What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why?

GBT

Juniors
What is a gay sport?

Is it played in Paris?

And does labelling anything 'gay' get some people off?

CyberKev

Staff member
With an avatar like that one I wouldn't be in a rush to throw around the 'gay' aspersions.

Mind you, I think the very concept of this thread is steeped in gayness...

Super weak, totally lame.

CyberKev

Anonymous

Juniors
DvdHntr said:
Is this Gay sport on this forum????

Someone here loves the Rooster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
...loving a Rooster that is.

millersnose

Post Whore
sSHYTE

i am with you mr hunter

AFL ???????????

the enemy ???????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

CyberKev

Staff member
millersnose said:
AFL ???????????

the enemy ???????

Get serious, get STIHL!

You make it sound like hand-to-hand combat, but a lot of the time these 'enemies' don't even see one another.

There are four types of people...

1) Those who like AFL and loathe RL

2) Those who like RL and loathe AFL

3) Those who enjoy both sports

4) Those who don't like either

It is this way, has always been this way, and most likely always will be this way. As a consequence, AFL & RL aren't particularly serious enemies at all and both will survive comfortably due to the truisms of the four-tiered structure mentioned above.

Where both codes are starting to struggle is in the recruiting of new players to grass roots competitions, and this is because of the surging popularity of soccer and basketball, which are the true enemies of both RL & AFL.

If you want to fight a war you need to have a clear grasp of who the enemy is...

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Kev, I agree with most of your points. However, soccer and basketball are no more enemies of rugby league than the AFL is, competitors, yes! TGG's greatest enemy is still rugby union - and I don't mean all rugger fans are the enemy.

Has the VFL/AFL or whateverelseFL ever outlawed Rugby League?

Most League's fan in GB, France and to a lesser extent, NZ, hardly know what Aussie Rules is and those who do probably see the AFL as an irrelevance, a strange sport that only Aussies could invent.

Blade

Juniors
CyberKev wrote: With an avatar like that one I wouldn't be in a rush to throw around the 'gay' aspersions.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh...great to have you on board Kev :)

millersnose

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
millersnose said:
AFL ???????????

the enemy ???????

Get serious, get STIHL!

You make it sound like hand-to-hand combat, but a lot of the time these 'enemies' don't even see one another.

There are four types of people...

1) Those who like AFL and loathe RL

2) Those who like RL and loathe AFL

3) Those who enjoy both sports

4) Those who don't like either

It is this way, has always been this way, and most likely always will be this way. As a consequence, AFL & RL aren't particularly serious enemies at all and both will survive comfortably due to the truisms of the four-tiered structure mentioned above.

Where both codes are starting to struggle is in the recruiting of new players to grass roots competitions, and this is because of the surging popularity of soccer and basketball, which are the true enemies of both RL & AFL.

If you want to fight a war you need to have a clear grasp of who the enemy is...

CyberKev

actually that is a pretty good argument cyberkev

i still think afl sucks though :)

CyberKev

Staff member
millersnose said:
CyberKev said:
millersnose said:
AFL ???????????

actually that is a pretty good argument cyberkev

i still think afl sucks though :)

No wucks, Old Son!

Basketball fans have hit me with some good pro arguments for their sport over the years, but I still loathe it! ;-)

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
GBT said:
Kev, I agree with most of your points. However, soccer and basketball are no more enemies of rugby league than the AFL is, competitors, yes!

Yes, Gav.

'Competitors' is certainly a term that fits more accurately in the circumstances...

It is also worth remembering that the nature of this competition isn't always derived implicitly from the sports themselves.

Concerns over injuries obviously make the idea of foregoing grassroots football on a weekend for basketball on a weeknight a more attractive option.

There is also the more obvious issue of changes to working habits, meaning that it isn't always easy for some people to play competitive football on a weekend these days.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
Blade said:
[

Thanks for the welcome, Old Son.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the new handles being used on this forum by old LWOS types. Did I know you by a different handle on either LWOS or WORL?

Cheers

CyberKev

Blade

Juniors
CyberKev said:
Blade said:
[

Thanks for the welcome, Old Son.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the new handles being used on this forum by old LWOS types. Did I know you by a different handle on either LWOS or WORL?

Cheers

CyberKev

Yes you did Kev.

I was a poster at LWOS and then made the transit over here when the advertisment was posted there. I've changed my username for personal reasons. I didn't have a problem with anyone over at LWOS, if you or anyone else's wondering I did so to hide under an alias here. I just decided a new forum = a new start. I've also altered my character and persona from LWOS. I decided to "open" up a little more and not be so 'serious' in discussions. Many probably wouldn't believe it's me if they new the name I posted under at LWOS.

Anyway....

Maybe one day further down the track sometime I'll reveal my LWOS identity, but for the time being only two other posters here no my LWOS identity and I feel safe under their secrecy. This way suits me fine.

To everbody else apart from those two, I'm Blade :D

Again, good to have you on TFR wagon Kev :)

CyberKev

Staff member
[quote="Blade
Maybe one day further down the track sometime I'll reveal my LWOS identity, but for the time being only two other posters here no my LWOS identity and I feel safe under their secrecy. This way suits me fine.
[/quote]

Say no more...

A cyberinternational man of mystery... I've still got enough romanticism in me to like the idea, so I shall pry no further.

Thx again for the warm welcome...

CyberKev

Alan Shore

First Grade
GBT said:

No, but in Victoria they virtually have. Coming out in the press all the time bagging it out, and then you have the CEO of Channel 9 Melbourne, who is a AFL plant. No wonder RL never gets a decent run on TV.

GBT

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
GBT said:

No, but in Victoria they virtually have. Coming out in the press all the time bagging it out, and then you have the CEO of Channel 9 Melbourne, who is a AFL plant. No wonder RL never gets a decent run on TV.

Virtually? But it hasn't happened has it.

I'm not condoning the actions of the media in Melbourne, but to try and equate that situation with what union has achieved over the years is ridiculous.

Maybe you should tune in to the BBC and get a dose of their union agenda, or try the print media in the UK.

CyberKev

Staff member
Tamazoid said:
GBT said:

Now lets just get one thing clear...

I've lived in Victoria and now I'm living in the ACT (where I'm immersed in the Sydney media) and the difference between the Melbourne and Sydney Press over the main codes is equivalent to the difference between tomarto and tomayto.

The Sydney media is actually a little bit more hostile toward AFL than the Melbourne media is towards NRL. Neither the AFL nor the NRL are going to go out of their way to give the opposition an easy ride, but you have to be careful to distinguish the media from the codes. The media in Australia (as with other Western countries) is as ultra-conservative an establishment as you could get north, south, east, west of the friggin' Melbourne Club! The Sydney media know that NRL is their bread & butter and the Melbourne Press earns much of its bread through washing its back pages with AFL minutia. This is why the Herald-Sun will give one page tops to RL and the Herald will give one page tops to AFL... Its also why the journos at each paper will occasionally give the opposition code the occasional spray to get the readership off, although again this is more common from the Sydney scribes. I suspect the Melbourne scribes are more interested in manufacturing internal AFL dramas than potshotting the NRL...

It may not be kosher, but that's the way life goes for football followers in hostile regions. Screw 'em and log onto the Net for your sport fix, I say :)

CyberKev

Latest posts