What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is it...

yobbo84

First Grade
Why is it...

1. That a video referee can not rule on forward passes due to misleading camera angles, but they can use those same camera angles to determine if a player is offside or not?!

2. That referees in the last 5mins of a game will stop the clock when the ball has been dead for only about 10 seconds? They would not do this in the other 75mins. They're only meant to stop the clock for time-wasting, not to give the other side a chance.

3. That teams don't place a greater emphasis on distance when kicking for touch?! I hate it how my team only ever seems to make 10-15m from kicks when other teams make 30m.

4. Further to the above, why is it that kicks for touch always seem to miraculously cross the sideline right over a 10m line? Helping the referees mark an easy 10?

5. That if a player is infront of a kicker, not involved in the play, but inside the 10m when a teammate scores, it is no try and a penalty? But if the kick was a shocker and the ball hit the offside player, it'd be accidental offside and a scrum.

6. That referees have to wait for the OK from Nine/Foxsports before blowing time on for a match? The camera crew have been there for 4 hours and yet somehow they're never ready.

7. That when players want to stop a clock they can get the winger to pack a scrum at prop, a centre at hooker, and the fullback at lock, only to get back into normal position once the clock is stopped? The idea was that if one team is ready for the scrum, the referee stops the clock so as to not waste time. IMO whoever has packed the scrum when the clock is stopped must be forced to stay in that position when the actual scrum is packed. That'd teach players.

???

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
yobbo84 said:
Why is it...

1. That a video referee can not rule on forward passes due to misleading camera angles, but they can use those same camera angles to determine if a player is offside or not?!
???

Better still, why can they rule on knock-ons and not forward passes?

Danish

Referee
yobbo84 said:
Why is it...

Ruling on a forward pass has to take into account things like momentum, wind, angle of the hands etc. Ruling on offside requires only 1 frame of footage and is much easier to judge.

yobbo84 said:
2. That referees in the last 5mins of a game will stop the clock when the ball has been dead for only about 10 seconds? They would not do this in the other 75mins. They're only meant to stop the clock for time-wasting, not to give the other side a chance.

This is a bit of an odd occurance, but will advantage and disadvantage a team equally over the course of a season.

yobbo84 said:
3. That teams don't place a greater emphasis on distance when kicking for touch?! I hate it how my team only ever seems to make 10-15m from kicks when other teams make 30m.

You'll have to speak to JT about that.

Some kickers are not confident in themselves to kick it any further than that. A kicker like finch will not find touch 9 times out of 10 if he goes for a long touch finder. Might be the same with Wiliams.

yobbo84 said:
4. Further to the above, why is it that kicks for touch always seem to miraculously cross the sideline right over a 10m line? Helping the referees mark an easy 10?

I am more amazed that the touchie seldom has to move more than a couple metres from where he had positioned himself upfield. Great judge of where a kick is going to go, those touchies :sarcasm:

yobbo84 said:
4. That if a player is infront of a kicker, not involved in the play, but inside the 10m when a teammate scores, it is no try and a penalty? But if the kick was a shocker and the ball hit the offside player, it'd be accidental offside and a scrum.

Thats a penalty on both instances. Accidental offside no longer exists.

yobbo84 said:
5. That referees have to wait for the OK from Nine/Foxsports before blowing time on for a match? The camera crew have been there for 4 hours and yet somehow they're never ready.

they pay the bills, who cares?

yobbo84 said:
6. That when players want to stop a clock they can get the winger to pack a scrum at prop, a centre at hooker, and the fullback at lock, only to get back into normal position once the clock is stopped? The idea was that if one team is ready for the scrum, the referee stops the clock so as to not waste time. IMO whoever has packed the scrum when the clock is stopped must be forced to stay in that position when the actual scrum is packed. That'd teach players.

Agree whole heartedly here.

Would make for some interesting set plays when your half back and 2 centres are packing down in the frontrow :lol:

Lowdown

Juniors
Why is it that you have two 4's in your list of whinging and whining...

Here's my view:

1. Determining offside is much easier than forward passes. The issue with forward passes is that some are so blatant, that it's infuriating that the video ref CANNOT make a call, even though its blatant to all watching the replay (which begs the real question: WHY OH WHY DO TOUCHIES AND REFS MISS SO MANY FORWARD PASSES?!)

2. It makes the game more exciting when scores are close. Its what the fans and the players want (ie time to be stopped). Also - if they did this for the full 80 - then most matches would run over time with too many uneccessary stoppages.

3. Ask them...Kicking for touch is (a) harder to do (b) gives their forwards a rest and (c) prevents your team from smashing the fullback.

4. Touchies are lazy.

4(sic). Both rules suck

5. Your whinges are getting more pathetic

6. I agree. But when its your team who's behind on the scoreboard, you don't care - you just want time off ASAP.

Fatdog

Juniors
I dont know if this has been talked about in another thread, but in monday nights game the video ref was called on to judge if chris hicks had gone into touch before a try was scored late in the game. He hadn't gone into touch but in the same play two passes later a definate forward pass was thrown and none of the touchies or referees picked it up. The video ref obviously noticed the foraward pass, knew he couldn't rule on it so went through the replay about 10 times trying to find something to rule no try.
My question is, the person who recieved the forward pass was in front of the player who passed it when the ball left his hand. Could the video ref have called offside and ruled no try? in the end it had no bearing on the game but it did make it very close.

