What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would your coach be moving forward?

Who would your coach be?

• Michael Maguire

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Cameron Ciraldo

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Ben Gardiner

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Nathan Cayless

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Paul Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kristian Woolfe

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Tim Sheens

• Brett Kimmorely

• John Morris

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • other (please state)

• Total voters

Ned Kelly

Juniors
So we keep Madge, we gain one or two reasonable players, we lose a couple of reasonable players. Over all nothing changes.
How is this a good thing?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I suppose in many ways it is who wants to come to WT? Ive said in other threads WT have a good story to tell building upon 2 foundation clubs with heart and pride, living in the inner west and south western slice of Sydney is good (it can be promoted, not hidden- still not far from beaches etc), and the junior ranks to build upon. If we can get a coach who can relate to the players we have and will have, tell the story of how he can build their skills and resultant opportunities we can get the players. BUT, we need a coach who can teach them getting the basics right (passing, catching, kicking, positional play etc) and to get them to transition that from practice to the actual footy field and competition.

Maguires position is untenable- results speak unfortunately and he just hasnt been able to do the package that you expect of a NRL coach. Of the list noted above I'd speak to Flanagan, Morris, Woolfe, Green and maybe Gardiner.

Time is short, we need to get the spine right (recruitment / retention for each role), then the right support players to compliment them. Those decisions should rightly be that of the new coach, not the old one.

simmo05

Bench
do I have to explain every little detail of what I write Simmo.It’s pretty straight forward even for you ..There’s a world of difference between Madge and Flanagan re game smarts etc. Have another beer or whatever it is that sets u off
Don't post shit if you don't want people to ask questions! What's the straight forward part you speak of. You said flanno, who won a premiership what, 2 years after madge? And hasn't coached for how many years? And rorted the cap and pumped his players full of illegal shit! And you say I need a beer. You need to lay off the glass barbie mate! I fail to see on what planet flanno is a fit for this joint

Tiger Ted

Bench
I’m sticking with Madge to turn it around. Get rid of Pascoe, bring back Steve Noyce. Start again. Noyce just quit his job with the greyhounds, maybe somethings in the wind. Noyce and Sheens show back in town?
There are a multitude of reasons why maguires job has been untenable since last season none more so than he has lost the dressing room & we r missing out on elite players like JAC & LM coz they are averse to playing under him.The imbecilic powers that be must pull the trigger asap.

Tigerm

First Grade
I suppose in many ways it is who wants to come to WT? Ive said in other threads WT have a good story to tell building upon 2 foundation clubs with heart and pride, living in the inner west and south western slice of Sydney is good (it can be promoted, not hidden- still not far from beaches etc), and the junior ranks to build upon. If we can get a coach who can relate to the players we have and will have, tell the story of how he can build their skills and resultant opportunities we can get the players. BUT, we need a coach who can teach them getting the basics right (passing, catching, kicking, positional play etc) and to get them to transition that from practice to the actual footy field and competition.

Maguires position is untenable- results speak unfortunately and he just hasnt been able to do the package that you expect of a NRL coach. Of the list noted above I'd speak to Flanagan, Morris, Woolfe, Green and maybe Gardiner.

Time is short, we need to get the spine right (recruitment / retention for each role), then the right support players to compliment them. Those decisions should rightly be that of the new coach, not the old one.
I think the minimum a FG player would be being paid, would be round approx 4k per week, it is on themselves to play to there pay grade?

A FG Coach shouldn’t be needing to teaching them basic skills, they should have it, maybe we are not recruiting as we should, I suppose we are not a destination club yet?

For me, I would like to see how Hastings and Doueihi go in the halves, before deciding on anything.

IMO, Brooks hasn’t got it and so far Madden doesn’t look like getting it either.
Laurie has gone backwards.
The wingers are painfully slow and generally ineffective.
Goddard now know’s what big fast centres look like. The other centre has been stop gap every game.

We keep hearing we are continually chasing forwards, but never backs, there doesn’t seem to have any balance in the team, this is what Sheens is here for I thought and what he should be doing, his first month here was fantastic, but since then……..nothing.

I am not sure anyone could get this present lot going, as some are simply dogging it (mainly backs imo) and they know we have no one to replace them with.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think the minimum a FG player would be being paid, would be round approx 4k per week, it is on themselves to play to there pay grade?

