What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which u20s will make it?

Kells

Juniors
the u20s storm boys have been really impressive - seen a few games but not all the games yet have always been pleased with the talent we have on the park

so who do u think can make the grade into our senior squad for next season? personally i reckon the best chances are:

duffie - tall, strong, great potential winger
jerome - been solid and consistent
joe - good at making busts and his defence is improving
kelly - talented but not sure if he has the frame to play with the big boys
Browmich - big, strong potential star prop, can def make it
Makimare - works hard

and i reckon duffie or joe are the best chance to make it as they are a good chance to get the wing spot of turner when he goes

thoughts?

stormtragic

Juniors
Bromwich is a certainty he will be a star IMO
Ive always liked Joe and think he can make it
Kelly has improved too
Widdop for sure

Noa

First Grade
When looking at what players have a future with us you have to take into consideration are they going to better then the incumbent in a couple of years

Definite future with us.

Matt Duffie - Apart from being tall and having an Issy-like leap on him is also quite quick
Dane Chisholm - Silky smooth skills and very, very fast.
Billy Rogers - In the Dallas Johnson mould and we know what Bellamy thinks of DJ.

Future in the game, probably somewhere else

Fred Makimare - I like him but will he get past Sika, Fanene, Proctor, Hoffman
James Woolford - Cam Smith is here till 2012, Woolford wont hang around
Robbie Rochow - Big, tough backrower. Will stick somewhere
Gareth Widdop - fits the mould of the modern, playmaking FB.
Luke Kelly - needs to learn to keep his mouth shut
Jess Bromwich - Big, strong PF. Uses size to advantage.
Pita Maile has all the tools

Of the rest

Dont rate Sam Joe @ all
Josh Jerome may struggle @ next level
Junior Afu & Theodore Stuart still very young and will come to the fore next year.

tom180

Juniors
widdop will defintley make it to be one of the best, fullbacks or half but probaley go back to UK in the future

Mantle

Juniors
I think from the under 20’s that there are three definite players that will make it for us. Matt Duffie as wing he’s tall and has a great burst of speed. I think Chisholm will make it to the next level as well he’s a running five-eighth and when he plays wing he plays a lot like Steve Turner. I think Jesse Bromwich is one of best forward in either of the first two years of u20’s for us, I think he could do just as well as Brett White is doing now in the top grade probably better.

Others

Gareth Widdop looks a good fullback to backup Billy during SOO if Turner goes but otherwise I wonder where he will play. Luke Kelly looks like a good ball player maybe a bit little but could be a good backup. Woolford he’s just like his uncle gives few penalty a game.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
widdop will defintley make it to be one of the best, fullbacks or half but probaley go back to UK in the future
Really? His family are all here in Australia, his parents and sister moved up to Perth last year and his dad has a great job so I can't see him moving back to the UK.

I would like to see him stay here in Melbourne, he plays stand off and half as well as fullback.

tezzah1

Juniors
Really like the way Freddy plays - super aggressive, hard working, such a big bloke who gets around the field easily. Anyone notice how he hasn't gone lean like other players have? Carries around a fair amount of weight around with him and carries it well. Wonder if the Storm will sign him up? Does he have the fitness to play Prop? Pretty sure a club like the Warriors would love to have him there if the Storm don't pick him up?

isaiah

Bench
When looking at what players have a future with us you have to take into consideration are they going to better then the incumbent in a couple of years

Definite future with us.

Matt Duffie - Apart from being tall and having an Issy-like leap on him is also quite quick
Dane Chisholm - Silky smooth skills and very, very fast.
Billy Rogers - In the Dallas Johnson mould and we know what Bellamy thinks of DJ.

