What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do SBS football forum boys diss our great game

Giallorosso

Juniors
There is a lot of the football boys on SBS football forum the world game (which I am a member in fact I am a legend on the world game) having a pop at Rugby league anf the fact that it is not a very big international sport.

Just because football is a massive international sport and rugby league is very much a minor international sport they think they can make fun of us.

There is one c*** called RCB or something who has labled RL the '2 states and wigan' game FFS!!

Now as you all know I am a fan of both sports and just because football is the king of international sports both as a participation and fan base level does not mean these wa****'s can have a pop at our game's relative obscurity in world terms.

For all they know one day the rugby league world cup could be the biggest sporting event in the world like the football world cup!!

We should all join up and give those narrow minded so and so's what for!!

Rugby League the greatest game of all

Big Bunny

Juniors
I couldn't care less what a few narrow minded kids think. If they even had half an understanding of their own codes history and how it relates to other football games then they would know why rugby league didn't expand like soccer did.

I don't mind watching the national soccer team play but really I couldn't care any less for the game itself and the culture it's developed. Soccer is a magnet to ignorant lemmings and glory hounds and it's a shame that the fair supporters among them (of which there are many)are overshadowed by that.

Copa

Bench
They obviously don't want RL fans going to soccer games during the NRL off season. I would have thought they'd want as many people as possible go to games so that soccer succeeds in Oz.

Green Machine

First Grade
Copa said:
They obviously don't want RL fans going to soccer games during the NRL off season. I would have thought they'd want as many people as possible go to games so that soccer succeeds in Oz.
Might be the smell of fear?

In-goal

Bench
I love both sports i don't see why a football fan would be anti RL as they share the same roots working class people trying to make a few bob.

BuffaloRules

Coach
For some reason soccer fans will take a shot at Rugby League, but not AFL which is less international than RL?

They know that if they start bad mouthing AFL, than this will pis off the Melbournites and their sport will have no chance of success down there.

League is fair game though.

Big Bunny

Juniors
In-goal said:
I love both sports i don't see why a football fan would be anti RL as they share the same roots working class people trying to make a few bob.

It's because unlike you or most people in this international forum most football fans (of any code) have no idea about their games true genesis. Most soccer fans are of the belief that every other football code evolved from soccer, whilst Italians are even more delusional in their belief that they invented the game. The same can be said of union where they have issues with league and Victorian rules fans ignore their Gaelic roots. The belief that any of these games is the one true master code has parallels to even more dangerous ideologies. There's no point in arguing with ignorant people if they don't want to hear the truth.

winnyason

Juniors
let me think who watches, sbs f**king no one.

A-league is a fad, like the nbl 12 years ago with dwanye the d train mclain.
they bag league because we have there market share.
plus the A league board is full of old aru wankers.
hay again, look at australian rugby union, a joke.
soccer is envious, & want our market, rugby is running scared in oz.
look at the lack of depth in the wallabies they will look at another league raid.
what about that wank with the dog on sbs soccer.... tosser.

Big Bunny

Juniors
For a "sleeping giant" soccer hasn't done much to really impress since the A-league kicked off. None of the major sports bulletins seem to care much about reporting it. I decided to go have a quick look to see what crowd figures are and this is what I found:

I thought we were on a winner with the new league but I admit I am wrong. Unfortunately you have the world game in your living room and it makes our league look very very poor. I have been to a couple of games and there just isnt any real passion.Talking to some of the officials at the adelaide games who are close friends of mine say that they inflate crowd figures to make them look good to the sponsors.I dont blame the A-league for using that tactic though. To make matters worse, alot of the people that go sadly have free tickets aswell.I dont know what the answer is guys,maybe we go back to state league and have national finals at the end