A FG Coach shouldn’t be needing to teaching them basic skills, they should have it, maybe we are not recruiting as we should, I suppose we are not a destination club yet?
I dont disagree, they should know and do it but our lot have been unable to do the basics for years. I'd assume its practised in training and they do ok but the moment they go on to the field of battle they loose it. Thats why is qualified the point with getting them to transition it on to the field. Something Maguire has singularly been unable to do over 3 seasons. I don care how wel WT go in training and their execution there, its on the field on game day that it all counts and he just hasnt been able to get that bit sorted. While yes, it is obviously a players problem, what is causing that disconnect between practice and game day? We need a coach who can address that.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Going on what they had to say on NRL 360 maybe we should be discussing who our interim coach should be until we can sign a quality coach. For that option I would go Ben Gardiner even if it is for next year as well just as long as we have something to look forward to in the future,

WA Tiger

Bench
Don't post shit if you don't want people to ask questions! What's the straight forward part you speak of. You said flanno, who won a premiership what, 2 years after madge? And hasn't coached for how many years? And rorted the cap and pumped his players full of illegal shit! And you say I need a beer. You need to lay off the glass barbie mate! I fail to see on what planet flanno is a fit for this joint
Well you wouldn’t. Mind you you usually talk shit on this forum. One thing worse than an angry cont, is a dumb angry cont…enjoy Madge while he lasts.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
Well you wouldn’t. Mind you you usually talk shit on this forum. One thing worse than an angry cont, is a dumb angry cont…enjoy Madge while he lasts.
Madge can drive off a cliff for all I care. And so can you! Imagine a potato from WA calling someone a dumb merkin!

Parkesy

Juniors
I think madge should go but not because he's no good. I don't think he can get through to the players because most of them appear to not give a shit about the club. We have no culture in our club any more. I have been a magpie for sixty years and have seen us become a joke in the nrl for a while now. Get rid of the imposters running the club, pascoe and ceo because they have proved they can only buy players who are looking to retire. Stop letting our good juniors leave, stop buying duds. Tamou would have to be the slowest player in the league. No coach can save us at present until we clean out the crap.

Pezz70

Juniors
The team is full of rubbish players, they’ve dropped Gildart, and kept Garner in the centres. We’re gonna get dusted but I still think we should throw a young centre in, might as well see what they have to offer if we’re gonna get toasted anyway. This could be Madge’s last game

Parkesy

Juniors
The team is full of rubbish players, they’ve dropped Gildart, and kept Garner in the centres. We’re gonna get dusted but I still think we should throw a young centre in, might as well see what they have to offer if we’re gonna get toasted anyway. This could be Madge’s last game
I agree we'll keep getting dusted until we make changes. Garner is not a centre a decent second row. Brooks needs to be dropped it doesn't matter that he is our highest paid player. I think that his confidence is shot. Drop Tamou, maumolo, Gildart, musgrove ,peachey . All our new players don't seem to care.

Fordy20

Juniors
I’m sticking with Madge to turn it around. Get rid of Pascoe, bring back Steve Noyce. Start again. Noyce just quit his job with the greyhounds, maybe somethings in the wind. Noyce and Sheens show back in town?

I went with Madge too, simply because the players have to learn that they can’t just tank to get a coach sacked anymore.

Just on Noyce, would he even want to come back just to be Sheenius’s bitch again? Isn’t that why he quit in the first place?

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I originally voted for Madge to stay...I've now changed it to Woolf.

My reason is actually very simple - because all the fans have completely lost interest in our club. Every time we see a Madge press conference, Brooks running out in the #7 jersey, players looking completely disinterested or that flog Anasta bashing us on NRL360, it just reminds us of how far we have fallen since the short period of Ivan's tenure when we were playing to first grade standard.

If Madge and/or Brooks stays at the club, I feel like it will be a very very long time until we are interested again. A new coach and halfback instantly piques our interest and will give us fresh hope -- and buy the club more time to get their shit together.

If Madge is moved on, then it's clearly a 3 horse race between Flanagan, Ciraldo and Woolf. I voted Woolf because:
A - he's currently a head coach so understands what is required of him. Ciraldo has never been a head coach and it's been a lifetime (by NRL standards) since Flanagan was head coach
B - zero baggage. Ciraldo has the whole Penrith link to him so you can imagine the circus of us trying to steal their players but then to only be rejected etc etc. Flanagan comes with his own baggage for a host of reasons, all well documented
C - For the past 3 consecutive years, Woolf has only known success. I know ESL is a different beast, but this is a relatively young coach who understands the modern game and how to manage this generation of players. Ciraldo definitely has this same quality (you could argue even more so) but every head coach of every sport that has ever existed have said that there is so much more to being a head coach that you don't realize until you do it.

Just my thoughts...I realistically have no fkn idea what I'm talking about

Latest posts