What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't rugby league get a crowd like that???

Giallorosso

Juniors
In all my years of watching Australia's national sporting teams have I never seen a crowd show so much emotion and make so much noise as the followers of Australia's magnificent victorious football team did last night all 83,000 plus the 10,000+ outside Telstra were simply out of this world!!!!

I as lucky enough to be there and it will live with me for ever but I must ask why can our beloved Kangaroo's, our rugby league world champions not attract such unbelievable adulation as the football team did last night??

Forza Australia at the football WORLD CUP 2006!!!!!

I think all we have to do to get a crowd like that is play one meaningfull game of League in the whole of Australia every four years.

Giallorosso

Juniors
I'm not trying to turn this into a Rugby League versus football thread i love both sports equally.

I'm more asking why our international rugby league crowd don't show as much full on emotion even when we play the Kiwi's our biggest sporting rival??

We get this at state of origin RL games but not internationals don't we???

Next time our mighty world champions Kangaroo's are playing New Zealand at telstra the rugby League community should go out and really show football and all these other sports like Aussie rules and yawnion that we can put on a show too.

If anything rugby league is the greatest game of all but we fans should be able to show for our country!!

iggy plop

First Grade
Once every four years and a greater prize at stake.

It's not too hard to work out even for a troll.

manlyone

Juniors
We don't get it in international league because the aussies always win...... soccer has been waiting for this for 31 years ...... 31 years in between big matches is a long wait ......

Giallorosso

Juniors
No i don't agree football has never been part of the geneal Aussie sporting culture and probably never will.This A-league and so on is only really for the footballing die-hards and most people only give it a passing 30 second jolt of interest whereas NRL one of the most intense sporting competiton in the world is THE GAME in Australia..

Rugby league is the king pin of Aussie sporting culture the ultimate in sporting aggresion and guile something we aussie identify more than anyone we all know and agree on that but just because we are world champions, best team in the world, etc does not mean we should forget about the Kangaroo's when the play on the sacred paddock of telstra.

Giallorosso

Juniors
I wasnt trolling i want to see our Kangaroo's win every gamelike every other red blooded male in Australia. I want to see our kangaroo's play in front of a full telstra,maybe not for the pretend games against PNG,france or Fiji but the real deal Australia versus New Zealand or England.

Imagine if we could recipricate that wonderful atmosphere we get at the origin at international games it would put RL on the world map I'm sure!!!!

Here the war cry

AussieAussieAussie OiOiOi!!!!!

Giallorosso said:
I wasnt trolling i want to see our Kangaroo's win every gamelike every other red blooded male in Australia. I want to see our kangaroo's play in front of a full telstra,maybe not for the pretend games against PNG,france or Fiji but the real deal Australia versus New Zealand or England.

Imagine if we could recipricate that wonderful atmosphere we get at the origin at international games it would put RL on the world map I'm sure!!!!

Here the war cry

No, you were trolling, badly.

The fact that you can pull your scrotum over your head like a players pulls his jersey over his head is a dead giveaway.

Copa

Bench
Giallorosso said:

Here the war cry

The kangaroos are so good, and so dominating, it is sometimes hard to see.

people just don't realise how good they are after three decades of total dominace of the RL world... we just assume the rest are crap when in fact the 'roos are just brilliant.. we've lost sight of that.

The ARL being useless at marketing doesn't ehlp.. they couldn't sell Korans at Mecca.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think fans are spoiled for league . in the nrl we see the best players up against each otehr for 30+ weeks. in soccer they get these try hards in the a-league whereas all the good players go overseas and they dont get to se them

***MH***

Bench
we need someone like Brian Noble coming out to say something like, It is Great Britians divine right to make it to the Tri-Nations Finals......

that'll fire-em up

taxidriver

Coach
Green Machine said:
Did Smith (I hope I pronounced that correctly) get a run last night?

all of those players in the side have done more for Australia than you'll ever got close to achieving you red necked knob.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Congrats to the Socceroos - anyone not proud of 'em wouldn't know an Anzac from a jar of vegemite.

Having said that, for the first 100 minutes the game was like a wierd combination of chess and ballet. Boring tactical ball movemnet interspersed every 60 seconds with someone writhing in pain from the faintest of taps like a ballerina after a miss timed prance. It was like a game of Union - 300 penalties and the game decided by goals, although all the players looked thin and fit.

I was hoping for some wierd juxtaposition of sports and nationalities to occurr, so Nigel Vagana could come on and snot on of the Uraguayan fairies like they were Paul Deacon!

gaterooze

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Having said that, for the first 100 minutes the game was like a wierd combination of chess and ballet.

A combination of AFL & Union, then? ;-)

Seriously though, it was a pretty good game (not great technically, but as an Aussie you can forgive that) and it really highlighted how ordinary the A-League is.

The endless penalties and play-acting did make me flick channels a bit though.

Latest posts