What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do they base S.O.O selections on?

SP

Bench
I have been wondering this for years

what are players based on for SOO?

i have always thought it was based on where they were born

then i heard its based on where they played thier 1st game of junior footy

DrewBeliever

Juniors
I think it's where they played there first game of footy, but if the state they played in haven't chosen them, the side they were born in, can still come in to pick them as they were born there.

SP

Bench
so if i ever become good enough to play nrl footy and get origin selection, that means i would have to be a Qld'er :shock: =;

i'll just make myself available for England or Wales in that case :lol:

pommie_raider

Juniors
Well, it all depends if you play for the Panthers, because if you did and NSW got in there before QLD, then you wouldn't have to be a Maroons player.

And bah, no Penrith supporters aloud to play for my beloved England and Britain. :mrgreen:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its which state you play your first rep football game in I think.

Tim Brasher was born and played in Qld yet was a NSW player.

Matt23

Staff member
Tim Brasher would have played his first senior footy out at John Paul II, debuted for Balmain age 16 or 17 did'nt he?

Poida_Raider

Bench
hey losers.. its clear that noone here has a bloody clue!! yet they believe that they do.

i'm not claiming to have any idea cause clearly i dont..
but i heard that they are eligable for the state in which they play there first game of junior football at the age of 16 or over. and then if they arent picked maybe then they can play for where they were born.

i'm pretty sure the rogers father and son team were like this.
steve was born in qld, but played for nsw. and matt was born in nsw, and played for qld.

actually for all i know i'm making that up, i think i heard it somewhere, but i cant really remember. oh well.

Matt23

Staff member
Apparently Mat Rogers qualified as a Queenslander because he played a couple of games for Southport high as a 16 or 17 year old

brook

First Grade
madunit said:
Its which state you play your first rep football game in I think.

Tim Brasher was born and played in Qld yet was a NSW player.

WTF?

Brash was a burwood united junior who played high school footy for john paul 2 out penrith way.

I'm pretty sure its where you play your first grade game (not your first first-grade game).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Firstly Poida, this is a discussion, don't call people losers because they dont know the answer to a question you don't know the answer to either. It's not like you to do that either buddy. ;-)

Secondly, I was always of the assumption that it was first rep match, but if its 16 years plus then you may very well be right Matt.

Alan Shore

First Grade
I've been wondering that. I played my first footy game in Melbourne, but was born in Sydney and feel no affinity with Victoria whatsoever. Do I qualify for NSW selection?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it was your first representation of your state, regardless of age.

brook

First Grade
madunit said:
I'm pretty sure it was your first representation of your state, regardless of age.

nah thats not it

for example - Ryan Hoffman played for queensland in one of the junior rep curtin raisers last year - thats because those games are based on residence
However if he ever played SOO he would play for NSW - because his first graded game (junior reps - harold matthews, sg ball etc) was for the western suburbs magpies in NSW

magpiemax

Juniors
Lewis said:
I have been wondering this for years

what are players based on for SOO?

i have always thought it was based on where they were born

then i heard its based on where they played thier 1st game of junior footy
Think it largely depends on who's the coach.For example if you are a director on the Roosters board like Phil Gould is. Then you can pluck people out of retirement without even consulting with the chairman like Nick Politis.