What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to for New Zealand?

shiznit

Coach
He's been getting smacked in the head long before the Brett Lee saga. And other players still play the short ball comfortably unlike Papps.

he scored 1000 runs in a single season.. averaged 91.... thats hardly enough reason to treat him as poorly as they did.

Mathew Bell's been given chances with technical problems 100 times worse than Papps.

and we cant forget Sinclair and his footwork or should i say lack of...

Meth

Staff member
Papps was horrible in the tests that he played, particularly against South Africa a few years back. But at the same time, he could have been given another shot- too late now.

I remember him winning us an ODI v South Africa too a few years earlier.

blain

Juniors
what about bell and knowing where his off stump was?? i remember early this year him leaving and having his offy ripped out. and the leaves which hit his pads... it looked like he could only play the cut shot.

MKEB...

Staff member
the shortball argument is just a myth after Brett Lee hit him in the helmet a couple of seasons ago..

Was it him or Shannon Stewart that Butler Smashed with a bouncer in a state match? IIRC it was Papps

African Monkey

First Grade
That was Papps.

And with Gary Stead, I still felt that he was better than Spearman at the time and should have been given a longer go.

blain

Juniors
well guptill got his 1st first class century today, if he can keep getting runs he could be close to pushing how out by the time the indians arrive.

What about McIntosh though? He looks so bad against bouncers that it`s really just luck that`s keeping him from getting out every time he gets one.

blain

Juniors
how hasnt done much in tests for his career, averages 20. redmond averages more than that. he keeps getting out cheaply, he bairly gets starts. mcintosh has looked solid, accept for a couple of pull shots.

African Monkey

First Grade
how hasnt done much in tests for his career, averages 20. redmond averages more than that. he keeps getting out cheaply, he bairly gets starts. mcintosh has looked solid, accept for a couple of pull shots.
Is that him in your avator ?

Meth

Staff member
I have to say I like the look of McIntosh. At least he can stick around.

How can not be opening in the second test. Bring Redmond back- let's just have two genuine openers

JJ

Immortal
I have to say I like the look of McIntosh. At least he can stick around.

How can not be opening in the second test. Bring Redmond back- let's just have two genuine openers

Redmond is not a genuine opener in any way shape or form - he's a converted legspinner

Leave it as is for a few tests, we can't keep chopping and changing.. Cumming and Papps are better bets than Redmond - but I think status quo until the likes of Guptill and/or Watling have done enough to justify a place

In the not to distant future a lineup something like
McIntosh/Watling
Guptill/How
Flynn
Taylor
Williamson
Ryder
Anderson
McCullum

could be pretty exciting

African Monkey

First Grade
So will Jamie How be dropped if he doesn't get a score in the next test or is he undroppable ? Redmond was the one who should have stayed.

Meth

Staff member
Cumming scored a ton yesterday.

How has a future in the New Zealand cricket team- just not as an opener

I have no big problem with How to be honest, he usually gets out to good balls, rarely throws it away. If he`s persevered with, his luck will turn soon.

Meth

Staff member
Well, if How was dropped as an opener, I would suppose that How would compete with Flynn for 3. I guess the only problem is that we know How is not best utilized as an opener- we just don't know who could replace him and do a better job than him.

Flynn made a statement with his innings in this game- at least to say that the idea of playing him at 3 has merit. Ryder's innings too was timely. So I am reasonably warming to the idea of Flynn, Taylor and Ryder at 3, 4 and 5 for the next while. McIntosh did enough.

Batting line up for the next test-

1- McIntosh
2- ??
3- Flynn
4- Taylor
5- Ryder

I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to give How another shot.

Latest posts