What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Sydney media hate rugby league?

T-Boon

Coach
I am on board with this. I think it is gold.

As I've said my only concern is that 40 metre touch finders seem very difficult to achieve. I think defences might just drop 2 back (fullback on the open side touch line and a winger on the blind side touch line - each maybe 5 metres in field to cover the middle to some extent). To me that might not be enough incentive for the attacking team to throw the ball around because it is only 1 less defender than would usually be in the defensive line.

If you made it a "30 metre kick rule" the threat would be so clear and present that they would need to drop 3 or even more back. That would open the game right up for backline play inside own half.

T-Boon

Coach
I do like the idea of turning the defences around but I'm just wondering if it would play out the way you think it will.

To do what you're suggesting though with the 0-50 -- a player has to catch a bomb clean, choose not to take the tap restart, read the defense 50 metres down field as the defensive line rushes them, kick the ball 50 metres with it landing in the field of play, and let it go into touch without any of those players lagging behind to intercept (which usually happens)?

But even if it did work the way you wanted it -- doesn't that mean on the last kick the team kick is sending player back to cover a potential kick return? Doesn't that mean there are fewer players chasing the ball on the kick? It seems like that advantages the team defending on their own goal line instead of the team attacking with the initial kick.

If it is caught on the full in goal or your 20 metre zone (i.e. defused bomb or whatever) you should get the benefit of an advantage rule similar to the English Premier League "free play rule" where you can counter attack for the full play "the advantage" with the knowledge that if you make an error it reverts back to your 20 metre restart.

docbrown

Coach
As I've said my only concern is that 40 metre touch finders seem very difficult to achieve. I think defences might just drop 2 back (fullback on the open side touch line and a winger on the blind side touch line - each maybe 5 metres in field to cover the middle to some extent). To me that might not be enough incentive for the attacking team to throw the ball around because it is only 1 less defender than would usually be in the defensive line.

If you made it a "30 metre kick rule" the threat would be so clear and present that they would need to drop 3 or even more back. That would open the game right up for backline play inside own half.

Well 30 metre kicks would be easier and occur more often. But the 40 metre ones are less difficult than you might presume, it mainly has that appearance because kickers have no incentive to take the option. The 40 metres makes it harder to pull those players up to the defensive line when needed -- basically there's a bigger gap to run or kick down the left & right wing. I think the reason why it was 40-20 originally was to balance between risk, difficult and reward but now the risk is too much for kickers to take -- the only answer is to make it less difficult - either as you say a 30 metre rule or as I suggest allowing players to do it any time from their own half as long as it goes 40 (as it's harder to defend).

How many players a defensive side drops back depends on the state of the game and it's likely to fluctuate. There's actually a lot to consider.

Think of it this way - the defence drop back the fullback and one winger - a smart attacking team will shift to the missing winger's gap and attack that side. So the defence either shifts the line to cover the gap or pulls the winger up. Pull him up -- you're open for a kick. Shift the line to one side, you're making holes in the middle. The fullback's on the left covering touch -- you keep kicking it to the middle drawing him further in field and leaving the left exposed, making him run & tire more. Then you kick it to the left to where he was, he fails to cover it so you get a 40 metre & extra set. So now the defence drop back both wingers & the fullback and there's gaps up the middle - a line break. So now you have to plug the gaps -- get the wingers covering both the kick and the line depending on the situation -- they have to keep on their toes the whole time.

It really does change the dynamics of the game.

docbrown

Coach
If it is caught on the full in goal or your 20 metre zone (i.e. defused bomb or whatever) you should get the benefit of an advantage rule similar to the English Premier League "free play rule" where you can counter attack for the full play "the advantage" with the knowledge that if you make an error it reverts back to your 20 metre restart.

But what constitutes an error to get a second go?

taipan

Referee
It's the infrequency of the kick out by the catcher that I'm getting at Doc.Of course if it happened most of the time,the attackers would get the message,and organise their defence accordingly.

That's why I suggested when the player who caught the ball had the time and space to boot the hell out of it.Which would not happen that often,the way players move up to tackle the defence in the in goal.

Yes they can kick for distance from the in goal when trapped,but the defence is predictably ready for it. when it goes 50 metres.

As I said Doc I'm a mere layman having played only 1 year of rl.
But I do believe there needs to be a better advantage territory wise ,for the defence who catches the ball on the full in the in goal,rather than the usual tap and run. Why not from the 50m mark.The bomb is a lottery for the defence ,they should be rewarded more for defusing the bomb,under so much pressure.
I also don't want a kick fest like union.I want a running game ,with more unpredictability.

I just want to see more initiative and invention in attack.The last minute in the G/F with plenty of ball movement,angle running and committed defence is what I'm getting at.Of course that sort of thing cannot be sustained,the pace is killing.

I guess that's why I enjoyed the Raiders in attack,they tried anything .

T-Boon

Coach
But what constitutes an error to get a second go?

Anything that results in a turn over of the ball - including a kick that is fielded by the opposition. I assume that is how it is with the Super Leagues 'free play rule'.

docbrown

Coach
I just want to see more initiative and invention in attack.The last minute in the G/F with plenty of ball movement,angle running and committed defence is what I'm getting at.Of course that sort of thing cannot be sustained,the pace is killing.

I guess that's why I enjoyed the Raiders in attack,they tried anything .

It's a unique idea, I can't say I've heard of it elsewhere - it kind of reminds me of those kicking duels a little bit. I was just trying to wrap my mind around what the incentive is for the catcher to choose to kick over taking a quick tap.

You'd think that most of time it's a winger or a fullback catching and those guys aren't well known for their kicking ability I guess.

I do agree with you about more invention in attack -- when teams race back for the 20 metre tap and catch the opposition off side you get broken defensive play -- it seems now too often though they just jog back now.

With the 20 metre restart I've often wondered if it would be better if they could tap anywhere along the 20 metre line -- that way the player can choose the spot where the defence is the weakest, rather than just run into a wall of prepared defenders up the middle.

docbrown

Coach
Anything that results in a turn over of the ball - including a kick that is fielded by the opposition. I assume that is how it is with the Super Leagues 'free play rule'.

So basically any scenario where the kicker doesn't make the 50metres or his side does successfully regather the football, they get a second go on the 20 metre line.

If that were the case then yeah the catcher would probably choose to kick more often if they're a competent kicker.

T-Boon

Coach
So basically any scenario where the kicker doesn't make the 50metres or his side does successfully regather the football, they get a second go on the 20 metre line.

If that were the case then yeah the catcher would probably choose to kick more often if they're a competent kicker.

Sorry Doc, I am confusing things here because my free play after defusing bomb in goal is a totally seperate idea to Taipan's kick for touch and get feed idea.

I am not suggesting the combining of the two.

I'll bow out.

RoosTah

Juniors
No coveragw of the test in either today's or Friday's SMH... seriously dont they know what city they're in?