What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What motivates you?

Cliffhanger

Coach
We all know that motivation is extremely important for training and working out.

Anyway the sports psych student, has me taking more of an interest in other people's motivation.

For me personally, my greatest motivation is being stronger, fitter, and faster than I was yesterday. That way there is no limit.

That said there is a part of me which likes being better than others at things as well and generally being seen as a machine.

aqua_duck

Coach
I like being able to take my shirt off and not be ashamed and embarrassed. Beyond that I want to be the best athlete I can be and be and just try to keep a good standard of health. I'm in my mid 20's and alot of blokes by their 30's have let themselves go and have become fat farkers, I promised myself a long time ago I'd never let myself get to that

Danish

Referee
My initial motivation was to lose weight.

Once I did that, it became getting as fit as I was in year 12 (my previous peak).

Now that I've surpassed that and am in new territory, I find myself wondering about what my limit might be and ways in which I can push myself to it.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
My sources of motivation have gradually changed. Playing footy for keebra park and being part of their rugby league program that was heavily shaped around strength and conditioning made the gym and training a part of life after finished and started uni. Gym was always a refuge for me and was an hour or so where the world outside those walls didn't exist and was a good way to get the day out of my system. That and trying to mprove my physique to be more attractive to the opposite sex. Ontop of that being my size has been something that has always stood me out n a crowd and help draw attention my way (some of it bad) and wouldn't know where i would be without it.

Recently though my motivation to get back into somewhere near the shape i was in when i was competing in MMA is the ceiling of the Ingham medical centre. Already posted in this forum before about my heart failure and the only reason it didn't kill me is the fact that i've been an athlete for the majority of my life and an average person wouldn't have woken back up. Laying in a bed in the sad attempt for a hospital in Ingham scared out of my brains and staring a the ceiling for a few hours before being told they don't know what is wrong with me stll gives me shivers when i think about it and is more then enough motivation to keep the training up.

Thomas

First Grade
I realised, shortly after the birth of my first son, that I had let myself go. I'd gone from a pretty serious athlete to an unfit dugong in a few years. Also, heart disease and high blood pressure runs in my family. When I die of a sudden heart attack, I want to leave a decent looking corpse and one that doesn't need to be picked up with a crane.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Lots of things really

Wanting to be a good roll model to my kids would have to be top of my list but I also dont want to be found wanting if a situation came up that required me to lift something heavy, run a distance or get past an obstacle in an emergency. I shudder to think of how Id feel if I couldnt do any of these things and it ended in disaster for one of my friends or family.

Looking good and feeling healthy are nice side effects though

_snafu_

Immortal
I like being able to take my shirt off and not be ashamed and embarrassed. Beyond that I want to be the best athlete I can be and be and just try to keep a good standard of health. I'm in my mid 20's and alot of blokes by their 30's have let themselves go and have become fat farkers, I promised myself a long time ago I'd never let myself get to that

LOL

I was one of those people who let themselves go in their 30s. I blamed it on being time poor (working and doing postgrad study). I never got to be obese (just soft), but the one thing I noticed was that I was run down and tired all the time.

A few months before I turned 40, I said to myself "you are a disgrace" and started smashing it at the gym and running regularly. Now I look better and I am fitter than most of the professionals that I work with that are in their late 20s or 30s!

Fire

First Grade
Having always trained for boxing (and now being an ex-boxer), in my younger years it was to be in peak condition (plus the body that came with that at that age and point in your life). As I've grown older I just want to be in above reasonable shape so I can be active with my kids and grandkids. I don't want to be one of those guys who can't run around because he hit the beer and pies too much once his 20s were over.

I'm also a big believer in being able to walk the walk, and training a lot of young kids and doing work in the community, I like to be able to go on the long runs of a morning (sometimes) to spur them on.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mostly for footy, also just enjoy taking care of myself, looking decent, being better at something, and improving on myself.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not dying the way my father did. He was 73 and succumbed to complications from type 2 diabetes- he was overweight, and had a bad heart, drank and smoked almost his entire life and ate shitty food. It's a miracle he lived as long as he did- I figure if I can keep my weight in the healthy range (which for me is pretty much staying under about 95kg) I should get a good long innings!

GuardDog

Juniors
I'm 40 and my son is only 2 y.o.,its good to be in shape in my job,I enjoy the compliments when I tell ppl I just met my age and I believe keeping in shape promotes good quality of life as I get older.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I enjoy the compliments when I tell ppl I just met my age and I believe keeping in shape promotes good quality of life as I get older.

Ha, I got that on the weekend too, was yarning to someone at the pub who said he'd be pretty happy if he was in my shape when he was over 30 (I'm 37), I was pretty chuffed with that!