What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is it too hot to play?

In extreme heat, should games be delayed until after sunset?

• Yes

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

hrundi99

First Grade
Kato Ottio? Yes that's the worst example, but the one which set the stage was back in 1990. Danny Shepherd was a prop with the Roosters. He collapsed with heat stroke during a game on the Gold Coast and spent 10 days in a coma. He made a full recovery but never played league again. As such it is not as if this issue is a "recent" one.

The problem is (last time I saw it) the NRL's heat policy with a drinks break every 20 minutes only happens if both club's Doctors agree. AS such, I wonder which Doctor did not want them as it is silly to think they were not needed. I mean for junior league competitions, this is what the ARLC policy regarding extreme heat -

https://playnrl.com/media/1936/heat-guidelines_with-changes1.pdf

Makes for interesting reading.

Firstly, Brookvale Oval is not near Observatory Hill, which is where temperature readings for Sydney are taken. Also, you are aware that temperatures are often measured in the shade? (Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...treme-heat-isnt-as-simple-as-it-seems/9325132)

It was reported they measured the temperature in the middle of Brookvale Oval on Sunday and by kick-off it was measured at 40 degrees celsius. As such it is not great weather to play league in. That said it is negligent of the club medicos and the NRL to not have had water breaks at 20 minutes into each half. If a player goes down with heat stroke in a game with no water breaks, the NRL and the clubs leave themselves open to a very big law suit from the effected player.

My car said 40 degrees at Brookvale.

First Grade
Everyone saying there was a risk of heat stroke are a little off the mark, before heat stroke you get heat exhaustion which if not treated can develop to heat stroke. A symptom of heat stroke is loss or change of conciousness. basically we were taught in the army to watch our guys (when we were patrolling with our houses on our backs climbing mountains in 45 degree heat with long sleeve uniforms woollen socks and leather boots) the most obvious onset of heat stroke is when your mate stops sweating, thats's when he is going down.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Isn't Observatory hill in the Rocks? Fair distance from Manly. Probably the same conditions regardless.

Given the conditions on the day (NW wind blowing from inland that kept the sea breezes away) temperatures would’ve been pretty much identical right across Sydney. I was working at Port Botany at the time and it was 39-40 there.