What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will win the Victory Cup?

Who will win the Victory Cup

• Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA

• BARLA

• Ireland

• France

• NZ Defence Force

• Total voters

carlnz

Bench
I think this year will be very close, Russia And USA have develop quite alot since the last Cup

yakstorm

First Grade
Russia I think will win it.

France have named a squad with no Super League, UTC and Toulouse players for their Victory Cup squad, which means it will be a lot weaker than their squad last year.

Russia are also coming off the successfull New Zealand tour.

NZ Defence Force and Ireland however are very much unknown quantities.
BARLA will most likely be again grouped with France.

DIEHARD

----
Why did they name such a weak squad Yakstorm? My money is still on France but I'd love Russia to win it. God its great for rugby league national sides to get regular runs outside of World Cups. Med Cup, Victory Cup and Euro Champsionship. It's all so sweet! :p

Jeffles

Bench
If France are that weak I'd say BARLA now. I voted for the Chanticleers assuming they'd have a strong squad.

Big Bunny

Juniors
A Russia / BARLA final for mine, with BARLA winning it in a tight contest. If the US get anywhere near the final I'll be shocked. I don't think they are developing anywhere near enough without a junior system in place.

ali

Bench
I think i will have to wait and see the anmed squads. I hoping Ireland will field a stronger squad that what they have been sending over to the US. Hopefully they'll name a few national league players. If they do, then maybe they are a decent chance for the final. I also wouldn't be writing off an Kiwi rep team, as the others always find in hard to contain big athletic Kiwis.

Why no players from UTC or Toulouse? Can you list the squad Yak.

yakstorm

First Grade
Sorry its not UTC or Carcassonne players cause of the Lord Derby Cup final.

The French squad is as follows:
FORWARDS - Bemba, El Khalouki (Villefranche), Bansept (Pia), Raguin, Gay, Pramil, Shead A (Toulouse), Ferriol, Waigafa (Limoux), Borlin, Coulibaly (St.Gaudens), Sabatier, Carrasco and Shead P (Villeneuve)

BACKS - Chautard (Lezignan), Greseque, Chaubet (Pia), Gerin (Toulouse), Almarcha, Piccolo, Murcia, Zitter (Limoux), Dulac, Sirvent, Abasse (St.Gaudens), Van Snick and Hermet (Villeneuve).

Jeffles

Bench
Ahh I see. Well in that case t will be a France v BARLA final and an entertaining one at that.

yakstorm

First Grade
Nah that wont happen, I reckon the two pools will look much like this:

Pool 1:
France
BARLA
NZ Defence

Pool 2:
Russia
USA
Ireland

Thus meaning both France and BARLA can't make the final.

screeny

Bench
That's a pretty tasty French squad, given the vacancies. I think the 2004 French performances will all be underlined by the prospect of Test spots v Australia and NZ toward the end of the year.

The Victory Cup and then, I presume, the Med Cup (are they in this year? Is it on this year?) will all be selection trials for the home Tests v the top two in November.

Exciting stuff for France.

yakstorm

First Grade
screeny said:
That's a pretty tasty French squad, given the vacancies. I think the 2004 French performances will all be underlined by the prospect of Test spots v Australia and NZ toward the end of the year.

The Victory Cup and then, I presume, the Med Cup (are they in this year? Is it on this year?) will all be selection trials for the home Tests v the top two in November.

Exciting stuff for France.

Yeah France is still competiting in the Med Cup this year, Greece have been invited to join the tournament this year and I believe Italy have been as well.

I can understand France going for a 'weaker' squad, as they will want to see what players they have who are coming up the junior ranks who could perhaps slot into the senior side.

In-goal

Bench
It would be fantastic if Italy and Greece were to join the Med cup this year

Question? will the med cup be in Lebanon again?

roopy

Referee
The USA squad is not their best ever - but the inclusion of Wells will be a long term benefit to them. A few years ago he was a member of the ACT Brumbies squad and is a fullback or wing. IMO the back three is the weakest area for the US team, so having Nate Smith now training as a winger with Parra and Craig Wells coming into the squad (must have now lived in the US for long enough) should really tighten up their defence a lot.