What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do to snap out of a mood/motivate yourself?

Fire

First Grade
A real good old-timer once told me "Just turn up and train. No matter what, just turn up each day and train."

So I try to do that each day. Whether it's gym or a run/roadwork.

But, sometimes I'll be in a shitty mood (for whatever reason, we all get moody) and this f**ks with my motivation. And, I hate just "going through the motions" in a work out.

So my question is - how do you snap yourself out of a mood, or motivate yourself to turn up and train when you don't feel like it?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I make a poster that has my goals written on them, they're written in the first person and in the presents. I make sure to read them as soon as I wake up every morning.

I also make myself daily affirmation cards, don't care if people think I'm gay or lame for it. It works for me.

Cliffhanger

Coach
A real good old-timer once told me "Just turn up and train. No matter what, just turn up each day and train."

So I try to do that each day. Whether it's gym or a run/roadwork.

But, sometimes I'll be in a shitty mood (for whatever reason, we all get moody) and this f**ks with my motivation. And, I hate just "going through the motions" in a work out.

So my question is - how do you snap yourself out of a mood, or motivate yourself to turn up and train when you don't feel like it?

Honestly I think forcing yourself to go when you're not in the right head space just doesn't work. You end up having a shit session and associating working out with being miserable. It slowly ruins your mentality and motivation.

When you're not feeling the work out find a physical activity you feel like doing and do it. Go for a walk, play a soccer game, ride a bike, shoot some hoop, just do something physical you are in the mood for.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Have you tried just having a lay down or meditate to reset yourself? I like laying down for 30mins sometimes just to let that feeling pass.

Fordy20

Juniors
When you feel like giving training a miss, think about the good feeling you'll get from doing the training and the good feeling you'll get from keeping that commitment. Think how bad you'll feel when you lose a little bit of self respect for breaking that commitment to training and how flat you'll feel if you don't exercise.

Once you've crystallised in you mind the good consequences of going to training and the bad consequences of not going, think of a simple action you can take now to get you on your way to training, like finding your joggers and putting them on, something simple that you can build upon until you're out the door and on your way.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Stay home and drink a few beers, eat some ice cream. Training can wait til tomorrow, or maybe the day after.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I don't think you should think about the bad consequences of not training, you're well aware of them, or you just wouldn't go. Studies show us that this attitude will cause more harm than good. Telling yourself if you don't go to the gym you will get fat and lazy puts this idea that you have to go, and what's the first thing that comes to your mind when you're told you have to do something? Or you're not allowed to do something? Doing it or not doing it.

If you won't to motivate yourself to go to the gym, you gotta tell yourself you are going because you want to go, not because you have to. You can't think about how you shouldn't do something without thinking about actually doing it.

It's similar to why I never say "I won't fail" repeatedly when trying to psych myself up, because if I did I would have repeatedly said "fail" to myself and my subconscious is likely to cling to that. Instead I say "I will succeed" etc.

I find a change of scenery helps, I usually train at home, every now and then to mix it up I visit a commercial gym and train there for a few days, I find this helps get me back on track.

Fire

First Grade
I thought I'd get more replies to this thread.

Nonetheless, the replies have been quality over quantity. Thank you for your contributions Cliffhanger, Dogs Of War, and Fordy20. Good advice and I have taken it on board.

Danish

Referee
After 3 years of running 4-5 days per week I am still just a fat lazy slob trapped in a weedy runner's body, so I generally have to battle with myself 2-3 times per week to get out there and run.

My primary motivation are concrete goals laid out in the form of regular races that I enter to ensure I keep on track. I'll have a goal time for an upcoming race and a bunch of mini goals associated with achieving that goal time set out for each week leading into it.

My next form of motivation is the stress relief factor. The time spent running and the 20 minutes or so afterward are my most relaxed and mentally clear portions of the day so for the most part I've trained myself to look forward to it.

If that isn't working my next move is to go the old hard-nosed coach routine, calling myself a f**king pussy and to just get the f**k out there (I literally say this out loud... thankfully I'm usually alone when doing this).

I also have a horrendous picture of me as a fat dude juxtaposed with a photo of me taken just after finishing the Canberra marathon that I keep on my phone as a nice reminder of why I need to run.

Lastly, I remind myself that if I get home and I'm not soaked with stinky sweat then my wife is going to ask why I didn't go for my run :lol:

Fire

First Grade
My next form of motivation is the stress relief factor. The time spent running and the 20 minutes or so afterward are my most relaxed and mentally clear portions of the day so for the most part I've trained myself to look forward to it.

This is true for me also.

Running is one of the favourite parts of my fitness regime.

I love breaking a mad sweat also, it feels like I'm getting rid of the bad shit in my body. The same good old-timer I mentioned in my OP used to recommend I coat myself with make-up remover (I can't think of the name). It blocks the pores, but once your body temp reaches a threshold, you just burst out in sweat - probably not good from a scientific/health point of view, but I still do it sometimes.

Aragorn

First Grade
i try to have lots and lots of sex. with myself if needed. excuse me while i take a toliet break.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I make a poster that has my goals written on them, they're written in the first person and in the presents. I make sure to read them as soon as I wake up every morning.

I also make myself daily affirmation cards, don't care if people think I'm gay or lame for it. It works for me.

lol, gay.

Utey

Coach
I too hate going through the motions and am in a bit of a rut as a result. A bit of spark by changing it up works for me. Some good responses here though, except for the affirmation cards, super gay.

aqua_duck

Coach
I train with 2 other mates and if I'm not feeling that up to it on a certain day then they'll take the lead and the inner competitor in me just naturally tries to keep up

Thomas

First Grade
I look at the pictures of my two young boys and then look in the mirror. That generally does the trick.

I was feeling blergh a few weeks ago so I decided to take a week off last week. It certainly did help and now I'm back feeling very motivated.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Here's a good motivational saying thats simple to attach yourself too.

"Don't let your negative thoughts get in the way of your goals"

I dunno why but gets me to the gym on time.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I do bodyweight exercises in the morning, & the protein shake & two eggs are my breakfast.

If I don't do my exercises, I don't get breakfast.

Latest posts