Future in the game, probably somewhere else

Fred Makimare - I like him but will he get past Sika, Fanene, Proctor, Hoffman
James Woolford - Cam Smith is here till 2012, Woolford wont hang around
Robbie Rochow - Big, tough backrower. Will stick somewhere
Gareth Widdop - fits the mould of the modern, playmaking FB.
Luke Kelly - needs to learn to keep his mouth shut
Jess Bromwich - Big, strong PF. Uses size to advantage.
Pita Maile has all the tools

Of the rest

Dont rate Sam Joe @ all
Josh Jerome may struggle @ next level
Junior Afu & Theodore Stuart still very young and will come to the fore next year.

is kelly getting much game time in tonight's game?

did josh jerome play the full 80 in nyc tonight?

Noa

First Grade
is kelly getting much game time in tonight's game?

did josh jerome play the full 80 in nyc tonight?

Played most of the 2nd half. Nice ball to Hoffman for our try, didnt get enough trust from his tam-mates though for the rest of the game.

Josh Jerome did play the whole 80m

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
For those Storm fans that havent seent them, Dane Chisholm' stats from last night were

198mtrs gained
2 trys
3 line-breaks
4 tackle-breaks
2 try assists

All on 9 runs :shock:

Kells

Juniors
For those Storm fans that havent seent them, Dane Chisholm' stats from last night were

198mtrs gained
2 trys
3 line-breaks
4 tackle-breaks
2 try assists

All on 9 runs :shock:

yeh i remember bellamy saying hes a def future 5-8 prospect. he even started at 5-8 in our 1st trial game of the yr against the warriors.

i reckon he might be a future prospect 4 sure. but so is duffie! made like 180 metres last night and was awesome. he could def take over the wing spot when turner goes next yr. plus hes like 190 cm which is what we need.

Noa

First Grade
yeh i remember bellamy saying hes a def future 5-8 prospect. he even started at 5-8 in our 1st trial game of the yr against the warriors.

i reckon he might be a future prospect 4 sure. but so is duffie! made like 180 metres last night and was awesome. he could def take over the wing spot when turner goes next yr. plus hes like 190 cm which is what we need.

...and he has an absolutely huuuuuuuuuuge leap on him, in the same class as Issy.

Heres a Lol fact about Matt Duffie, he was the most promising Aussie Rules player in New Zealand.

The King7

Juniors
Does anyone know what the Storms plans are with Duffie. He would have to be up there with the best finishers in the NYC?

Noa

First Grade
Opinions divided on Sam Joe.

I think he's ordinary, others think he has ability.

Hasnt even seen CCS action which should tell you something.

D

Deleted member 10972

Storm have an unbelievable backline at full strength:

1. Widdop
2. Jerome
3. Joe
4. Maile
5. Duffie
6. Chisolm
7. Kelly

Justin O'Neill, a very slick and speedy finisher, wouldn't even get in, and this is assuming that Tomane is in first grade.

Very fast and talented.

Special K

Coach
Kelly did one good ball and that was only given to him by Maloney who had confidence to hit Kelly and not Cronk who was calling for it. That does not often happen at the storm especially when Smith is at the 9. Also Kellys last tackle options were deplorable - being stuck twice in the last ten without being able to get a kick away(including once in their 20).

Kelly had a nice debut but some of the comments i've read , such as him over taking Maloney are pretty out there.

Noa

First Grade
Kelly did one good ball and that was only given to him by Maloney who had confidence to hit Kelly and not Cronk who was calling for it. That does not often happen at the storm especially when Smith is at the 9. Also Kellys last tackle options were deplorable - being stuck twice in the last ten without being able to get a kick away(including once in their 20).

Kelly had a nice debut but some of the comments i've read , such as him over taking Maloney are pretty out there.

Yeah Id agree with that K. His defence (Kelly) needs alot of work as well. And I agree with you about Cooper and Cam, its been a pet peeve of mine for 3 years now, ever since GI went to 6. Those two didnt do enough to help his game there imo.

If Maloney wants the job, and theres a gun in NYC who realistically is another year away, he needs voice his concerns or else he'll end up like Russ Aitken

Duffie - MUST BE KEPT AND PLAYED! my fav U20 player
Kelly - MUST BE KEPT as when we lose someone like cronk or finch he could step up and play for us
Chisolm - same with Kelly