http://forum.sportal.com.au/viewthread.aspx?t=37899&p=578820

The A-League certainly is a fad and it doesn't seem to be lasting very long. The first weekend was quite well covered and the crowds were fairly big but a couple of weeks later and I've hardly heard anything about it. Obviously I don't watch much SBS sport but I'm sure they go way overboard with their coverage of the competition. SBS is a taxpayer funded soccer promotion. No ther sport - not even league and AFL - get such a leg up from the government. But in more mainstream media they don't get much of a mention. I can only see it getting worse too although maybe when the football seasons are over they will get a bit more of a go. At the end of the day most people who attended the first weekend were probably only there because of the hype and for most it would have been a reminder of how boring soccer is. They can have a go at us but league is growing at a pretty good rate around the world while soccer - with all its resources worldwide - can't match it with us in a sports mad and fairly centralised market in Australia, even with all the ex-pats from soccer playing countries. The A-League only has 8 teams FFS and one is Sydney and Melbourne, that's pretty crap for a sport that rates itself so highly as a major force in Australia.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
For some reason soccer fans will take a shot at Rugby League, but not AFL which is less international than RL?

They know that if they start bad mouthing AFL, than this will pis off the Melbournites and their sport will have no chance of success down there.

League is fair game though.

I find it interesting that AFL fans will bag off League but6 declare their preference to yawnion, why is that?

screeny

Bench
I too love both sports, the only two sports I can honestly say I 'love'.....and I can understand the frustration of Aussie football (soccer) fans. We leaguies are frustrated by our game's size in relation to the crap cousin that is RU. Aussie soccer fans live in a county where their sport is dwarfed by sports that in other countries are dwarfed by soccer.

it must be very frustrating for them. They must feel inadequate almost.

Big Bunny

Juniors
screeny said:
I too love both sports, the only two sports I can honestly say I 'love'.....and I can understand the frustration of Aussie football (soccer) fans. We leaguies are frustrated by our game's size in relation to the crap cousin that is RU. Aussie soccer fans live in a county where their sport is dwarfed by sports that in other countries are dwarfed by soccer.

it must be very frustrating for them. They must feel inadequate almost.

I don't feel frustrated in that regard at all. I don't care if union is bigger or smaller, as long as rugby league continues to grow and that we don't have to put up with idiots like Geoff Carr. I don't like union, but generally what they do doesn't matter except in areas of direct conflict, which is not related directly to unions size. I really couldn't care any less if rugby league was the 5th best supported sport in Australia, provided that we continue to grow and see a healthy sport.

screeny

Bench
Personally I am and probably will always be frustrated at RL's media position in relation to RU, our player pool in relation to RU and the hard yards we have to do because of a century of injustice and bigotry just to even remotely think about catching up with such an inferior product in terms of global reach.

I am very frustrated every time I have to defend RL to the ill-informed who know only that RU is 'massive' and have either never heard of RL or only know it's smaller than RU.

You must simply be a better man than me!

Big Bunny

Juniors
I'm frustrated by rugby league's position in the media without a doubt, however that is in relation to all sports, not just union. I'm also in favour of seeing rugby league go toe to toe with union when it deliberately sets out to sabbotage our developments. But at the same time I'm not enthused about stewing over rugby unions every movement or what their fans are thinking (or aren't). Our sport is better than the limited scope that tackling union leaves us with. We both know that rugby league is a better product, but then I consider it to be a better game than any other on offer. If you set small targets you invariably end up with small gains and the media will judge you on your preoccupations. Rugby league deserves much more.

gaterooze

Bench
Pre-2002 I never paid Union much attention, had no opinion of it either way (apart from being the not-as-good version of League). Then with the poachings and WC in 2003 I started to get pissed off by their astounding hype and lies.

But in the last 18 months those feelings have turned to pity. The ARU have gone so far backward after the WC it's pathetic. And look at their new "national competition" -- it has 4 teams and runs for 7 weeks! :lol:

So now I despise Union for the past, but in the present it's back to paying no attention again...

screeny

Bench
Welcome, gaterooze, to the ranks of genuine RU haters....I salute you. The newsletter, featuring 101 Greatest Sir Jonny Wilkicksoon Minor Ailments, is in the post.

BB, I totally, totally agree with you that RL or RL fans spend too much energy on reacting to RU's moves. I for one am 100 times more interested in the moves our sport makes and barely consider RU's seasons, matches or news (only to pore over pejorative news items - ha!).

Some of the comments from leaguies concerning when we should or shouldn't play our WC based on not being laughed at by RU astounded me. We can mess up our sport enough without having to worry about the rah rahs laughing at us, thank you very much....