What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are Arsenal's odds for the Champs League ?

OVP

Coach
I just watched a truly great performance by a truly GREAT team. The term "GREAT" is too heavily used these days, but i feel that Arsenal certainly deserve that title.

Yes im a biased Villa fan, and i was VERY happy with the way Villa defended in the second half ... Stefan Postma, our reserve goalkeeper was playing the match of his life just to keep the constant attackers at bay. And even our defenders were putting in bigtime to keep them out. But the class in which they scored their goals, you can do nothing but applaud the sheer artistry :clap:. Arsenal won 3-1, but not without a BIG FIGHT ... and for that im proud of my beloved Villans :)

But its just the passing game of Arsenal that makes them so GREAT. They very rarely lose the ball and when they do, it's a mark of a GREAT team who can get the ball back so damn quickly !! And you never see any high ball with them ... its strictly passing perfectly along the ground, every time. I think theyve taken Italian-style football and surpassed even that with sheer and utter class in EVERY position on the field.

I dont think i've seen a better team than this ... they are terrifying in just how clinical they can be. Last year's effort was an abomination to lose to the most BORING team in the world, Chelsea. But this year i cant see anyone coming within a mile of them, in either the EPL or the Champs League.

To those that support Arsenal, then congrats ... you deserve what you'll undoubtedly get this year. :clap:. Arsene Wenger is probably the best coach/manager in the world, if not history. Just take a look at their passing game (all you doubters ... like Hybrid Tiger will undoubtedly be :lol:)

p.s. i want to lay down a lazy $100-$200 on them to win the Champs League ... what price will i get ? Anyone know ?

p.p.s teams like Arsenal make the "Beautiful Game" just that ... BEAUTIFUL !!

weasel

First Grade
I'm pretty sure they were one of the favourites if not the outright favourite at the beginning of the campaign but their odds may have lengthened a bit after their first two performances... well, I just googled it, and according to sportingbet australia they're still favourites at 6.50. European football is their achilles' heel at the moment so I don't know if that's the best bet. I'm watching a highly skilled Barcelona side on ESPN at the moment and I like their chances too, but we'll see how legitimate a threat they are when they meet AC Milan this week.

The thing Wenger does best is buy good players cheap (with the exception of Reyes who is worth every pound they dished out for him anyway). Chance to make it fifty next week and they can knock Manchester United out of the title race for good in the process. United's new fab four will probably create more selection headaches than goals initially, I'm certainly not touching any of their strikers in fantasy football for the time being; I'd back Arsenal's marvellous midfield to outshine them any day.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
They can play top football in the EPL, but they have never shown that they can do the same in Europe on a consistent basis.

In other words, don't waste your money. I'd be putting some big dollars on Juventus or Barca.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I wouldn't touch Arsenal with a 10 foot pole when it comes to European football. They are fantastic when it comes to outperforming lower teams (like what all but Man Utd and Chelsea are in the EPL), but when they come up against the likes of Milan and Juve they simply can't handle the change in pace.

Nugby

Juniors
Yeah, OVP save you money for the national comp, which Arsenal'll wrap up. They are gonig to choke in the Champions laegue like they always do. A 1-1 draw with Rosenborg was disgraceful, and Rosenborg is a third rate team as far as I'm concerned.

El Coconuto

Bench
Arsenal are great to watch, but in terms of their odds at winning the Champions League, I'd say are a bit more stretched then the Premier League.

Ando67

Juniors
Arsenal will improve with each game untill they win the Champions league again and again and again :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
That's why they didn't even win this morning. :roll:

They won't win the CL.

They wouldn't even come close to the likes of Milan, Juventus and Barca.

Craig

Juniors
If Real Madrid get the act together and play to their full potential, they would be in a shout.

Monaco will make the final 16, may make the quarter finals, but only that far IMO, however, Cheventon, Kallon, and Saviola look like fine signings to me. Porto are gone, Chelsea are on form, Man Utd need to sort their goal keeping problem out before I think they will win, and they won't get Schwarzer in the January transfer window as he will be European Cup tied if they are still involved, and they are supposed to not have any money for signings.

