What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When We Were Kings

Dragonwest

Juniors
I just sat down on the couch this afternoon and was lucky enough to watch 'When We Were Kings' and was filled with passion from one of the greatest sporting moments of all time. What a battle of two champions.

Ali had a plan going into that great fight, he was clever. His decision to lead with his right was genius and could have very well won him the fight. But it didn’t, Foreman was a machine and by the end of the first round all it had down was create doubt in Ali's mind. And as Ali stood there after the first the man looked scared. Maybe he was scared that he was about to be severely punished and destroyed by Foreman. Or even worse, maybe he was scared thinking that as great as he was he physically had no way of stopping it.

Right there and then Ali could have submitted and given up o so easily. But instead the great champion decided to take guard, bring it in tight; he sat on those ropes and took everything! The best that Foreman had to give. He fuelled the fire, feed the monster, let Foreman use all his strengths. And as he took one hell of a beating he baited Foreman with an endless barrage of words. And in the end, after taking that beating he wore Foreman down, both physically and mentally. His courage above everything else allowed him to strike back. And Ali struck back perfectly, clutching victory from the hands of defeat like so many greats do. My words can’t describe what I watched and i am sure that if you have seen the documentary yourself you know that passion it stirs.

And after would, as I sat there inspired, all I could think about was the boys, The Saints.

Next Sunday I want the team to come out and for them to play the roper dope. The dogs like it tough, they love hurting teams and they are the best at grinding out wins. GIVE THEM THAT. Scrap with them, fire them up, talk trash, and get them hot under the collar. Stand firm; take that beating that they will give out and give your best to keep the game close. And when they tire, as they will! Just like they did 4 weeks ago, be ready to strike! The Dogs are human, next week means a lot, 2006 is far from over and I don’t see anybody holding the trophy just quite yet. Find that spark boys this w.e and it can all be turned around. It’s a lot to ask of the boys to stand up to the Dogs and really I have no right to ask what I could not do myself. But boys don’t do it for me, don’t do it for any other fan, and in fact don’t do it for anyone else for that matter, DO IT FOR YOURSELVES and the men standing next to you on that field wearing the BIG RED V! Start the march boys and silence the knockers! The last four weeks can be forgotten so very easily. A premiership is still up for offers and you are still in the fight. And everyone else chins up and let’s support the boys!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragonwest

Juniors
and if that does nothing for you, go watch the Doco yourself. Great stuff. I hope the team would!

The Preacher

First Grade
Top stuff DW, well said. If that's the attitude they take next Sunday they are going to be very hard to toss. :clap:

Latest posts