*Paul*

Juniors
1. Has been explained.
2. Annoys me too.
3. Ditto
4. Hadn't previously noted that, but obviously it's impossible for touchie to tell where's it's gone out to any great accuracy, so why not?
5. Because you had an opportunity to retire outside the ten maybe.
6.?
7.Doesn't bother me

Pigskin

Juniors
3. Lockyer is the best in the game for finding touch ... he consistently makes a LOT of ground and rarely fails to find touch.

In general, I think the Broncos suck at paying attention to small details, but at least this is one area they seem to have put some thought into. Combined with the fact that Lockyer has a long boot, it certainly is an advantage.

Now if we could just get Locky to go for more 40-20's like the one he pulled off recently, I think against Newcastle, things would be swell.

Oink !

yobbo84

First Grade
Why is it...

8. That players are allowed to get up after being tackled, take two steps forward and play-the-ball, putting the markers offside, and are just greeted with a "you shortened it!" by the referee?

9. That you're not allowed to take a quick tap anymore?

10. That a player having a b*tch about missing out on rep selection causes more uproar than a player hitting a woman over the head with a blackboard?

The mystery continues...

legend

Coach
On the forward pass issue, Manly were awarded a try last week when I believe it should have been ruled offside as the player came back from an offside position to grab a forward pass and then score.

This one has me baffled.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
5. I dont like that rule, but a player that hasnt gotten involved can get involved later on. What about the kicker, can he put the offside player onside? Cause a try like that got disallowed now Ive got no idea what the rule is.

MattJ

Juniors
11) why is abreviation such a long word?

12) If a quiz can be quizical, then what is a test?

13) How can there be such a thing as a self-help group?

14) if 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean the 5th person enjoys it?

15) Why are heammeroids called heammeroids and not asteroids?

[furrycat]

Coach
yobbo84 said:
Why is it...

5. That if a player is infront of a kicker, not involved in the play, but inside the 10m when a teammate scores, it is no try and a penalty? But if the kick was a shocker and the ball hit the offside player, it'd be accidental offside and a scrum.

6. That referees have to wait for the OK from Nine/Foxsports before blowing time on for a match? The camera crew have been there for 4 hours and yet somehow they're never ready.

7. That when players want to stop a clock they can get the winger to pack a scrum at prop, a centre at hooker, and the fullback at lock, only to get back into normal position once the clock is stopped? The idea was that if one team is ready for the scrum, the referee stops the clock so as to not waste time. IMO whoever has packed the scrum when the clock is stopped must be forced to stay in that position when the actual scrum is packed. That'd teach players.

???

LOL...!

Since when can players float forward or go backwards out of the hands then float forward?!?! :lol:

It is EASY to tell if a player is offside by the ground markings...!

Jesus that is the worst comment i've ever read.

yobbo84

First Grade
[furrycat] said:
LOL...!

Since when can players float forward or go backwards out of the hands then float forward?!?! :lol:

It is EASY to tell if a player is offside by the ground markings...!

Jesus that is the worst comment i've ever read.

Is there a ground marking 5m out from the try line? Can you tell exactly if an attack is behind a kicker in those instances, especially in places like Penrith where the wide-angle camera is on the 30m line?

[furrycat]

Coach
yobbo84 said:
Is there a ground marking 5m out from the try line? Can you tell exactly if an attack is behind a kicker in those instances, especially in places like Penrith where the wide-angle camera is on the 30m line?

5m out... You can see how far away the kicker is from the 10m.. Judge it that way

You look across the park and can see the same thing with another player.

My god :roll: FFS you're telling me you can't see if a player is offside or not from a replay?

IT MUST BE AN OPTICAL ILLUSION :crazy:

jimmythehand

Juniors
[furrycat] said:
5m out... You can see how far away the kicker is from the 10m.. Judge it that way

You look across the park and can see the same thing with another player.

My god :roll: FFS you're telling me you can't see if a player is offside or not from a replay?

IT MUST BE AN OPTICAL ILLUSION :crazy:

from some camera angles it's impossible to tell if someone is offside or not. i saw about 3 instances of this on the weekend. In each case the benefit of the doubt just went to the attacking side.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
MattJ said:
11) why is abreviation such a long word?

12) If a quiz can be quizical, then what is a test?

13) How can there be such a thing as a self-help group?

14) if 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean the 5th person enjoys it?

15) Why are heammeroids called heammeroids and not asteroids?

abreviation comes from the Greek Language.
self help group is a bunch of yobbos helping themselves to the bar when the barman is paying out the pokies
the 5th person has the milkshake
astrix has asteroids.

so can you tell me,Why is Souths in the Competition as they will never win another premiership?

Fluffy

Juniors
legend said:
On the forward pass issue, Manly were awarded a try last week when I believe it should have been ruled offside as the player came back from an offside position to grab a forward pass and then score.

This one has me baffled.

Yep shouldnt have been a try but neither should have 2 others of the cowboys. Let alone a few others in general play from both sides. The ref thought it was union or gridiron i think.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Raiding Dazz said:
abreviation comes from the Greek Language.
self help group is a bunch of yobbos helping themselves to the bar when the barman is paying out the pokies
the 5th person has the milkshake
astrix has asteroids.

so can you tell me,Why is Souths in the Competition as they will never win another premiership?

Can you tell me why you're missing vital brain cells?