What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do we need the Storm?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In regards to the early years and Sydney having mainly inner city clubs. It shouldnt be forgotten that these were literally horse-and-cart days.
Geography wasnt as important as transport and financial considerations. The NSWRL was broke in 1909 and almost folded. At the time, they were simply trying keep the competition going.
To include teams from the far west was simply not practical.

Newcastle were included but transport considerations saw them unable to compete and they formed their own competition. When I was a kid, me a few mates rodes our pushbikes from Liverpool to Newcastle. It took about 12 hours over hilly terrain and what started off as a great adventure ended up just about killing us. I can imagine that in the early days of Rugby League, the 160 km trip would have taken all day... keeping in mind that there were no sealed roads, the trip would have been near impossible during wet weather.

The motorway and electric rail between Sydney and Newcastle are relatively new. 20 years ago neither was there.
Roopy might have to help here but my understanding is that in 1967, Newcastle had a vibrant local competition and were quite happy to be left out of the Sydney comp.

Penrith was the same, albeit closer than Newcastle, it was still miles away. It had a fearsome reputation for being the grave yard for many a team that made the long trek down the highway. Once again, this was before motorways. Up until recently, roads were pretty rough. The F4 motorway / freeway between Sutherland and Wollongong being one of the first built in Sydney and that was in the 70s.
Its interesting to note that Wollongong were keen to come into the comp in 1967 and even though they were relatively close and the freeway was on the drawing board, they were still knocked back in favour of Cronulla.

So when talking about the reasons why things evolved like they did, we have to take into consideration the infrastructure of the day. Thats not to say that the NSWRL were blameless. IMO, they have often been guilty of showing a lack of fore-sight. But we need to keep things in perspective.

Pepe: Its always good to have someone stick up for Cronulla but you should know that last year, Cronulla Sutherland RLFC's first grade side officially became the most unsuccessful team in the history of the comp.

There going alright Pepe, but don't count your chickens b4 they hatch. Me thinks they would have to have some tough matches coming up...Me hopes!

Willow, good points all round. Without transportation issues, RL could've gone 'national' from day 1. The NSWRL was exactly the same as the VFL. Transport prevented them from conducting anything BUT a local competition.

Moffo.

Gav-bt

Juniors
One thing that helped the VFL along was the superior public transport in and around the Port Phillip region. Plus Melbourne is more central to it's surrounding suburbs.

However, it's clear that RL in Sydney made some mistakes. I know it's easy to talk in hindsight, but some things are glaringly obvious. Whoever came up with the Penrith and Cronulla idea for admission should be immortalised with the wooden spoon being named in their honour.

Gav, you obviously don't see how big Penrith is. It has one of the 3 biggest junior areas in the world, if not the biggest. Penrith without a league team would be stupid, akin to rugby league suicide.

Cronulla, well i guess with Saints in the region, it is a bit of an overlap. But still, makes for good rivalry, like the inner city AFL clubs that overlap each others fan base. If we could surf back to 1967, then yeh, a team somewhere else may have been a better idea, leave a space for Perth perhaps, or a 2nd SE QLD team.But we can't go back now.

Moffo.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Moff, if Penrith had never entered the comp, it's most likely that another club would have tapped the area for juniors. Look at the Victoria's Mornington peninsular; it doesn't have a team in the AFL, but it probably had heaps of talent, so it became a zonefor one of Melbourne's VFL clubs. Most, if not allof it was zoned to Hawthorn. That'show they got Leigh Matthews and Dermot Brereton.

"Newcastle were included but transport considerations saw them unable to compete and they formed their own competition. When I was a kid, me a few mates rodes our pushbikes from Liverpool to Newcastle. It took about 12 hours over hilly terrain and what started off as a great adventure ended up just about killing us. I can imagine that in the early days of Rugby League, the 160 km trip would have taken all day... keeping in mind that there were no sealed roads, the trip would have been near impossible during wet weather."

Just need to clear up this transport thing.

The Sydney to Newcastle rail link was completed in 1890. Right up till the end of the steam era (which was when i was about 10 from memory) Newcastle and Sydney were linked by a daily service called the 'Newcastle Flyer' (hence the Darren Albert nickname). this steam service was non stop and was actually faster than the current service, which is faster than travelling by car. To summarise - Newcastle has been about three hours away from Sydney since 1890, and still is.

My understanding is that Newcastle formed their own comp because they could, not because they had to.

The Newcastle comp was only slightly lower in standard than the Sydney comp right up till the early 1970's.

St George were beaten when they were at their strongest by a Newcastle rep side. I know someone who played in the game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Roopy, but electrification was recent.

So from that we can assume that teams made the trip by rail in 1908-9?

What are you all talking about? the stormers should never be dashed i support them and I say this threat is crap why should they be thrown out of the nrl? Ok the storm might not be the best team in the comp and we may not get it kinkin very often but we are there not to just make up the numbers i mean we won the grand final in 1999 and if it wasnt for that there probably still wouldnt be a Melbourne Storm. we keep the game going down in victoria no matter how popular a team is in a state which dont give a shit about league they should still be there. I blame the nrl for not promoting themselves enough down here. If they pormoted a lot better we would get 15,000 on a average instead of 8,000. Promo is the thing. Melbourne keep on plugging down here and we desearve to be in the premiership. Murdoch has money which SHOULD be an advantage for us, he should put more into us so we can sign bigger stars. Marcus Bai is a legend and Robbie Kearns and Stephen Kearny are city heros.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"we won the grand final in 1999 and if it wasnt for that there probably still wouldnt be a Melbourne Storm."
I couldn't agree more.

This extract froma 1999 archive... an open letter to the NRL:
'It is clear that you had the perfect Grand Final. The Merger vs the Franchise. But you got greedy didn't you?
The nod was given to the ref to favour Melbourne in the 2nd half... ifgiven the opportunity. '

The reality is that if Melbourne lost the '99 Grand final, they may have been given the flick by now.

ok i guess I have to agree with you willow we should have lost it but you have to admit we have one of teh top 3 wingmen in the nrl in Marcus Bai do u agree?
Do you also agree that if it wasn't for the Storm, league would be almost unknown in Melbourne? Some people in Victoria still get mixed up between league and union and just call them both rugby.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
psor:

The existence of the storm has helped to promote RL in Melbourne. I get the impression that many Melburnians are now aware that Rugby Union and Rugby League are different games. Thats something I guess. Quite an inroad...:eek:

P

pepe

welcome aboard ''poms suck'',don't you let those saints supporterstell you we were'nt worthy winners in 99'',afterall what a sham it would have been if the saints had won from 6th position,in the good old days of the final 5 they would have been 4 weeks into there end of season trip.

next they'll be telling you the so called forward pass on our first try was questionable,the goodyear blimp which hovered about 50 000ft above the ground convinced me it was a legitimate try,thankgod formodern technology !!!!

pepe

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Since when was the Goodyear blimp the referee? If it was just the one incident it wouldnt matter but we're talking about 'Billy's 20 minutes of shame'... it was disgraceful.
In any case the pass looked forward on the ground to all in attendance. Ref Bill was checking his hair at the time or was just too corrupt to make a ruling.

He was given the nod to favour Melbourne whenever the opportunity presented itself.