What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What must Australia do to catch up with NZ and England?

screeny

Bench
Following the slaughter tonight, I am wondering what everyone thinks needs to be done to the Australian game in order for them to catch up to the best two teams in the world, NZ and England?

Clearly England should be rated above Australia as in the matches that meant something involving these nations England came out on top. We lost by only 10 points to NZ, compared to Australia's feeble 14 point capitulation and embarrassing, inept display.

First of all I think Australia needs to resist temptation to go its own way too much in the NRL as the gap will only get wider and wider and then you'll never win another series.

Secondly, neutral refs. Unless the ARL can take the Roos off their home ref life support system they'll never be able to close the gap, as we all know what will happen when refs are non-Australian.

Any other suggestions?

pcpp

Juniors
I was full of optimism for England at the start of this World Cup. I was tipping the English - and not the Kiwis - to be the real contenders in the RLWC. Unfortunately, I was proven wrong.

Here's the cold hard truth: England suck. They lost 52-4 to Australia.

They lost to the Kiwis. Twice. They lost from being 16 points in front at half time.

England/GB are a long, long way behind as of this World Cup and their results in the 2005, 2006 and 2008 international competitions have proven it - they're dead last compared to Australia and NZ. Complaining about refs can only go so far.

Smug attitudes like this will only hit harder the next time England get beaten by both Australia and NZ.

The Kiwis victory in the final may of been the greatest moment in English sporting history but there will need to be a big rethink if England are to challenge in the near future.

Last edited:

screeny

Bench
Lads, I understand you're bitter and a bit shocked, but this is a serious thread that is meant to benefit the Australian game for the good of int'l RL, otherwise you'll fall further and further behind.

Face facts, the pool games were largely shadow-boxing and Australia punched themselves out in nothing victories. Also, they could only beat England with the help of an Aussie ref (which I allude to in my opening post).

In matches that counted England proved in their performance v NZ that they are more of a threat than Australia, who struggled tonight.

I've already come up with two suggestions, in my opening gambit. To add to them, how about we send some Australian players for a season in the NZ league and SL, and to improve the standard of your referees send them to the AMNRL and the French Elite Championship (or Federale league for a season - we don't want to run before we can walk)?

Lads, I understand you're bitter and a bit shocked, but this is a serious thread that is meant to benefit the Australian game for the good of int'l RL, otherwise you'll fall further and further behind.

Face facts, the pool games were largely shadow-boxing and Australia punched themselves out in nothing victories. Also, they could only beat England with the help of an Aussie ref (which I allude to in my opening post).

In matches that counted England proved in their performance v NZ that they are more of a threat than Australia, who struggled tonight.

I've already come up with two suggestions, in my opening gambit. To add to them, how about we send some Australian players for a season in the NZ league and SL, and to improve the standard of your referees send them to the AMNRL and the French Elite Championship (or Federale league for a season - we don't want to run before we can walk)?
Get a grip, we are miles behind NZ and the Aussies, NZ were much better in the final than they were against England. England would have lost by at least 20 against either NZ or Australia.
I know all non-aussies are pleased Australia lost but lets not forget England were crap and have lots of work to do.

pcpp

Juniors
How can Australia and NZ get to the standard of the Super League?

Simple solution. Import more England players to the NRL.

Enjoy what must surely be the greatest sporting moment in English/British history.

downo14

Juniors
I think England need to learn how to turn the taps on in the shower before theyvstart thinking of Rugby league dominace, & The kiwis need to learn how to win two in a row, i reckon both have buckleys, at the end of the day you are both sh*te, good luck pretenders

Nz

Juniors
How can Australia and NZ get to the standard of the Super League?

Simple solution. Import more England players to the NRL.

Is this a Joke?

Superleague is the sh*ttest f*cking game alive.

deluded pom?

Coach
I think England need to learn how to turn the taps on in the shower before theyvstart thinking of Rugby league dominace, & The kiwis need to learn how to win two in a row, i reckon both have buckleys, at the end of the day you are both sh*te, good luck pretenders

Why do they need to win two in a row? They beat Australia with the one win when it mattered the most. The same in 2005 in the TN.

Last edited:

bobbis

Juniors
Maybe Australia should just quit international rugby league, 34-20 today by next year we could be losing 52-4.

screeny

Bench
Maybe Australia should just quit international rugby league, 34-20 today by next year we could be losing 52-4.
Exactly. Well said, bobbis, an Australian who can empathise with the fear I sense for Australia's national team.

The shame suffered today, by a country with 400,000 registered players against one with 20,000, is only going to be magnified following another capitulation in the QNs.

What price a France win unless Australia get an Aussie ref?

First things first, how can Australia get to within 10 points of the world number one, thereby putting themselves on a par with England?

the Lock8

Juniors
Screeny, you should really stick to your day job. Comedy is definitely not your forte, and make sure you have both hands on the keyboard and not one on your crotch.

Leave their egos and the door and play as a team...get rid of Thurston and stop relying on Lockyer to dig them out of holes.

Inglis needs his A%s kicked...MIA once again.

Fitzgibbon is too slow and old now...

Watmough...once again failed to shine in a match with intensity and speed.

elbusto

Coach
Exactly. Well said, bobbis, an Australian who can empathise with the fear I sense for Australia's national team.

The shame suffered today, by a country with 400,000 registered players against one with 20,000, is only going to be magnified following another capitulation in the QNs.

What price a France win unless Australia get an Aussie ref?

First things first, how can Australia get to within 10 points of the world number one, thereby putting themselves on a par with England?
I enjoyed the Kiwi win. Great for the game. But sorry mate. Its a bit sad you laughing at us when your Team was so pathetic this tournament. The Poms were embarrassing. Its a bit sad that you have to rely on another country winning the World Cup to sneer at us when your Team was so bloody dreadful.

You may think its funny. But it comes across as pretty pathetic and rather desparate.:roll:

screeny

Bench
They need to invest more in jnr's and stop buying Kiwis!

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. In addition, they could try and make a big play to get current NZ players who are playing in the NRL to switch nations, thereby giving Australia a champion team.

If they adopt those changes they might be able to stand toe to toe with England (with a neutral ref).

It's a bit of a worry though.

elbusto

Coach
Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. In addition, they could try and make a big play to get current NZ players who are playing in the NRL to switch nations, thereby giving Australia a champion team.

If they adopt those changes they might be able to stand toe to toe with England (with a neutral ref).

It's a bit of a worry though.
If you truly believe any of this rubbish then you are deluded. In case you hadn't noticed ESL buys up all of the dried up NRL players who then become 'stars' again in England for another decade. The ESL is now officially a joke. The English Rugby League Team returned home an embarrassment - read the articles in England mate - its all red faces and shame.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

elbusto

Coach
If you truly believe any of this rubbish then you are deluded. In case you hadn't noticed ESL buys up all of the dried up NRL players who then become 'stars' again in England for another decade. The ESL is now officially a joke. The English Rugby League Team returned home an embarrassment - read the articles in England mate - its all red faces and shame.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
What Sceeny's irrational rants demonstrate is just how pathetic England truly were and just how much pain he felt as a consequence - and that is good:lol:

Latest posts