What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be NSW Origin captain in 2017?

Clifferd

Coach
Imo woods has blown whatever chance he's had of being captain these past few weeks. What a joker

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Pretty simple really. When the best young centre in the game is picked he'll also be captain and goal kicker.

So you have watched every minute of every Roosters game to see that the referees have spoken only ever to Jake Friend on the field have you? If you haven't then you cannot back up your dissertation at all. The only person who is applying that criteria, namely that there is only ever one captain and that is whomever speaks to the referee is your definition and no one elses. Boyd Cordner is the Roosters co-captain regardless of what you say. His coach says he is, so that will do it for me as I think he might have some idea of what he is talking about with his own side.

Edit: Also if he is not captain, why does Big League, the official program of the NRL, along with the team listing on NRL.com have Cordner and Friend both listed as captain?

If you REALLY want to go down that road then fine, Boyd Cordner is not THE CAPTAIN of the Roosters he is the CO-CAPTAIN as you admitted to in the bold. This means that the captaincy is shared and both Friend and Cordner are co-captains.

soc123_au

Staff member
lol at all the votes for Woods. Has shown in the past few weeks the peaheart he really is. Not capable of the leadership required to lead a pensioners crochet team at the inter RSL crochet challenge.

Wade Graham should have been one of the first picked for the past 3 years and being groomed for the captaincy. Better late than never. Make it happen Laurie. Could live with Cordner, but apart from last year he has been a bit over rated I think.

davi

Juniors
Imo woods has blown whatever chance he's had of being captain these past few weeks. What a joker

Yep I agree. I think the Sunday Footy Show discussion last Sunday was also a joke. Alot of the panelists talking about Aaron Woods work on Fox sports and have a personal relationship with Woods who appears on their shows.

They were asked if they think the Tigers dramas blew Woods chances as captain. "Oh no, I don't think so. In fact it works out the best way for Woodsy. He doesn't have to worry about the pressure of being captain and can concentrate on his footy".

They actually contradicted themselves, if the pressure of being captain was too much for him then he is obviously not captain material and his jumping ship at West Tigers proves that.

I also don't buy the crap peddled that Woods can't be blamed leaving a bad situation. At the end of Paul Sironen's career he played on alot bad Balmain Tigers teams, but stayed loyal and never jumped ship despite receiving offers from better teams.

TheFrog

Coach
If you REALLY want to go down that road then fine, Boyd Cordner is not THE CAPTAIN of the Roosters he is the CO-CAPTAIN as you admitted to in the bold. This means that the captaincy is shared and both Friend and Cordner are co-captains.
Which of them particpated in the coin toss for golden point yesterday? That player is the captain.

I think Farah will be captain if he makes the team. Otherwise it will be Woods. Cordner is too young.

Which of them particpated in the coin toss for golden point yesterday? That player is the captain.

I think Farah will be captain if he makes the team. Otherwise it will be Woods. Cordner is too young.

It was Jake Friend which was a surprise since he was subbed off in normal time for Carter.

Valheru

Coach

Boyd Cordner will be the captain. You are just going to have to accept it.

Really? Thanks scoop. You going to tell me water is wet next? :D

Really? 25 years old is too young (edit: Cordner turns 25 on 9 June 2017)? Dave Brown became captain of the Roosters (as the club is now known) at the age of 19. In September 1935, at an age of 22, he was also made captain of the Kangaroos. Brad Fittler, at the age of 23, became NSW and Australian captain. Laurie Daley, at age of 23, became NSW Captain in 1992. Clive Churchill became captain of Australia at the age of 23 in 1950.

I'm not suggesting Cordner is an immortal or anything like that, but age is not really a problem. I dare say the selectors are looking at a younger player as they hope that by appointing one they will have quite a few years with that player at captain.

As to the coin toss? Big deal. Go and look at the footage from the Anzac Day game in the huddle whilst getting ready for extra time. The one doing all the talking was Boyd Cordner. He was the one laying it down to the rest of the team. It amazes me how people want to resist someone solely because: (a) they don't always talk to the referee and/or (b) they don't participate in the coin toss. :p

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
So what is the argument for making him captain? About the only one I've heard is that he's a good player.

Latest posts