What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who has played American football?

eelegant

Juniors
I'm from the same mold as Cupid, Div 1, NSW.

Offensive Lineman, though I spent my juniour years playing Outside LB and Punter/Kicker.

Selected for State 2002.

I played the Innaugural year for Holroyd Trojans back int 91, played there for 3 years, and 2 years at Northshore Falcons. Took a bit of a sabatical and now at the West Sydney Pirates for the last 5 years.

eelegant and Shagmop, and any other young guys that play "gridiron", do you also play league? Or did you give it up for gridiron? And how do you compare the 2 games, as a player?

eelegant

Juniors
I've played Rugby (with highschool), League and Gridiron.

They are really tough to compare, as they are run to different beats.

Rugby is about stalling your oppenant and really controlling the football.

League is game for the quick paced, goose legged flyers (of which I'm not), and found it to be very individualised in it's approach as a sport. ie fowards run up the ball, but the centres won't and wingers never will! (let the abuse start! :D )

Gridiron is really better played than watched. 3 hours is never enough when you're in the trenches, but your ass can get sore from the bleachers. From a game point of view I've found it the most physical of all three. Sure I never get tackled, and now don't even tackle opponents (unless I'm on kick off). But the balance, strength and speed needed on the line is incomparable to other sports. There's just nothing like it.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
well ive only really played leauge and gridion in muck-around games. ive never played in proper matches of either but what i have played i would say that gridion has alot more in it but also requires alot more skill, awarness and teamwork. leauge is probably the better muck around game but if a proper game of gridion was on the line id rather that.

Of course as a QB you'll like it, Shagmop. It's the glamour position, get to handle the ball every play, throw forward passes. I played it in high school many years ago, and it was great fun. When I went to university I wasn't skilled enough to play quarterback, but I played defensive back there. Now my knees are bad and I can't run much anymore, but I still like to throw the ball, and play quarterback in a game of touch.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
yeah, im not really one to want a glammour position like that being a bit shaky under pressure but i was told i have real talent and you cant argue with fate. i wouldnt mind being a WR like my favourite player Jerry Rice!

ak47

Juniors
SHAGMOP said:
i reckon RL skills would be helpful in a gridion match eg for running game and laterals. maybe not so much for WR but it could still help.

totally agree
u have all players to commit/flood one side, and it goes like this:

Use spare RB as QB
have the WR on the blind side in motion towards open side
Hike the ball
give to HB, QB Wraps around HB & backs him up
the WR in motion drops behind them 2
have the WR and TE on open side to drop back for a screen, however just wait till the QB and HB run them onside (RL style)
then WR, TE, QB and WR#2 are all in support for a draw and pass spread the ball situation, however having the QB running adds the overlap, not too mention if a tackle was innaffective, there's a great potential to overlap eachother over and over, cause the NFL players wouldnt have the mindset to know how to stop this forever overlap or the wrap around.

sharkies9

Juniors
Not a bad idea, but I do believe that play would take too long to develop. The defense could easily read and pursue towards that part of the field and use the sideline to either tackle you or just run you out of bounds. I believe you would need a decoy on the other side of the field. If the wr and TE run a screen there will be a LB and CB right there so there would not be any room. Alot of colleges run a play called the option where the quarterback rolls out to the right or left. if the defensive end comes to tackle him he will pitch to a RB running outside him, or if the DE goes to the RB he will take it up himself. The wr and end in this case would run a fly pattern down the field to get the CB and LB out of there and then block them.

Yes, I think of the option play as a bit of rugby still remaining in football.

Did anyone see the New Orleans Saints play this year where they threw the ball around like a rugby team on a last second play, and did score a touchdown? Unfortunately their usually reliable kicker then missed the extra point, preventing them from getting the tie.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
yeah i saw that. probably the only time they would use laterals in NFL because its so easy to fumble the ball tryig to catch a lateral with the pads on. basically its better just to take the ball to ground, and not take the chance of fumble or intercept which could result in a turnover.

sharkies9

Juniors
Yea I saw that new orleans game it was great to see being an american rugby and league player. It was exciting.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
sharkies9 said:
Yea I saw that new orleans game it was great to see being an american rugby and league player. It was exciting.

yeah, it kinda reminds you of the roots of both sports, which is rugby

I thought I'd bump this thread up to see if any new members play"gridiron". Or if there are any updates from those who've already posted.

Cupid Stunt

Hey Steve,
Sydney comp starts September 4 I think. We started training last night & I still hate pre-season. :lol:

We're getting two imports this year. Both from Wabash College (Div 3), a SS who was apparently voted the biggest hitter in the conference & a KR/WR who averages around a 4.6 40. Not to bad a pair to pick up. :clap:

That's a long pre-season, from now till September.

I've heard of Wabash - I can't remember the details, but I think there was a great player many years ago nicknamed the Wabash Cannonball.

What would bring these guys to Aus? Does the team get them jobs, do they get paid, do they just come for an adventure?

Cupid Stunt

What brings them to Aus, or more importantly to us, is partly the whole "Australian lifestyle" idea of beer, beach & babes & also the refferals we have written & happily verified by guys who have played here in years gone by. We help them get accomodation, generally in Cronulla, smack on the beach. Jobs are got for them so their cash isnt just wasted on living & they get picked up by the guys who live near them for training & games.

Are you thinking of the Wabash Cannonball, the song about the train?

They know prior that this is a bush league but it's just a good way to finish school, see the other side of the world & play some football. Though I must reiterate, the women play a big factor. :mrgreen:

Next year will be interesting. There's a guy coming thats around 6'3 330pds & is a DB. Well thats his size now as a Jr... :shock:

A 330 pound DB? Can't be, he'd be too slow. Do you mean 230 (still pretty big), or do you a DL?

I wish this opprtunity to travel and play had been around 25 years ago. I'm not sure I'd've been good enough, but it would have been fun to try. I do know of some Canadians who've gone and played in England in the 90s.

I may have been thinking about the song, but I'm sure I've heard of Wabash football too.

Cupid Stunt

Yes my mistake that should read DL not DB. Sorry.

You'd have been good enough even if you didnt know the rules. We of course play to win but have no problems in teaching people along the way. The only thing thats asked of us is effort, funnily enough the rest comes pretty easy.

Funny you mention England. We have a team-mate playing over there again this year. Think this is his 2nd year. He reckons we'd give them a run for their money. :roll: :lol:

MysteryGirl

First Grade
I love Paullyboy's Viking :D

Seeing as I'm American - I've grown up watching football - been to more games than I could tell you about - LOVE the game. LOVE IT!!!

vikingssara.gif