottom. If a club has to be sacrificed in the interests of expansion, a club on the bottom of the ladder and losing popularity, is the easiest one to sacrifice."

“It would absolutely break my heart, no doubt about it, as well breaking the hearts of many, many fans. I don’t think it’s an actual threat at the moment but unless something is done, it could get to that level. It is a reality. From my point of view, it is extremely disappointing. When you look at it at the moment, you think: ‘There is nowhere to go.’ Disappointed is an understatement. You’ve got to go up but how do you go up?"

“When you have radical changes, and constant changes of coaches, it’s not good for the fans, it’s not good for the players, not good for morale. It just doesn’t work. You can’t turn somebody from bottom of the ladder to top of the ladder overnight. You have to have a well-developed plan to do it and that plan must (include) consistency, get it right and stick to it. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do but you can’t allow little hiccups to change the plan. That plan may well be that you make the top eight in three years, five years, whatever it is.”

Marsden and Chalk spent “hundreds of hours” discussing the possible merger before the joint venture was formally announced on July 27, 1999, the new NRL team starting in 2000. Chalk was inaugural chairman, Marsden his deputy.

Since 2012, Wests Tigers have been coached by Sheens, Mick Potter, Jason Taylor, Andrew Webster, Ivan Cleary, Michael Maguire, Brett Kimmorley, Sheens again, and now Marshall. Ben Gardiner was a caretaker in 2022.

The prospect of a second straight wooden spoon has done little to alleviate Marsden’s fears.

“I’m not closely associated with the club anymore, I’m a mere observer looking in from the outside, but still a Wests Tigers fan,” said Marsden, a senior partner in Marsden Law Group. “I don’t sit in the boardroom and I don’t sit in the management room but from my experience, you’ve got to have a plan, and that plan has to be properly developed and then properly executed. In other words, you’ve got to stick to it."

“So in doing that you then start to develop a level of constancy, I distinguish that from consistency. That makes for a better organisation."

“In this case, you’ve got three factors – sport, business and people. That doesn’t mean they’re in three rankings because they are all equally important. You’ve got to meld the sport, the business and people so you get the best out of every aspect."

“In my business, and we have a very successful and highly-respected legal business in southwest Sydney, we work on plans five years out and we stick to our plans unless something absolutely exceptional comes up to change it. I’m not going to criticise anyone but I can see from the outside that nothing is constant.”

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
My favourite part of all this is how their CEO is off on holiday sunbaking right now... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Such a MEME club....

yobbo84

First Grade
The Tigers remind me of Souths circa 2002-2006.

And just like Souths they need a serious intervention from someone to come in and completely rebuild the place from ground up (or from the board down) or they could head down the path we were heading - oblivion.

t-ba

Post Whore
It honestly just feels like Wests Ashfield feel more inconvenienced having to run a football side than having any desire to actually do it.

soc123_au

Staff member
My favourite part of all this is how their CEO is off on holiday sunbaking right now... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Such a MEME club....
Pascoe is a gronk, but as CEO of the Tigers is there ever really going to be a good time for a holiday with out risk of a shitfight?

Maybe I'm weird, but I never got the handwringing about ScoMo being on holidays when the bushfires were on either. Not like he was going to put the f**kers out. People are entitled to have time with their families, even if they are wankers.

Fangs

Coach
I think when you make a significant decision like sacking your coach you want to hang around for a bit. All hands on deck that kind of thing.

Unless they thought the bloke in the fedora could handle things on his own.

Reflector

Juniors
Problem with the Tigers is they're a merger of two clubs whose heartlands had changed already. Wests moved to Campbelltown from Lidcombe in the 80's because they realised the future was in south-western Sydney, and Balmain had looked at relocating already because the traditional blue collar inhabitants of the inner-west had largely been priced out and moved away.

So now we've got a watered-down joint venture, playing out of three home grounds with no real core identity and it's been a LONG time since they played the kind of football that would endear new fans to them.

Best move for the JV would be to disband and then:

a) Wests get the licence back, return to Campbelltown full-time as the re-branded Western Sydney Magpies and focus on the booming S-W Sydney area for support and juniors.

b) Balmain (or what is left of them) head north and pair up with the Easts bid, allowing them to use the name Brisbane Tigers. Play all their home games at Suncorp with 2-3 games a season at Leichardt. Qld gets another team and Balmain get a better deal than what they've seen for most of the past 20 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very sensationalist. Only way anyone relocates is if they go bust and can’t find an interested one step to take over the license in their current city. Ie no one is. Tigers are a good coach and 3 good signings away from top 8 like every lower club in reality.
deciding on a single home stadium and sorting out their jnr pathways more would help no doubt long term.

Wb1234

Referee
Mergers don’t work

manly and south’s show that

but the club has had a bad culture from the start when terry lanb was coach and thought what hoppa was doing was funny

craig Bellamy was heading there till terry hill made some negative comments in the media and he decided not to go

then Benji and especially Farah had too much power and got multiple coaches sacked

Pascoe needs to go

problem is they’ve neglected Campbelltown so if the dogs get oasis two approved in Liverpool the club has no future there

Balmain still remains a very popular brand because of the 80s heroics

Benji will get thrown to the wolves next year he won’t last

anyway arlc doesn’t have the power to force them to relocate or the votes

Last edited:

JamesRustle

First Grade
The Tigers remind me of Souths circa 2002-2006.

And just like Souths they need a serious intervention from someone to come in and completely rebuild the place from ground up (or from the board down) or they could head down the path we were heading - oblivion.
Brian Waldron and Paul McGregor sound ideal for the job.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I think when you make a significant decision like sacking your coach you want to hang around for a bit. All hands on deck that kind of thing.

Unless they thought the bloke in the fedora could handle things on his own.
Does fedora man look like Benny Elias, or is it just me?

hrundi99

First Grade
Mergers don’t work

manly and south’s show that

but the club has had a bad culture from the start when terry lanb was coach and thought what hoppa was doing was funny

craig Bellamy was heading there till terry hill made some negative comments in the media and he decided not to go

then Benji and especially Farah had too much power and got multiple coaches sacked

Pascoe needs to go

problem is they’ve neglected Campbelltown so if the dogs get oasis two approved in Liverpool the club has no future there

Balmain still remains a very popular brand because of the 80s heroics

Benji will get thrown to the wolves next year he won’t last

anyway arlc doesn’t have the power to force them to relocate or the votes
Souths?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The board has GOT to go. It's the only way to prevent the NRL stepping in. They're digging their heels in for their own self interest but it is obvious they are the rot at the head that needs to be chopped.

Latest posts