What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are Saints Chances Of Keeping Barrett after 2004

Acka

Coach
Hi All,
I guess most of you have heard the rumours that Saints might struggle to keep Trent Barrett after the end of next season. I have a really bad feeling that this could be one of those rare rumours in Rugby League that might be true and if it is what options will Saints have in 5/8 position and will they be any good.

dimitri

First Grade
anthony mundine hasnt got a club at the moment

either does ben kusto

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Probably about 50/50 - it depends on how much Easts offer, I guess.

I really coouldn't care less. it's not like he really ever plays for Saints anyway. More like a $500,000 passenger...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
The chances on keeping baz for 2004 and beyond will depend on how we go in 2004. But if he goes to easts the Dragon Army will give it to him something shocking. And dont forget if he does leave Timmo can play 5/8.

Simo

First Grade
Dragon Fanatic said:
The chances on keeping baz for 2004 and beyond will depend on how we go in 2004. But if he goes to easts the Dragon Army will give it to him something shocking. And dont forget if he does leave Timmo can play 5/8.

But can Timmos knees hold up for very long? He could be a short term solution but not long term.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
Dragon Fanatic said:
The chances on keeping baz for 2004 and beyond will depend on how we go in 2004.

Don't think so... his future will be decided before Christmas.

Dragon Fanatic said:
But if he goes to easts the Dragon Army will give it to him something shocking.

Wow, that'll be a change... half the army already give it to him! :x

Dragon Fanatic said:
And dont forget if he does leave Timmo can play 5/8.

Timmo in 2005 won't be what we need at 5/8th - he'll have dropped another notch in speed and will most likely be a second-rower by then.

8)

The Colonel

Immortal
I would have thought the club would be chasing Hooper to return as 5/8 if Barrett does go. Probably the best player you guys have lost in the last few years.

IMO, i don't think losing barrett will be the worst thing to happen to you guys, he costs too much, gets hurt to easily and does crappy car commercials :lol:

Dragonschik

Juniors
When Barretts at his best he is our best, and even though you giys think he doesn't mean much to saints.....he does. I would be very shocked if he went to rorters, but then again we know we can cope without trent. But if you wanto win a premiership you have to have a real star player and he is sainst star player for now, and can you imagine firman and barret in the halves...just fantastic. I hope he stays and doens't go with the roosters for any amount of money.

alive103

Juniors
Buzz Boy said:
Dragon Fanatic said:

Dragon Fanatic said:

[ 8)

With good reason, he cops it from us. Trent hasn't done two good things for our club since 2000. His one good thing was a semi final win in 2001 but apart from that, his best performances have been in different colours.

He is our highest paid player but a lot of people think he should be criticism-proof. If he signs with the Roosters, it is up there with Tallis' judas act of 1997. It will be a real test of the man's character and if he signs with Easts, he will never hear the end of it. I want this matter resolved before Christmas. If it drags on, it will ruin 2004 for the club in my opinion.

Collateral

Coach
I dont think the Roosters would of signed Dorn if Barrett was already a Roosters.
I think they signed him as a "incase barrett doesnt sign".

I am SO glad we didnt get Finch. he has the worst kicking game I have ever seen.....even worse than the New Parramatta recruit Thorman.

I bet the Roosters wished they had of kept Joe Williams now or been able to Sign Firman when they gave an offer to him.

If Barrett leaves he is going for the money, and frankly if thats the case, he should be kicked out of the leagues club because I wouldnt want him there.

Anyone with a brain knows how close we are to a premiership next season and the season after with the squad we have. So I dont think Barrett will be going to "win" a premiership with the rorters.

My opinion...Barrett to re-sign...but maybe not for life just yet.

Anonymous

Juniors
Barrett's salary is well documented. I hate speculating about these things but the fact is, there are not many clubs willing to take him on for that sort of money... it would be like sending up a flare to the cap auditors and arm chair experts.

It looks more like the delay is being caused by Saints trying to negotiate a better deal. But this is anyone's guess.

Petebix

Juniors
alive103 said:
Buzz Boy said:
Dragon Fanatic said:

Dragon Fanatic said:

[ 8)

With good reason, he cops it from us. Trent hasn't done two good things for our club since 2000. His one good thing was a semi final win in 2001 but apart from that, his best performances have been in different colours.

He is our highest paid player but a lot of people think he should be criticism-proof. If he signs with the Roosters, it is up there with Tallis' judas act of 1997. It will be a real test of the man's character and if he signs with Easts, he will never hear the end of it. I want this matter resolved before Christmas. If it drags on, it will ruin 2004 for the club in my opinion.
Keep in mind barrett hasn't had a decent halfback outside him since about 1996. It's no coincidence that he always performs in rep games. Provided he can stay fit 2004 will be Barrett's best and most consistent season EVER.

Oh and there's absolutely 0% chance that he'll be anywhere but the saints after 2004 :)

Alan Shore

First Grade
Don't pay him any more than $300k max. Otherwise he can go and watse some Goosters with their 'creativity'. It'd be the best thing to happen to you.

Juniors
Is it actually confirmed that Fittler will be hanging up his boots at the end of 2004? What if he decides to play another season? If so, then Baz won't have a real go there...

Acka

Coach
All I have to say is if Barrett does join the Roosters he will not win a premiership but be part of a premiership winning side.

Also a note you hear of Steve Waugh talking abot the baggy green cap as a special power. Well he was there during the bad days of the mid 1980's and he didn't turn his back on the cap, In my opinion the mighty Red V of St George is rugby Leagues version of the baggy green and if Barrett were to turn his back on it, a lot of people would think he is a coward.