What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if we ran at holes?

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I am not a rugby league coach. But I just have a novel thought that perhaps no other coach in the history of the game has had. What if our ball runners ran at holes/spaces instead of opposition players? Just saying!

For all of Tyson Frizell's energy and determination; imagine if he ran on the outside shoulder of the opposition defender and targeted space instead of contact?

No I must be mad or dreaming. Our coaches who are collectively on about $1M a season would know more than me. Surely? I mean why would you target space when you can run into another human being 10 meters in front of you.

I need to lie down and have another bourbon! What a ridiculous idea. Sorry for wasting all of your time!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we should walk before we run.

f83HuUjLTceXreQQmG49_Sewer%20Skip%20Old%20Man%20Hole%20Fall.gif

Brutalitops

Juniors
Very strange observation, not only because we did run at but also that great defence will plug a hole before you can run through it, as NZ repeatedly did

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth are you alluding to the Morris boys? Of course you are. It's not like you to have a dig. I still wish they were with us. Must be a hedonist obviously Xx

I can assure you buddy that I possess no guile or cunning in my persona , however I do see what you mean . In fact if you look close enough and long enough you will see an entire family of clones going into the void , either clones or perhaps aliens or worse still more bluudy Kiwis ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
The Warriors closed any gaps with good line speed and pressure and we just couldn't adjust. Now every team is going to do this and we'll see how well we can adapt.

I might start a thread...What if we supported the ball carrier?

It would make more sense. We have a habit of not doing that and it makes us more predictable as a result.

giboz71

First Grade
Sometimes you just have to tip your hat at the defence.

They had intensity and line speed the whole game. Agree we could have thrown more at them, but we maintained pressure and kept possession with minimal errors. They just repelled us every time. They are a fit team.

Credit to them and I don’t have too much of a problem losing to one of the 2 form teams in the comp where we were far from disgraced.

redVinme

Bench
love friz, but has always been a gripe of mine. If he ran lines like gavin cooper he'd score more time than not. He runs as if he is more suited to the middle considering its where he usually ends up. Will never challenge his effort but i was hoping hunt might have him running through the line a little smarter

kit66

Bench
Forwards come in all varieties. Some with smarts that can pass, step, run angles and even kick others just run hard and hit hard. We're blessed with a couple of each. JDB, Graham and Sims are the former and Friz and Vaughan are more the latter which I don't see as a weakness nor has it been so far in 2018. Friz though can run a good line at times if our halves give him some direction. I'd love to see him develop a nice step and a pass but apart from that I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Also, we're a mile in front in points scored this year so obviously we occasionally find the holes.

Uplifting

Juniors
On Friz, I tend to agree. He is awesome but I believe he has talent beyond his incredible type of running game. I put it down to him being at the club during a period where the pack over all lacked go-forward, so, the staff/team could not afford to develop him in other areas.

At the moment he comes in at the end of a short play, but maybe with a bit of finesse (and rehearsal) during his advances a second phase play can be made. Try time!

Latest posts