What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team of salary cap "cheats" was the best?

Which team of "cheats" was the best?

• Total voters

Butters

Bench
See thread title.

Just for a bit of fun, i'm curious how all you avid rugby league experts will rank the teams which have "cheated" the salary cap over the years.

IMO the Melbourne Storm team of 2007 was the greatest team to be ever assembled and would destroy any team which has been assembled over the years within the cap or outside of it, with the Storm 06 team running a close second.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne 2007.

Canterbury were far more entertaining though, Raiders not too far behind them but the Storm were just dominate.

Matt23

Staff member
Melbourne 2007, the Bronco's circa 1998 would have them covered.

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne 2007, the Bronco's circa 1998 would have them covered.

Aye, skill-wise most definitely but there was a tinge of complancey about the 98 Broncos.

2000 Broncos would've given them a run any day of the week though...although the match would be bloody boring.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I actually think the 06 side of Melbourne was better even though they lost the Grand Final. Very clinical.

Big Pete

Referee
I actually think the 06 side of Melbourne was better even though they lost the Grand Final. Very clinical.

I rate their 07 forward pack over their 06 one. Any day of the week.

Halves were more consistent too, Hill had issues going 80 back in 06.

Backline was about on par. Missed the X-Factor of Inglis but they were more consistent.

skeepe

Immortal
Raiders' 1990 grand final team:

1. Gary Belcher
2. Paul Martin
3. Mal Meninga (c)
4. Laurie Daley
5. John Ferguson
6. Chris O'Sullivan
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Brent Todd
9. Steve Walters
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. Nigel Gaffey
12. Gary Coyne
13. Dean Lance

Reserves:
Matthew Wood
Phil Carey
Craig Bellamy
David Barnhill

And let's not forget the one and only Brad Clyde, who missed the end of the season through injury.

Funnily enough, they were not systematically cheating the cap like the other teams listed and still had a better team. Although I'd rate our 1994 cap-compliant team as better than 1990 personally.

Last edited:

westie

Bench
How were they getting themselves over the cap then? Taking into account Canberra were further over on a percentage of the full cap than Melbourne?

skeepe

Immortal
How were they getting themselves over the cap then? Taking into account Canberra were further over on a percentage of the full cap than Melbourne?

Really, really bad management.

More players made representative teams than they had budgeted for, and the bonuses for this combined with the premiership bonuses sent them over.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You've got the wrong year nominated for the Warriors, they were under the cap in 2006, the cap breaches occurred in 2005, but were only discovered in 2006 when the new management team reported them.

skeepe

Immortal
I have to say, if there's one thing we do a lot better than the AFL, it's salary cap breaches. The majority of the teams listed won the premiership, and the Bulldogs would have come close if it weren't discovered until later.

Unlike Carlton in the AFL, who breached the salary cap and STILL managed to win the wooden spoon BEFORE the cheating was discovered.

Loudstrat

Coach
Butters you dumb sh*t - forgot Canterbury of 1995?

Melbourne the best side EVER? 1983 Eels would put 50 on that lot, 63 Dragons would put 70 on them. Therefore the 90 Raiders would put 20 on them.

Doga

Juniors
I have to say, if there's one thing we do a lot better than the AFL, it's salary cap breaches. The majority of the teams listed won the premiership, and the Bulldogs would have come close if it weren't discovered until later.

Unlike Carlton in the AFL, who breached the salary cap and STILL managed to win the wooden spoon BEFORE the cheating was discovered.

Dogs were specials in 2002. 17 straight. No one could touch us on our day (except a disgruntled builder)