What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who believes that RL can be the number 1 sport in the world?

VictoryFC

Bench
Never, but it can make the top 3-4 football codes in the world if the people running the game do the right thing. It's probably there right now already.

Soccer/football.
NFL
Union
League
Canadian
Who cares.

It's just a matter of growing the game the right way.

It's too tough a sport to ever become #1 unless all those old movies where extreme sports taking over are right in the long run. But it doesn't need to be #1.

You're paying Canadian football too much respect. A sport played in one country with the pro league having 8 teams? :lol: Even the AFL is more popular.

Easts R #1

Juniors
Never will be #1 in the world, needs to be better nutured in other countries to survive its international demise. I believe the NRL needs massive expansion in Australia, each state should have its own nrl team.

BODISGOD

Bench
I think your making some decent points there mate, but youve got a bit of a blind spot when it comes to the Argies.

Nearly made it? and Top 8? Top 8 side in Rugby Union isn't really anything. Iceland and Ivory Coast has some top players in the English Soccer, doesn't make them a world power
There's only really about 5 nations that are consistently decent.

Wales are a top 4 side in Rugby League for example.

Top 10 in RU matters quite a bit.

Canard

Immortal
Top 10 in RU matters quite a bit.

Its great that your such a passionate fan of Union mate and that you feel that way, but to most its like claiming to be in the top 10 in Cricket or Baseball.

After the top tier teams theres a big drop off in quality.

High Flyers

Juniors
If you look at what the Carlton FC did in the AFL it just shows you the professionalism with which the clubs are being run. They not only look to engage their fans but go to them for ideas...

They partnered with Deloitte Digital to run an online campaign sourcing innovative ideas for improving the fan/customer experience. One of the supporters even suggested running a joint partnership with the Storm to leverage the different supporter base of the different codes. Something like a Red V membership in Sydney would work Swans/Saints..?

Look here;
http://www.ideasforcarltonfc.com.au/skins/cfc/logon/closed.html

We know what the basics are that we should do as supporters (memberships etc) but what other outside the box ideas can we come up with that can either:
Increase revenue
Increase our footprint Nationally/Regionally
Provide fans with a better experience at the games.

Cmon its the off season, get creative!

supercharger

Juniors
You're paying Canadian football too much respect. A sport played in one country with the pro league having 8 teams? :lol: Even the AFL is more popular.
Yeah even i would have to agree with that :(
the CFL broadcast revenue is $80 million over 5 years with an overall revenue between $120-$150 million in terms of revenue the CFL would be dead last amongst the football codes
But in terms of attendance which is a tick over 27k and 2 million overall from 72 games which compares favourably with any rugby competition union or league
and ratings for the Grey Cup are pretty good https://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/historical-grey-cup-ratings/

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Soccer is shit, NFL is shit, and Yawnion is shit. AFL... there is a reason why its only played in 1 country lol.
Rugby League is the best sport in the world hands down, just the world doesn't even know it exists.

supercharger

Juniors
I don't as I would rather see Australia play that Hybrid Universal Football or the Aussie Rules lot split themselves between Rugby League,Rugby Union and Soccer(f**k even Basketball).

Same with the Irish and wasting there time with GAA (both Hurling and Football)rather see that lot playing Soccer,Rugby Union and even Cricket.

Same the Canadians as I rather see the CFL lot play there root's being Rugby Union or go over to NFL or maybe both.
cmon guy,this again seriously the biggest problem with your plan is that union is terribly unpopular in Canada that and the CFL is undergoing a renaissance http://www.cfl.ca/video/index
and as for the NFL they have always been pretty good to the CFL even helping them by providing a $3 million dollar interest free loan some time back

Teddyboy

First Grade
cmon guy,this again seriously the biggest problem with your plan is that union is terribly unpopular in Canada that and the CFL is undergoing a renaissance http://www.cfl.ca/video/index
and as for the NFL they have always been pretty good to the CFL even helping them by providing a $3 million dollar interest free loan some time back

Not disrespecting any of the codes just that iam a bit of a purists,I mean I don't like many distractions and for example loved it when Mike Tyson came on the scene and got all the different world title belts under one roof.Not a fan of Soccer but they sorted the first rules out and look at them now but I wouldn't want Rugby League to be that big and corrupt.