Valencia after taking a hammering this morning to Inter have left their hopes in doubt and may have to settle for the UEFA Cup. Werder Bremen are in second spot in their group and if they make it through, I doubt they will last. Inter Milan? Anything is possible, but maybe this is the year, but as an Inter supporter I have some butterflys in my stomach. But if Adriano and Stankovic stay fit, then anything is possible under the guidence of Mancini.

Porto are gone, Liverpool are too inconsistent.

The rest I will do later.

Eddie.

Bench
'boring Chelsea" undefeated with 8 goals ans cruising in Europe, whilst Arsenel are on 5 points with only 1 win.

Keep your money in your pocket.

Tommy Smith

Referee
hybrid_tiger said:
That's why they didn't even win this morning. :roll:

They won't win the CL.

They wouldn't even come close to the likes of Milan, Juventus and Barca.
Agree and disagree. Arsenal and Henry are duds when it come to big-time European football (in the case of henry, not just the Champs league but the Euros AND World Cup as well - most overhyped player ever). However that hasnt stopped them in the past putting quite a few goals past Roma and Inter.

They wont win the Champs League, but on their day they can towel the Italian teams.

Just back on Henry, does anyone else when watching the EPL find it extremely annoying to hear the commentator have orgasms over Henry after every goal he scores against the might of such teams as Portsmouth, Norwich, Southampton etc?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Inter and Roma weren't exactly the best of Italian teams when Arsenal beat them. Inter beat them 3-0 last season also.

Arsenal wouldn't even get close to the likes of Milan and Juventus.

They won't win the CL and they won't even get close.

And you're right on Henry. The guy chokes in big games and always scores against sh1t teams. I'd like to put a wager on him not scoring this week vs Man U. He is far from the best player in the world and he is definately not world class.

weasel

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
And you're right on Henry. The guy chokes in big games and always scores against sh1t teams. I'd like to put a wager on him not scoring this week vs Man U. He is far from the best player in the world and he is definately not world class.

From bbc.com:

"Arsenal's last 12 League and Cup fixtures against United have produced eight goals from HENRY, who has bagged seven Premiership goals against them. "

"Ruud VAN NISTELROOY has only scored one Premiership goal against Arsenal."

DJDL

Bench

Why is his impact on a match only measured in how many he scores?
He may be well marked against the better teams, but when he is not scoring he is creating for others.

There are not too many other strikers in the Premiership who can boast of the same.

I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

weasel

First Grade
Henry is involved in pretty much every goal that Arsenal scores. He gets as many assists as goals. No other player in the Premiership has come close to matching his level of dominance in the past three years. If he's as bad as some of you believe then every other footballer in England is no better than a sunday league amateur.

Anonymous

Juniors
lol. Henry has already won a World Cup (ok, admittedly he didn't play in the final), and a European Championship where he had a very good tournament and was Man of the Match in the final. He has dominated English football for the past 4 or 5 seasons, and has a good goal-scoring record in the Champions League as well, not as good as he has in the premiership, but hardly embarrassing. Anyway, since when did you rate a players (or teams) abilities by only focusing on the tiny minority of games that he fails to perform well in? If Arsenal are no good cos they can't win the Champions League, then how bad is a team that wins the CL but fails to win its domestic league? If scoring goals in CL games is proof of ability, how sh*t must all the players be who can't even score regularly in the EPL?

Anonymous

Juniors
Were there no big games in Arsenal's runs to the Premiership in 2001/02 or 2003/04? Henry didn't score any important goals? In truth, he has been at the forefront of pretty much every notable Arsenal victory in recent years, and it shows how highly you haters actually rate him, that you heap blame on him whenever Arsenal lose.

Parra_Eels

Bench
lee hendrie shouldnt have celebrated like we's won the game. but we should account for fulham last seasons corresponding game was one of our best