Tommax25

Bench
This is literally impossible. It will NEVER happen ever, ever, ever. In Australia its possible but unlikely. In the world? Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Ever. There are sports it simply cannot, ever, overtake. It would never replace NFL in America, it would never replace soccer in half the soccer mad countries in the world. Never. Impossible. Have I emphasised that enough yet?

juro

Bench
All it would take is for 99.99% of the world's population to get abducted by aliens and we would be there. Never say never! (or never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever either)

Borat.

Juniors
HAHAHAHA- it will never be the number 1 sport in the country!!

But who gives a rats arse

Canard

Immortal
Too late.
News Limited have already corrupted the game - and were allowed to. TV rights to Channel Nine were given away for vitually nothing.
The CEO is a News Limited-appointee who is still there (despite the ridiculous conflict of interest) and is now asking for (and will get) $750K per annum.
Look at what happened to the CC Bears 5 years ago and 12 years ago in 1999.

Rugby league is one of the most corrupt sports in the world.

Laughable.

$750K, Sepp Blatter gets bribes on a daily basis larger than that.

In a ladder of sports corruption, the NRL is Souffs.

Loudstrat

Coach
Rugby League is the number 1 sport in the world.

We have Origin
We get to flog the Poms annually
We have Hindy
We get to lol@souffs

No oher sport can match this. Just because Ruperts vision of making blokes like Steve Edmed a household name from Cairo to Caracas conked out when he entrusted his plan to John Ribot and failed miserably at alerting the Asians, Africans and Americans to the game doesnt mean we aint the top in terms of evolution.

I do know we are sh*tlaods ahead of Union if they can still make pensoners like Brad Thorn look good. The only reason Union strggles with it's age group is because they all prefer lawn bowls. It's tougher and more challenging.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Soccer is shit, NFL is shit, and Yawnion is shit. AFL... there is a reason why its only played in 1 country lol.
Rugby League is the best sport in the world hands down, just the world doesn't even know it exists.

Rugby League will never even be the most popular game in Australia little lone the world.

What a stupid thread:lol:

:lol:

I'll be shocked if it were still alive in 10 years:lol:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Rugby League will never even be the most popular game in Australia little lone the world.

What a stupid thread:lol:

:lol:

I'll be shocked if it were still alive in 10 years:lol:

Aerial ping pong fan I assume?

Also, it's let alone, not little lone..good try though

Galeforce

Bench
Soccer is the world game , no doubt.
consider the number of players around the world , the number of countries where it is the #1 team sport , the real competition at International club level , at international country level. The real multiyear focus on World cup prelims and then the World cup.
As for NRL it is in arm wrestle with AFL for australia's #1 team game.
I will not debate this , may as well debate religion, i follow NRL .
As for australia future #1 sport , i believe Soccer will eventually claim that as well.
Why
1) more juniors play soccer than any other sport
2) the move to the Asia confederation continues to lift our participation in real world class competitions , be it International Club competitions and International Country competition that lead to Asia Conferation Cup and World Cup.
3) the A league improving at a steady pace and this year the games i have seen have been GREAT.
4) the A League and Asian confederation opportunities will result in more and more junior players staying in the game as players and followers. The best athletes will gravitate to this game , if they have not this already.
I enjoy Soccer at international level and club level . I enjoy NRL mainly because of my Souths passion.Frankly international NRL games are hard pressed to compete with Origin games. This really is a reflection on the poor standard/passion of international competition.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Aerial ping pong fan I assume?

Also, it's let alone, not little lone..good try though

nope, far from it, hate Union too.

Good try? lol im not even attempting to troll, but just for you, Rugby League will be the most popular game in Australia and the world in 10 years time, and your mighty world famous, in NSW Dragons will be more popular then the Dallas Cowboys:lol:

It will be dead:lol: